Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Iranian mastersmith Mr. Farajian passed away: very sad news

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Thanks Mumtaz, couple of years ago I explained the situation to you clearly. That you need a permit from Cultural Heritage. Getting that permission was not a problem as I said. But you prefered to wait a bit. Later as I mentioned to you the law changed. You need now a permit from Cultural Heritage (that the piece is not antique) and also from the Army (as it is a weapon). The latter is hard to obtain. Both are possible to get but it takes time as you need to apply in Tehran. The problem is not getting the permits but that you can send them via mail service. You need to take them out yourself declaring the piece with the papers at the airport. All is possible but it takes time as I mentioend it to you.

Now the owners of his pieces have cultural relics as sad as it sounds. I will tell his family your message, but I have not managed to contact the family myself. The shop is closed for forty days as I was told by Ms. Taherkahni, and after that I can tell him.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

So you did Manoucher Jan. I was not implying that you had not helped me, so sorry about the misunderstanding there.
    Anyways, it was a pleasure to have seen his work and read articles and your experiences with the man, so I thankyou for bringing his work to this forum
    "If metal can be polished to a mirror-like finish,
    What polishing might the Mirror of the Heart require"

Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Carlo,

Thanks for the note. I finally managed to talk to his son who was of course very sad. His son is alsoa very good smith. However, he told me that many mass-produced knives and edged weapons from China flooded the market and hence many smiths working in the traditional methods cannot compete with. The reason is of course the cheap price and people go for that. He said that many knifemakres quit doing their job because of that. They talked to Cultural Heritage and Handicraft, but it is hard to influence the market as you know. I only hope that his son will continue the tradition as he is an excellent smith himself.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
    So the cheap blades from China are affecting smiths from Iran too. I find this very disheartening. I too hope Haji Mohammed Reza will continue his father's tradition.
    Last edited by Doug Mullane; 03-26-2007 at 01:25 PM.
    "If metal can be polished to a mirror-like finish,
    What polishing might the Mirror of the Heart require"

Rumi

Dear friends,

My new article on Ostad Farajian was just published.

http://www.persianmirror.com/Article...ubCategory=117

Kind regards

Manouchehr

thank you Manoucher
    that was a great article and a wonderful tribute to Ostad
    I've never met the man but i feel i know him well through your words..
    I'm very sorry for the loss

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. Obach View Post
    thank you Manoucher
    that was a great article and a wonderful tribute to Ostad
    I've never met the man but i feel i know him well through your words..
    I'm very sorry for the loss

Greg

Thanks Greg

Soon I will post more pictures of the work of Ostad as a student went to see his son and took many pictures.

Kind regards

MAnouchehr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12