Thread: Scottish Basket Hilted Broadsword?

Scottish Basket Hilted Broadsword?

Once again, I turn to the experts. Simply put, what I have I got my hands on? I recently acquired this sword and any information about it would be most appreciated. The guard appears to be gilt brass with a black leather grip and a relatively common pattern pierced guard. I doubt it was ever a battle sword as there's not evidence it was ever sharpened and it has a rounded tip. The blade shows signs of old gilt or brass wash and as you see in the pics, it looks like it was rubbed with coarse sandpaper. The inscription in faded, but seems to be F.E. & J.R. HOPKINSON LTD., CUTLERS, EST. 1700, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LawrenceN; 03-13-2018 at 01:56 PM.

A quick google search shows Hopkinson Ltd was established on 14 June 1944, now belonging to J Adams Ltd, Sheffield who are also the parent company to a very old firm, John Nowill & Sons established 1700, hence the cheeky date!
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 03-13-2018 at 09:35 AM.

I saw that sword pass through. I also found that the company was founded in 1944 (and used their 1700 connection quite liberally). This sword was probably made form what I understand between 1947 and 1970.

Thank you Max & Ben

As I'd asked though, what do I have? A wallhanger? A tourist piece? A ceremonial sword? I doubt it to be military issue due to the lack of any martial marking or cypher.

I'd bet it was conceived as a prize . . . haggis salesman of the year or some such. Wilkinson did a lot of business in these award-type swords in the '60s and '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cain View Post
    . . . haggis salesman of the year

First you have to catch them!

Maybe as an accessory for Highland Dancing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Grinly View Post
    Maybe as an accessory for Highland Dancing ?
    I had considered that, but it seems too well made for such a purpose. Perhaps for a pipe band or, as I'd mentioned, ceremonial purposes? It would be nice if someone either knew definitively or could point me in the right direction.

Lawrence, I think your best course of action would be to email J.Adams Ltd directly via their website on sheffieldknives.co.uk, hopefully they’ll have the answer, regards, Ben.
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 03-14-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Lawrence, I think your best course of action would be to email J.Adams Ltd directly via their website on sheffieldknives.co.uk, hopefully they’ll have the answer, regards, Ben.
    Thank you Ben. Unfortunately, I get a "bad gateway" error message when I try to access that website.

Yep, got the same now, try email josieinsales@sheffieldknives.co.uk