Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting bamboo with the Cheness Yamakami

Is there a echo in here?

Oh, sorry, just echoing your thoughts.

Actually the two posts are slightly different, and I think they happened because he has similar posts in a couple threads and probably forgot that he had already posted in this thread.

I am jealous though, as he now has a cool cutting stand, a cool sword, and a huge supply of bamboo.
    http://www.fragmentsoflight.com - Photography site and blog. Mostly Landscape shots.

Masahiro cutting stand

Well the stand only lasted 3 cuts ,it flew across my large cutting area in my back yard.The tube came completly off base ,I found that itwas held together with some type card board disc's that looked like they had been nailed together and glued the tube was glued to the base. I really cant get upset about it breaking because it is advertised for mats, and I wanted to cut bamboo. So a trip to the hardware store I found what i needed in the plumbing section. I spent about $25 more, now i have a bamboo cutting stand that will stand up to the pressure of hard bamboo cutting.I used the original post and completly diffrent base, and gorrilla glue, some long bolts . Any how If I ever need another stand i will know how to make it right.
    JIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anestasi View Post
    Well the stand only lasted 3 cuts ,it flew across my large cutting area in my back yard.The tube came completly off base ,I found that itwas held together with some type card board disc's that looked like they had been nailed together and glued the tube was glued to the base. I really cant get upset about it breaking because it is advertised for mats, and I wanted to cut bamboo. So a trip to the hardware store I found what i needed in the plumbing section. I spent about $25 more, now i have a bamboo cutting stand that will stand up to the pressure of hard bamboo cutting.I used the original post and completly diffrent base, and gorrilla glue, some long bolts . Any how If I ever need another stand i will know how to make it right.
    JIM.

GO GETTEM KILLER!!!!
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares, usually end up plowing for those who don't" :Benjamin Franklin

Hmm, I would think if it can handle mats then it should be able to survive bamboo. I would think that it may just not have a holder for the bamboo, but was made to hold mats.

I think this starts a new standard, destructive stand testing.
    http://www.fragmentsoflight.com - Photography site and blog. Mostly Landscape shots.

Angry Bad news.

Well guys some land developer dug all of bamboo up#$%#&^) dirty guy, Just when i finished my new stand!. So now the hunt begins, I just might order some bamboo from MAS, shipping would be very high, How ever that gas is well over3.00 a gallon , I might spend more just driving around trying to find some. Well see what happens.
    Thanks for listenind to my rant.

Jim.

Well, if you find cheap bamboo let us know. So far I am just cutting bottles as they fit the budget.

Talking Attacked by pool noodles with 1 " bamboo poles

There I was minding my own business when suddenly I was attacked by mutiple assassins armmed with pool noodles stuffed with 1 " bamboo. Lucky for me my mind was in state of zanshin, The yamakami flew into action blood flying everywhere .It was over before it began, the yamakami katana saved me again.

If any body wants a bit of fun try stuffing pool nooldes with hard dry bamboo

poles, This will have to do until I find another source. Cost 1.49 bamboo poles , Pool noodles 1.50 at wal mart. Have fun be happy. Jim.

Has anyone tried growing bamboo?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Hill View Post
    I can't say that I have although I did experiment with similarly thick and fibrous cannabis stalks in college. My Ontario/GI machete made short work of them.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Yes...And it took me almost a decade to get rid of it all! It grows and spreads like weeds do. It also grows as fast or faster than a weed. Nasty stuff!!!
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares, usually end up plowing for those who don't" :Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    I can't say that I have although I did experiment with similarly thick and fibrous cannabis stalks in college. My Ontario/GI machete made short work of them.

Haha! Probably, "I am growing it for sword cutting practice, officer" wouldn't fly as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Hedgespeth View Post
    Yes...And it took me almost a decade to get rid of it all! It grows and spreads like weeds do. It also grows as fast or faster than a weed. Nasty stuff!!!
    But in a way it sounds perfect for something that some here use up pretty quickly, cut anyways and otherwise have to pay for (I have acreage). If I try it, I'll report back.

It could be like Tom Sawyer; you could have a monthly cutting party and all of the local swordsmen would scramble to help you cut it! It would look like the final fight sequence of a 70's samurai film or "Kill Bill"!

But in a way it sounds perfect for something that some here use up pretty quickly, cut anyways and otherwise have to pay for (I have acreage). If I try it, I'll report back.

It could be like Tom Sawyer; you could have a monthly cutting party and all of the local swordsmen would scramble to help you cut it! It would look like the final fight sequence of a 70's samurai film or "Kill Bill"!
    Well, unless you live in Antarctica, you should not have a problem growing it. The problem is KEEPING it where you want it to grow. It tends to root down and then come up in a different area...It daisy-chains itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    uhum, oh yeah me too just experimentation I swear......(cough)

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

cutting party

RHill , After the cutting party we can put it in alarge pile and have a bon fire,then we can sit around the fire and meditate and practice deep breathing.
    cough, cough.
    Jim.

What is it about common sense that seems so elusive to some?
    Put a lid on it for crissake. Stop proving how stupid it is.

It is not just the outside world of pedestrians that watches, reads and listens. Keyword searches have nothing on tracking that has been going on for decades. Think about that. Think even more carefully about the quite wide range of professionals that participate here. Gee, I wonder who may be reading?

Cheers

Hotspur; there are other reasons not to joke about it

Forget it....

Link to photos of new sword

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kendoka66

Here are the rest of the photos of my new sword.
    Enjoy and let me know what you think!
    Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anestasi View Post
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kendoka66

Here are the rest of the photos of my new sword.
    Enjoy and let me know what you think!
    Thanks, Jim
    Was just looking at it on the other thread! Really nice! So, when are you sending it to me???

Ronin Bushi katana

J.H., lol,tomorrow I will see how it cuts, Two full mats await there destrution. I will let every one know how it does.

JIM.

Kentucky, where people date their sisters :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    What is it about common sense that seems so elusive to some?
    Put a lid on it for crissake. Stop proving how stupid it is.

It is not just the outside world of pedestrians that watches, reads and listens. Keyword searches have nothing on tracking that has been going on for decades. Think about that. Think even more carefully about the quite wide range of professionals that participate here. Gee, I wonder who may be reading?

Cheers

Hotspur; there are other reasons not to joke about it
    AHHHH!!! HIDE!! ITS THE FUN POLICE!

Seriously Glen, calm down man, your gonna have a heart attack, or stroke.

Go on over next to Jim's "bonfire", and take a DEEP breath. There, all better.

Talking Pool noodles

Bon fire is out!. I've noticed there is quite a lot of difference in size and length, also the material that i bought from wall mart is a very heavy substance. It seems to be a firm styrofoam of some kind. The first ones were smaller in diam. and i could slide 1" bamboo in the hole and would be fairly snug. My wife bought some that has a much larger hole so 11/2'' inch bamboo would fit better but were still a little loose. I thought pool noodles were flimsy?. Just wondering.

Getting ready for another attack from those silent assassins.

Jim

Talking cutting bamboo wiith Chenese Yamakami Katana

I found some dry bamboo at the local mursery 1'' & 1/12''. I stuff the bamboo int o the matching holes. This way it keeps the dry bamboo from shattering
    I'm able to get about 6 or 8 cuts per pole. With out the firm pool noodel's the poles splinter & shatter,so much so that I had to use my very fine file set. Did'nt like to To do that but i thought it was needed, after all that what i bought this SGC for. BTW the tsuka ito is still tight how ever the fuchi, kashira are a bit loose. I cut every week both heavy mats & dry bamboo. I'm still looking for some green bamboo.

Thanks for reading Jim

Cool Green Bamboo

Hi Guy's, Thought I would let you know That I ordered some bamboo from M.A.S.,I gave up finding the type of bamboo I like to cut around here .I received an email from them that it will be about three weeks before they can ship. Seems That there farm will be closed for two weeks. So I'm still using pool noodles stuffed with dry bamboo. I'm will test all of my swords when it arrives to see how they perform , should be interesting as I will start with the Yamakami then try the others.

FWIW. Jim.

Unhappy Yamakami katana

I'm Sorry to report that it is out of commission , The deadly cracked tsuka virus has put it out of order. Since I have bamboo coming I thought a check up was needed ,so when I looked down the throat of the tsuka I saw two crack's on each side at the top also the lower split was no longer glued together.So I called Paul Chen and told him about it. He told me that he was out of new tsuka's for the Yamakami and his next shipment would be in around next month. he said that the have changed the design & should ease the problem. He stated tha only about 2% of all the swords he sells have had this problem , it sounds like a lot more than that if you read in this forum. Also we talked about sharpening the blade and he gave me a couple of pointers on how I could do this, first he said to try 600 & 900 grit sand paper next he mentioned Spyderco's expensive sharpener .$ 59.00. I went shopping and found this neat little 2 step sharpener made by Smith's,it has a carbide on one side & a ceramic finisher on the other It also it has dual non slip rubber feet. I sharpened all my knives first And it worked like magic. So then I tried it on the yamaKami I put The sharpener in a vise then then pulled it along the "ha" several times And the rough edge was no longer rough, it was sharp So I flipped it over and did the same, The blade is very sharp now. Stay tuned as I will let you know how thing work out when the tsuka arrives.

Jim.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast