Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting bamboo with the Cheness Yamakami

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anestasi View Post
    he mentioned Spyderco's expensive sharpener .$ 59.00.
    Hey Jim...Do you have a source or model number of the sharpener?
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares, usually end up plowing for those who don't" :Benjamin Franklin

Cool Knife sharpener

J.
    It is Smith's 2 step,here is the web site www.smithabrasives.com . IT cost me $5.00
    JIM.

J.
    It is Smith's 2 step,here is the web site www.smithabrasives.com . IT cost me $5.00
    JIM.

Thanks Jim...I've seen them at Gu_ and Knife shows before. I really never tried one, although I do know people that sharpen their knives with them and they swear by the darn things.
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares, usually end up plowing for those who don't" :Benjamin Franklin

Smile Tsuka & bamboo

Hello everyone,

Well yesterday I received some good news, Paul Chen is sending a new tsuka for the Yamakami Katana at No charge!.He told me that I should drill new holes ,offset from each other. Has any one tried this?, what should I look for?, do & don'ts.
    The Bamboo from M.A.S. will be shipped to day!.

Jim

Unhappy Tsuka,

Just to keep you guy's informed the replacement arrived but did not fit. It was to small for this Yamakami katana.
    It was so small I thought that they may have changed it some where in the past.I also tried to make it fit,I made some progress but if I try anymore the tsuka will split. I sent Paul Chen a message sunday night ,I haven't heard from him as yet.
    So for now I am without my main cutting katana until I get this problem resolved.
    Some of the formites think I should ask for a refund,Im not sure if Paul would do that,since I have had this sword for 7 months and have been cutting tatami omote & bamboo. When the tsuka cracked.
    I'm going to send him another message, and see what happens.
    Jim

"Spyderco's expensive sharpener .$ 59.00. I went shopping and found this neat little 2 step sharpener made by Smith's,it has a carbide on one side & a ceramic finisher on the other It also it has dual non slip rubber feet. I sharpened all my knives first And it worked like magic. So then I tried it on the yamaKami I put The sharpener in a vise then then pulled it along the "ha" several times And the rough edge was no longer rough, it was sharp So I flipped it over and did the same, The blade is very sharp now. Stay tuned as I will let you know how thing work out when the tsuka arrives."

jim anestasi

where did you get it? what exactly was the name?
    Last edited by sal v.; 08-15-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: mistake

Smile Smith's 2 step

Hi Sal, Go back & read post #52 or 53.

Jim

heh

thanks jim, didn't see that lol it looks good, do you have one? i would like a cheap one too sharpen all my blades

Installing tsuka;

Just finished, drilled the tsuka & put the pins in, now I can try to see if it will stand up to some cutting tonight. I took some measurements before hand and that helped with marking the ana's, so I didn't have to drill the nakago, the mekugi went in with a few taps.
    Stay tuned more to come .
    Jim

Insalling Tsuka;

Hold everything ,I received a message from Paul Chen,He wants me to send pictures of the tsuka so he can see what the problem is, He warns me not to cut with the Yamakami Katana. Until he can see whats wrong with batch of tsukas,he said that he would send me another new tsuka after he inspects them.
    I will report on this later.
    Jim

Smile Cutting bamboo with the Cheness Yamakami

Lets Get caught up,Well I sent pic's to Paul Chen and he is sending me another Tsuka and should be here any day now.When it arrives I will mount it and hopefully with out trouble. Also My order of bamboo arrived this morning.Things are looking up!.
    The last tsuka that he sent me had a different wood than the original,as it has a tighter grain.
    I took the original apart to see how it was made as it was cracked in three places and two of the splits were 6"long on the right mune side & one on the left side as well the bottom the ha edge.
    On inspection The channels for the tsuka were just dug out no real attempt to fit the nakago at all.
    It looks like they use some kind of two sided tape for the "same" as it is very sticky also the cotton ito was also glued on with the same stuff,It sure work good.

Stay tuned as I travel this crooked road.

Jim

Hold everything ,I received a message from Paul Chen,He wants me to send pictures of the tsuka so he can see what the problem is, He warns me not to cut with the Yamakami Katana. Until he can see whats wrong with batch of tsukas,he said that he would send me another new tsuka after he inspects them.
    I will report on this later.
    Jim
    Mr. Anestasi,

Two thumbs up for checking the tsuka prior to a catastrophic failure. Your continued health and well being are important to us.

But tsuka (replacement or otherwise) should NOT be made in "batches".
    The tang of your sword is like a snowflake, unique and individual.
    If you were having a qualified tsukamakishi replace the handle of your sword, they would have you ship the blade to them so they could craft a new tsuka core to fit. This is pretty standard.
    Of course, this service (rightly) costs more than you actually paid for this particular blade.

I'll leave out the cliches ...

Best Regards,
    Michael Mason
    Shinkendo New York @ Brooklyn Dojo
    www.brooklyndojo.com/shinkendo

"Things are more like they are now, than they have ever been before" - JCK

Cutting bamboo with the Cheness Yamakami

Hello Michael, It's good to hear from you and thanks for your concerns.
    I have been thinking about getting a custom tsuka made, The cost has stopped me from doing it at this time,however I have contacted a fellow about it. The safety of the tsuka is my prime concern. When the new one arrives I'm taking it to my old friend,since he is a master stock maker & G.S..He has all of the wood carving machines so I will see if he could carve one for me.Also he has a long device for looking down barrels, so we will be looking down inside the tsuka to see if it has a channel for the nakago or not.
    Stay tuned, Jim

tsukikage

i was looking at the cheness tsukikage, and i really want the wakizashi version, it looks great. but how are the blades?how:

balanced are they
    looks and appearances
    blade geometry
    sori
    broadness

all aspects of this fine looking sword!

Wink Cutting Bamboo With The Cheness Yamakami;

Hi Sal,
    If you read this post from the start you will find out about all your questions.
    The blade is IMO is exceptional it can handle just about every thing you try to cut excluding cement blocks etc.
    Since I dont have the Wak version I can't pass judgement on it,However the 9260 blade is a superior steel for every day cutting.
    My only problem is with the Tsuka!, Swords made for cutting with this type of steel should have a better tsuka ,it should be able to
    withstand the rigors of heavy cutting.Since this type of sword is advertised for cutting heavy Goza etc.,The tsuka is a weak link in
    this sword.
    Paul Chen is great on handling all your problem's quickly & efficiently.

Regards,
    Jim

ditto

Hi Sal,
    If you read this post from the start you will find out about all your questions.
    The blade is IMO is exceptional it can handle just about every thing you try to cut excluding cement blocks etc.
    Since I dont have the Wak version I can't pass judgement on it,However the 9260 blade is a superior steel for every day cutting.
    My only problem is with the Tsuka!, Swords made for cutting with this type of steel should have a better tsuka ,it should be able to
    withstand the rigors of heavy cutting.Since this type of sword is advertised for cutting heavy Goza etc.,The tsuka is a weak link in
    this sword.

Regards,
    Jim
    I have after my 1st tsuba failure,fixed or made my own Not authentic but sound as I didnt have a clue what authentic was. So if the tsuba was loose I would coat the tang,the wood under the fuchi,the peg's and hole's with grease.Nexed I take epoxy and coat the inside of the tsuba.Replace the blade into the tsuba with mekugi''greased'' and clean away any exess epoxy.When the epoxy is allmost cured I remove the mekugi and blade.Wait for a full cure then clean the grease away, replace the blade for a tighter than hell fit and if there were cracks they now have 2 ton epoxy in them.Try it on a hanwei practical,the sword will hum in your hand.I've never had a failure of these tsukas done this way .$4.00 and 20 minutes.I now do this to my cutters out of the box.

Hi Sal,
    this sword.

Regards,
    Jim
    yeah i know,Mr.Chen is a good guy, i speak with him quite often. is there any place where i can find a person to make me a good tsuka?custom tsuka are hard to find...

Wink Tsuka's

Hi Sal,
    Sal as to your request for information you should go Cheness Web site as all the stats are there.
    I can't comment on the Tsukikage Wak.
    On my Yamakami katana is blade heavy as it should be,The weight is 3 lbs.with out bo-hi.
    If you do a search here on S.F.I. I'm sure you will find a source.

Here are a few that come to mind [ brian@roninswords.com.]
    Try Fred Lohman at shadow of leaves,also Thomas L. Buck at
    [ http://pages.prodigy.net/tlbuck/maki.htm].

Have fun, Jim

Hi Sal,
    Sal as to your request for information you should go Cheness Web site as all the stats are there.
    I can't comment on the Tsukikage Wak.
    On my Yamakami katana is blade heavy as it should be,The weight is 3 lbs.with out bo-hi.
    If you do a search here on S.F.I. I'm sure you will find a source.

Here are a few that come to mind [ brian@roninswords.com.]
    Try Fred Lohman at shadow of leaves,also Thomas L. Buck at
    [ http://pages.prodigy.net/tlbuck/maki.htm].

Have fun, Jim
    yes, i have gone onto the cheness site a lot...and the blade looks great,obviously i will be able to do light cutting with such a sharp blade. but i want it more for decoration at this point...but i still need martial arts training, so i will probably not get it in awhile anyway.

thank though

Wink Tried Again;

Well Guy's,
    The last tsuka cracked along the ''same'' panels about 6" on both sides,P.C. sent it to me at no charge. I was sure disappointed to say the least when it cracked while inserting the nakago, very gently it made it to within about 1 1/2" from seating all the way. So I am going to make a non traditional Tsuka from a pick & mattocks hard wood handle.
    Tomorrow I will start this adventure with a trip to my G.S. who is a master stock maker,we will saw the handle in 1/2, inlet the nakago then epoxy together so it will be removable ,I plan not to wrap the handle but file groves at angles along the sides before the final finish is put on.Iwill use the existing ana's and mekugi's,also the F&K will be used.
    I will keep you informed.
    I think I sense a presence lurking out behind the bamboo stand, if it is what I think is there will be bamboo flying for sure.
    Jim

You Go Girl..uh..jim!

Talking Cutting Bamboo;

So I did sense a presence ,Watch out for all that falling chips of bamboo.
    The project starts tomorrow,we will see how it goes.
    Jim

Awesome, Keep us posted with pics.

It certainly doesn't SEEM that hard to make a new tsuka, atleast with basic wood working knowledge and the right tools (something i Don't have), wish i can borrow a High schools tech workshop for a weekend, it'll be a blast...

Tsuka Wood Making

Well I'm back & the crooked road took some strange twists as we last talked. I had to put every thing on hold as my wife came down with pneumonia and was in the hospital for a week, she is home & recovering slowly. So I have been busy around here. I did start my my project on building my own non traditional tsuka. I have one side in-letted man did I chose some hard wood,and not having the correct tools made it harder to dig it out. My Gun Smith was swamped with work so he did cut the handle in half for me,Since the handle was oval he made a special jig to hold it from moving while the saw blade did its thing. I need to buy some more tools to help with the next side.
    I plan on taking some pictures so you can see how it turns out.I'm having one of the forum family make another traditional Tsuka at the same time just in case mine doesn't work out.
    Stay tuned.
    Jim

Wink Cutting Bamboo with the Cheness Yamakami

Hello Out There, Ive been absent for awhile,soI will let you know what has happened since my last post. First of all I sent my Yamakami to Skip Gardner a friendly formite to make me a new custom Tsuka for me,on the way the saya has cracked a long the Ha at the seam. Skip will try and repair it also. I sent an email to Paul Chen (cheness) to ask him if he had any spare saya's for the Yamakami Katanas, he answered my inquiry very quickly and informed me that he has not need to stock any for the SGC series of swords. His normal price for a saya is $30.00. I was hoping he had them on stock.I really have no problems with THe steel but the hardware are sub par. If I bought another one I would get it in a shirasaya, Then I would send it off for a custom Tsuka & saya.
    I had started my own tsuka and I did get one side done, but I got carried away with a chisel and cracked it while I was cutting a line of the Nakago, I don't know If it can be repaired or not. I started with an oval handle, that was a mistake,2 blocks of wood would have been the way to go. Live & learn.
    When Skip gets all done I will write a revue with pictures.
    Stay tuned.
    Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast