Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Horrbile cutting accident...

I am very sorry to hear about this horrible accident. I hope he gets well soon. Please take care.
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's accident. He's been very active here on the forums, and has always been eager to share advice and experiance. It is a shame that he had to pay for another person's angry mistake.

Thankfully he was brought to the hospital in time to avert a true tragedy. My best wishes for his full recovery, and my warmest thoughts to you in what must be a highly stressful time.

C Yarbrough

Yuuki o dashite.

Mrs. W.

Our prayers are with you and your husband. As you can see from the many posts, there are many here who thank you for sharing this burden and hope we can help in some way.

Thank you for being so brave and letting us all know of this incident so we can attempt to prevent another such terrible thing in the future.

Kindest regards,

Will MacLaren
    Where there's a Will, there's a Way.

Very Sorry...

Very sorry to hear of this accident....I don't personally know your husband, but have read with interest his posts since I joined this Forum a short while ago. I very much enjoy his postings for his insight and information, he takes the time to help others with their problems...... I pray that he heal up swiftly, with no lasting effects .....
    Onward, Ever Onward......Skip Allen

"Honor has not to be won; it must only not be Lost"........Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !!".......
    Patrick Henry, to the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

Your both in our prayers here at BKS. never like to hear stuff like this.
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife

My thoughts and prayers will be with you both, as are all those of fellow SFI members. I had only spoken with Mr. Watanabe a few times, but even in those few discussions hold so much respect for him. His caring and understanding for others, as well as his enriching and inspiring views of life are something we all should take to heart. I do hope he is well and will be home soon.

There is one undisputable fact about swords: They are weapons. Everyone must hold respect for them as truly your safety is always at risk. No matter who you are or what skill you have, a sword is deadly. Period.
    "There are three stages to being a swordsman...the third is where the sword disappears completely and in the warrior's heart there is only peace and a wish to coexist with everything around him."

Originally from California...but now stuck in the Midwest.
    Hello, fellow forumites. This is Hakujou (I was finally able to come home today from the hospital); I'd like to say that all of your words have touched me a great deal. My wife and I thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for your concerns. However, I do not want for this thread to be focused about me and my health. I am still alive, so all is well; thanks again for your heartfelt concerns. Furthermore, please don't let this thread, nor any future threads, antagonize Mr. Chen and his products, nor any other company/forge/individual. Even this co-worker of mine, whom my wifed named "T.J.," should not be to blame for such an accident. If anything, I am the one to blame. I failed to see the obvious signs that can spell disaster because I wanted so much to help out my co-worker to ensure that he won't hurt himself, nor anyone else, from future improper usage of his katana. However, ironically, my attempts were futile and it was I who ended up injured.

In truth, my wife has made T.J. sound more of a menace than he really is. I became acquainted with T.J. a few months ago at our workplace; he's very fascinated by the Japanese culture, especially the katana, but because he lacks an Internet service provider in his home (to find out more information about the katana and the culture behind it) and he knew no one who is trained in the art, he had to self-teach himself, as well as learn all that he can about the katana through...Hollywood. T.J. is a very nice man, although he can be quite arrogant and stubborn!

T.J.'s sword is indeed a Cheness. The katana is a previous generation Cheness sword that has been discontinued for almost one year. I give you my word that it is indeed the Higo, with the Musashi double-ring tsuba. There is only one mekugi-ana, as this is the case with many of the older Cheness katana that have since been discontinued. When I first got the opportunity to have a look at his sword, T.J. told me that he purchased it at a local yardsale for $50, so its history prior to his purchase is unknown. When I was at his house, I asked to hold the sword so I can inspect it further, but he refused, saying that this sword is precious to him and he has never let anyone else hold it. At that point, I should have thought, "RED FLAG!" but I respected T.J.'s wishes, as I would with anyone else's. From what I was able to see, there appeared to be lots of scratches that can be seen on the blade, but all were just superficial. There were also some rust spots that formed throughout the nagasa. I asked him about the scratches, and he said that they were "Battle scars." I should have realized that this sword has been ill-kept, but once more I gave T.J. the benefit of the the doubt since he wasn't able to be taught the proper ways of sword maintenance.

After the accident in his backyard, he came to visit me in the hospital with a basket full of fruits, some flowers, and a get-well-soon card. We talked for a bit and he actually confessed to me that he has lost the original bamboo mekugi some time ago, so he used a wooden mekugi carved out of a twig in his backyard. He said that he has had the sword for over two years, and in the course of those two years, he has attempted to cut many things, ranging from two-inch thick plywood, 5-inch in diameter bamboo, to even the trunks of trees, just whacking away at them. This must have been the reason to why the tsuka failed. When I inspected his sword earlier today, I noticed that the tsuka did indeed have a crack inside of it, running almost horizontal to its length and straight through the mekugi-ana. So for all you forumites wondering whether the blade snapped or the tsuka failed, it is indeed the latter. The tsuka core, as well as the "mekugi," cracked from all the years of abuse, resulting in the blade flying out of the tsuka.

This experience further supports my earlier statements that katana owners MUST--and I truly stress MUST-- invest more money in ensuring their tsuka are properly and tightly fitted. As I have said in the past, please don't cut corners the same way a lot of Chinese forges are doing. If you want to purchase a $200 katana for tameshigiri, I'd suggest you invest at least $100 more in having the tsuka redone by a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL. Should your tsuka age, please, PLEASE don't go the inexpensive route by attempting to build a new tsuka yourself. That is, UNLESS you are rebuilding a new tsuka for the sake of learning and nothing more, OR you yourself are a trained professional. OTHERWISE, LET TRAINED PROFESSIONALS DO THE JOB FOR YOU. You will not regret that decision. I would like to refer people to an earlier thread in which I wrote about tsuka being analogous to "brakes" in cars:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...205#post903205 (Scroll down to the bottom; my post is second to last.)

And also, please read this thread that was started by Jeff Ellis and pay EXTRA CLOSE ATTENTION to the comments expressed by Keith Larman:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=79250

HOWEVER, that is not to say that ALL katana within the $200 price range have improperly fitted tsuka. Please bear in mind that this accident that happened to me is an isolated event with unique factors that caused the tsuka to fail:

- Improper longterm usage of katana.
    - Improper techniques.
    - Missing bamboo mekugi.
    - Inability to rebuild new tsuka core.

Once more, I would like to stress how much we should not put the blame on T.J., for if we should take a closer look at him, we will see that he is in fact a mirror image of us all. There is a T.J. in all of us, so please bear that in mind and always be safe when handling your katana, or anything that is potentially deadly. I would also like to say that I commend and admire those educated folks who try unceasingly to further educate those who are untrained or uneducated in any such field of study. Believe me, your efforts will not be in vain, for there will always be at least one individual who can benefit from your wisdom.

As to those who are still concerned about my health, I am happy to say that no, I do not have tetanus, although I will live the rest of my life with a partially collapsed lung. My road to recovery is still long and painful, so that is why there is prescription morphine to help me through those rough days! No, I lie! I do not believe in taking painkillers; instead, I look to God for support and guidance. Even if you should not believe that there is a God, I will also pray to Him to keep you safe from harm's way.

Thank you all so much! Your kind words have really boosted my morale and definitely made my day! I regret to say that because I am still recovering, it seems every breath I make is painful, so I must stay away from tasking activities, meaning I won't be on SFI for a least a month or two. I hope all goes well to everyone here on SFI. You all will also be in my prayers.

Lastly, please, please, please learn from my mistake. Learn from the perspective of the student, as well as the teacher. Heaven forbid such an incident occur again. And yes, I would be more than happy to have this thread become a sticky.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe

I second that idea, Mr.Watanbe I wish well

Oh my H. I just picked up on this thread. Glad to see you are home. Please accept my wife and I's prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Byako

Welcome back Hakujou.
    Please forgive my english.

You are truly an example for all of us.

Heal quickly!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive and preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Tracy

You're lucky to be alive... Swinging a sword is no different than shooting a gun. Anything can happen.

One momentary lapse of judgement or respect for what you're doing with it can end your life, or someone else's life in an instant.

This also shows not to abuse your swords, or make make-shift parts yourself. If you need repairs or parts. Get them from a professional...
    Last edited by J. Low; 04-30-2007 at 03:26 PM.

As I am not a sword user...

...I usually sit back and observe this aspect of the forum,but in Mr.Wantenabe's case I am relieved for him and his wife to hear that he is doing well,
    Sincerly
    Greg Dunay

God Bless.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and with some luck and Grace from God that you'll be able to resume life like normal without any major after efects of the injury.

Welcome back!!!

Remember...No matter what, you'll always have one letter more than me!

Get Well Soon!!!

John
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares, usually end up plowing for those who don't" :Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up

Glad to see you back, Hakujou. And thank you for your latest well-written post.

I will continue to pray for your speedy recovery.
    "Impossible" is a word that humans use far too often.
    - Seven of Nine

I was wondering why you hadn't replied to my PM. This is truly shocking!

I pray that you recover well without serious long-term injuries. And though I just started using these forums, I will miss your posts in your abscence.

Though I do not pretend or attempt to practice any Japanese sword arts, nor cut anything, I do own a katana and am interested in arts such as iaido. Reading these kinds of stories really motivate me to find a teacher; if one is going to own a katana, I believe it is his responsibility to know how to use it correctly and safely, and also be able to recognize if others are doing so. I also need to do some more research on sword maintenance, and checking to make sure the fittings are in good shape.

You will be in my prayers. Take care.

I don't think it's as simple as to go out and "find a teacher" , Finding some common sense would help... as would not using a piece of a twig as a Mekugi.

NEVER swing a Katana before knowing exactly where you're cutting, what you're cutting, your surroundings, the structural integrity of the sword in your hand and most importantly make sure that you are not putting anyone around you in danger of something like this.

Accident's happen, no ammount of training can stop that from happening. But common sense can limit these accidents greatly.

I hope this doesn't come off as overly negative... so forgive me. It's just an unfortunate series of events, I wish Hakujou the best and I will think of this incident prior to any cutting session I may have in the future.

I believe Hakujou covered things well in his post above, and hopefully this thread get's stickied eventually.

Hakujou Watanabe,
    I'm glad to here that you are recovering nicely.
    I'd say your guardian angel was working overtime on that one my friend.
    Cheers
    Shaun
    "No greater gift can a man give than to lay down his life for a friend"

The Samurai embodied in the sword their supreme conception of honor and manhood. In the icy steel, born of fire, they saw revealed the mystery of life,indivisible from that of death.
    (Okabe Kakuya)

Thank you, Mr. Watanabe, for one of the most thoughtful, rational, charitable, spriritual and memorable posts I have ever had the benefit of reading on this forum or any other.

I wish you Godspeed in your recovery and please know my prayers are with you, your wife and T.J., as well. May your worthy, well-spoken words of wisdom find a place in the heart of all who might profit to learn from your unfortunate experience.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Glad to hear from you, that you are doing well. I hope you have a fast recovery.
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

Mrs. Watanabe,
    That's horrible!, my prayers and Well wishes are with you both. May he heal both physically and mentally soon. Being too nice can get people hurt in this type of activity. It is times like this when it is best to listen to that little voice in your head telling you somethinig is may not be not right, because you can always take a time out.
    Last edited by C. Ortiz; 05-01-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    One becomes a true samurai when you need not unsheath your blade in order to win a battle, that is the way of bushido...........

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    Thank you, Mr. Watanabe, for one of the most thoughtful, rational, charitable, spriritual and memorable posts I have ever had the benefit of reading on this forum or any other.

I wish you Godspeed in your recovery and please know my prayers are with you, your wife and T.J., as well. May your worthy, well-spoken words of wisdom find a place in the heart of all who might profit to learn from your unfortunate experience.

My sentiments exactly!
    Im glad to hear your home and recovering Mr Watanabe.

Mr. Watanabe, it is good to hear that you are doing fairly well. I prayed for your recovery when I read your wife's post, and I want to say that your post is really marvelous. Your mercy, forgiveness, and kindness as demonstrated in your words, are an excellent model for all of us. These character traits are particularly relevant to Christians, like me.

Thank you for your maturity and wisdom, and I thank God for your speedy recovery.
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
    Leonardo da Vinci

"A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him."
    Louis Pasteur

I hope he recovers soon!
    "He was an angel once, he didn't mean to fall. He just hung out with the wrong people..."

Good Omens

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast