Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Horrbile cutting accident...

Exclamation Moderator's warning

Irrelevant posts pruned from the thread. Can we PLEASE play nice, especially in a "get well" thread? Also bear in mind not everyone has the same sense of humor; I strongly suggest all of you to exercise a *little* more sensitivity in your posts.
    Last edited by Jennifer Yabut; 05-02-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
    "Impossible" is a word that humans use far too often.
    - Seven of Nine

Good to hear you are back on your feet.
    Hope you do well with the rest of recovery.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

3. Wow,
    I just read this.
    Praise God you are mending!

I will be keeping your family and TJ in prayer.

Mr. Watanabe,

I have always appreciated your knowledge and willingness to share on this forum and now your example of forgiveness it truly admirable to say the least.

I wish you a speedy and full recovery and thank you for posting your story as a cautionary tale for those who would read it.

Tim Westover

Originally from California...but now stuck in the Midwest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Westover View Post
    I wish you a speedy and full recovery and thank you for posting your story as a cautionary tale for those who would read it.
    Tim, you are very kind with your words, as is everyone who has commented on this thread that my wife started. I can't express how much your words of concern have touched me; thank you all. Slowly but surely, I am recovering my strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Westover View Post
    I have always appreciated your knowledge and willingness to share on this forum and now your example of forgiveness it truly admirable to say the least.
    Tim, your compliments are flattering, but I am not as knowledgeable as you may think; I try only to offer what little help or advice I can provide to anyone willing to listen, the same way every forumite on SFI tries to do. Thank you though, for your gesture of kindness.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe

Quote Originally Posted by H. Watanabe View Post
    I try only to offer what little help or advice I can provide to anyone willing to listen, the same way every forumite on SFI tries to do. Thank you though, for your gesture of kindness.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe

That's all it takes man.

Glad you are feeling better
    Michael Mann is the greatest director to ever walk the Earth.

Whoa! I haven't been on this forums for a few days and look what I've missed.

Good to hear you're ok mr. Watanabe.

Unhappy

My most sincere wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
    Jerry "The Dinosaur" Mings
    Þorbjörn the Mad

"Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
    Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

I still say this thread should become a sticky, that aside Mr.Watanabe I just wanted to give you my well wishes since I forgot to do so earlier.

Best wishes for a fast and easy recovery!
    Custom made handle slab laminations
    http://www.pbase.com/bensweet
    "A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own." -Unknown
    ABN CL 15-89

H. Watanabe

I am glad to hear that your doing all-right.

My best wishes.
    "I think its in the basement---lets go upstairs and check."

MC Escher

H. Watanable,

I wish you a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. You have my thoughts and prayers.

Dan
    "I have come from far enough
    from where I was not before
    to have seen things
    looking at me through the open door"

"breathes in" Can't you just feel the love myan!

sword abuse can kill

lets not scapegoat cheness and PY Chen

If TJ was using the higo to chop timber and tree trunks , bracken etc - for 2 yrs + and then used a twig to replace the mekugi - well folks any high end production sword would have failed from such abuse -

I am so glad hajuke is up and about - this has been on my mind so much lately
    i went home the other night and shimmed a tsuka core I have as it was not
    bomb proof tight , then I changed the mekugi in two other katana -

I hope this sticky helps prevent another tragic accident from happening

and Mrs Tinkers words of wisdom are priceless - do not use a sword when angry
    or if some ones cutting and is in a foul mood walk away - sage advice .

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Sad but relieved

Sounds like you've been through the meatgrinder, Mr. Watanabe. Heal up, warrior, I'll be praying for you. I hope the other guy has learned something. This reminds me not to overestimate my ability. It's sad the lesson came at great cost and suffering to you....
    "The mark of Zorro! You wear it forever now, comandante!"

Just found this...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and peace of mind for all involved.
    Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.
    Heinlein

hope ya get better.
    Bright-Eyed Novice : You just read this cool book about a religion where there's a Goddess and a God, and they meet outside in nature, instead of some scary old building. They think sex is good not evil, and you want to know where to sign up.

Distinguishing Signs: Mispronounces god/dess names, has to think a moment about which is deosil and which is widdershins. Has a shiny new athame (rhymes with "A-frame".)

accident

I will keep you both in my prayers.
    Keith L.

If I had words to make a day for you
    I'd sing you a morning golden and new
    I would make this day last for all time
    And give you a night deep in moon shine

I really hope that you will fully recover from your injuries.
    This is a terrible tale.. I hope it can be used in the future as a warning for others.

Get well!

From my family to yours; God bless and get well soon.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear that which you cannot avoid.

I hope your recovery is going well.

This thread has certainly made me more aware of the possible dangers of using swords. It is always a good idea to use common sense and to be vigilant at all times. Your ordeal will be in my memory and serve as tool of caution for my future practices with weapons in general.

My best wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy future!

-Dan
    The cut worm forgives the plow.
    Dip him in the river who loves water.
    A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
    He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.
    Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
    The busy bee has no time for sorrow.
    The hours of folly are measur'd by the clock, but of wisdom, no clock can measure.
    All wholesome food is caught without a net or a trap.
    Bring out number, weight & measure in year of dearth.
    No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
    A dead body revenges not injuries.
    The most sublime act is to set another before you.
    If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
    Folly is the cloke of knavery.
    Shame is Pride's cloke.
    -William Blake

wow

i had no idea...i hope that the cheness higo did not do such a horrible thing... i love cheness blades, i was given this link by another. i kind of idolize him, for making functional blades for such a low cost, and still being durable. i guess i was wrong huh.....i may be 14, but i thought that i was past foolish optimism..... the japanese sword means so much too me, too much, i cannot let it go....i would risk any injury, despite the fact that i am careful. i hope you get well very soon...
    Last edited by sal v.; 08-14-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: mistake

I am sorry for what has happened.
    I hope your husband recovers, and that he is more careful about whom he teaches in the future...
    I also feel badly because my initials are also T.J., and the one in question needs to control his temper better as well as make sure he isn't training with sub-standard equipment.
    Last edited by Tee Jay price; 01-16-2008 at 07:00 PM.

If the katana is a 3,000 dollars authentic shinken, would this still happen?

I believe the blade should not be blamed, but rather the owner of the blade. If the sword was used as an axe and the mekugi was replaced with a twig, you can expect what would happen.

The shinken is expensive not because it's durable, but the hardship of folding the steel to create countless layers. It was used to remove impurities in the steel in ancient Japan, but no longer necessary beside creating natural hamon. In fact, folded steel is actually less resilient and more subject to damage when a bad cut occurs.

I am sorry for what Mr. Watanabe has been through, may he recover fully and soon. This should serve as a lesson for us all.
    Last edited by Maximus L.; 02-19-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Maximus,

Well, in the abstract, it certainly could. Any sword that has been mistreated the way that this one was could suffer a cracked tsuka and become unsafe. Any sword with a twig for a mekugi is potentially unsafe.

Would someone who spent $3,000 on a sword likely treat it better? One would think so. But it wasn't the sword that was inherently unsafe, it was the owner. Watanbe-san is gracious and thoughtful in his remarks (and I hope he is healing well), but in my mind, he was clearly endangered by the impulsiveness and arrogance of his friend. There's no place for immaturity in real weapons training.

I've been around guns all my life, and have witnessed, or learned of, numerous accidental discharges. In only one of them was a defect in the gun to blame. In all of the others the fault lay squarely on the owner.

tk
    Last edited by Tom Kehoe; 02-25-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast