Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hanwei Katanas at CAS

New Hanwei Katanas at CAS

Hey Everyone,

I just downloaded and looked over the 2007 CAS catalog preview on there site. Wow, Hanwei has just set the bar WAY up there.
    Just a few of them :

The Paper Crane daisho, built on a true Tamahagane blade; Praying Mantis and Oni, two katanas featuring Bainite blades; several additions to our Performance and Classic Series; Two new Zatoichi's;

Check them out! Good looking stuff.
    J.Walton

BEAUTIFUL STUFF! I got so excited I called Bugei and spoke to someone from there. I know its early but, she said they are working on a tamehagane blade of their own, for next year. So thats what I am going to save up for!
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

I give up... too many katana, not enough time or money........

Michael Mann is the greatest director to ever walk the Earth.

OH.... MY.... GOD.......
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Wow, that's a lot of new stuff.

The 47 Ronin I mentioned well over a year ago is finally out. However I feel they may be reaching a bi with the tamahagane Paper Crane. Tamahagane is a nice touch, but I see no mentioning of a stone polish at all. The true aspects of tamahagane can really only be appreciated through a stone polish.

I see they also made an exact copy of the 2003 Zatoichi blade. Nice.

But what's up with that new Viking sword? a 24 inch blade? What, are they marketing to midget Vikings or something?
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

I like the new viking sword, other than the length, but its a pretty sweet scabbard.
    Mike J Arledge
    Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
    Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
    Of all the lost adventurers my peers,--
    How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
    And such was fortunate, yet each of old
    Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

Robert Browning
    --Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    http://www.facebook.com/CreyrGlasLightworks

Can someone please PM or email me the .pdf ? Almost every website I like is on the "banned" firewall list and I can't see any of the goodies you all are chatting about!
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

They also see to be indicated the hutton sabre is back!!
    I hope it makes it accross the pond to us in the states.

KOA better get it for us.
    Mike J Arledge
    Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
    Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
    Of all the lost adventurers my peers,--
    How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
    And such was fortunate, yet each of old
    Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

Robert Browning
    --Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    http://www.facebook.com/CreyrGlasLightworks

Bugei

Travis,

Wow, a tamahagane blade possibly from Bugei would be SWEET! I just got a Samurai katana from them in March and it pretty much exceeded my expectations in every way. A superb blade. I'm planning a detailed review of the katana. The newer Bugei's have much more curvature in the tsuka now and flow much better.

I would be all over that kind of Bugei!

J.Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    Can someone please PM or email me the .pdf ? Almost every website I like is on the "banned" firewall list and I can't see any of the goodies you all are chatting about!

Do want the url or the whole document (128 pages) as an attachment?

Link: http://www.casiberia.com/upload/CAS2007-RC3.pdf

(it's too big to attach, >7MB)

EDIT: It seems that it's Hanwei's own "tamahagane", not Japanese? And anyway, the daito is $3199 and wak $1899 MSRP.. even if they are very detailed and all but damn, that's a LOT of money. In comparison, L6 Bainite daito is only $1799 MSRP.

Oh yes, and the Practical katana has a removable tsuka, according to this. Finally.
    Last edited by Timo Qvintus; 05-01-2007 at 11:57 AM.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

My question is, is it "real" tamahagane? Blades being made in tamahagane is being thrown out there alot lately and for it to be "real" tamahagane, the steel has to be from and smelt in Japan if I'm not mistaken. Im starting to think that tamahagane is starting to become the new "battle ready" catch phrase...or word.

I haven't yet looked through the new items, but I am currently downloading the catalog to view them. I would imagine their "tamahagane" sword is similar to the Daimyo line from Dynasty Forge that it is actually made of "oroshigane" since it is a mixed iron like tamahagane but not actually made in a certified Japanese smelter...?
    "There are three stages to being a swordsman...the third is where the sword disappears completely and in the warrior's heart there is only peace and a wish to coexist with everything around him."

There was a really good article by Antonio Cejunior where he reviewed Dynasty Forges Tamahagne. The article can be found here:
    http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/df...ganereview.htm

Just a small quote from that article:
    The Tamahagane Line - a brief historical approach to the roots.
    I will start with the tamahagane line only to state that it is interesting to note that some pseudo-purists who just focus on Japanese swords, tend to think that the smelting technique is entirely Japanese, hence questioning that the Chinese iron obtained by smelting is not tamahagane or oroshigane.

Firstly it is important to say that the Chinese understood, around the time of the Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD), that iron could not be melted like bronze and that the temperature for melting bronze and pouring it into molds was around 1.000 degrees Celsius while iron required over 1.500 Celsius to melt. Yet melting iron and pouring it into molds the way it was done with bronze did not bring any advantage as the iron would be brittle.

It is therefore implied that the Chinese, by that time, had already mastered the art of smelting, and that the discovery of the forging process took place not too long after the brittleness of molten iron proved a failure.
    But it is from failure that success is often founded, and therefore, soon the Chinese smiths understood forging, the forge with bellows, the need for carbon and quenching. With this knowledge in hand the swords begun to be longer and longer, contrary to their shorter bronze ancestors.

Therefore it is highly questionable that someone can state that the product of iron smelting is purely Japanese. It is just a historical matter, nothing more, as it is well known that the import of Chinese swords as well as the migration of some Chinese smiths gave birth to the art of sword making in Japan.
    Once this is established, it is of no consequence that the steel is Chinese, Thai, Japanese, American or of any country.

Methods of smelting may vary according to the way each people develop the way of obtaining iron, but it is the manufacturing process that counts. The Chinese make their swords their way, the Koreans use their own method and the Japanese have developed yet another method.
    Kind Regards,
    J.Walton

The catalog mentions Paul Chen's son studying under Yoshindo Yashihara... that's tight.

Yep, looking forward to seeing the Bugei's version with tamahagane.

Good stuff.

Oni Katana

The Oni looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post

Oh yes, and the Practical katana has a removable tsuka, according to this. Finally.

I never "quoted" before, I hope this works.

Timo,

I do not think the classic practical has a removeable tsuka. Only the performance series. I have been up and down this pdf and it only mentions the tsuka in the performance series.
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

Sorry to take this thread off topic but I was trying to read the catalog to no avail. Is anyone else having problems reading PDF's nowadays?? I try to scroll and the screen just gets all F#$%ed up! Seems the change to Internet explorer 7 caused this. not sure though?

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Morris View Post
    I do not think the classic practical has a removeable tsuka. Only the performance series. I have been up and down this pdf and it only mentions the tsuka in the performance series.
    Bugger. I knew it was too good to be true.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by B.Blackwell View Post
    Sorry to take this thread off topic but I was trying to read the catalog to no avail. Is anyone else having problems reading PDF's nowadays?? I try to scroll and the screen just gets all F#$%ed up! Seems the change to Internet explorer 7 caused this. not sure though?

Blackwell
    It's a big file, try downloading it and reading it from your hard disk.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Blackwell View Post

Blackwell
    I'm not having any trouble on my Mac.

Try a pdf reader that is not made by Adobe, they have been having issues recently...

Try this open source windows PDF reader

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hagen View Post
    I'm not having any trouble on my Mac.

You Mac snob! Oh wait! I'm one too!

Nice catalogue! Too bad my budget only has room for maybe a iaito this year.

I thought tamahagane means only Japanese smelted steel. Maybe they can call it tatara steel?

Also their tamahagane daito is $3200? For just another grand you could get a newly made Nihonto, but without being mounted, you would get lots of fingerprints during shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    The Oni looks really nice.
    No lie. The shobu L6 looked nice, too, but I prefer shinogis. Aesthetically, the Tori Elite is my favorite but heck, for just a few more bills at that point, why not just save up for the Oni?
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

I want this one

I think I need to take a cold shower now
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "When I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me..."

FWIW.

Tamahagane refers to the results of a tatara operated traditionally in the Japanese style. The introduction of an "official" tatara run by the NBTHK is a fairly recent phenomena.

But If someone decides it isn't "real" tamahagane because it isn't made in Japan, well, that's basically semantics at that point. The reality is that Mr. Chen has decided to experiment with building his own tatara to create special steel for a few of his sword lines. And he has had some very good input on how to go about those things. This isn't something new for them, just something new to the market. R&D has been ongoing for quite some time.

The reality is that the stuff isn't "industrial" steel. But smelted specifically for this purpose in a traditional fashion. Call it whatever you'd like -- it doesn't change what it is.
    Keith Larman
    Summerchild Polishing and Modertosho Modern Japanese Swords
    "They say I have ADD, but ... Hey, look, a chicken!"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast