Thread: Anyone ever dealt with this guy?

Anyone ever dealt with this guy?

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has ever dealt with Don Myra that runs Gaijins Guide sword services here in Canada. And if so, have you ever had any problems with him? Heres why. I was in need of getting the kissaki repaired on a katana that I own, and I put out a question here in the forums, and I was referred to this guy. I contacted him and he requested photos of the damage for examination for a quote. I sent him the photos and he gave me a quote. It was an acceptable price, so I sent the katana to him. About a week or so later after he received the katana, he emailed me and let me know that the work was done and the total cost including shipping. I paid him through paypal immediately. That was well over a month ago that the work was completed and paid for. I have not received my katana back even after several e-mails and I have now aquired his phone number through 411.ca He has stopped responding to e-mails and refuses to pick up the phone or return my calls.
    My next step is to forward this to the RCMP and may have to also file a civil lawsuit if I don't receive my property back in short order.

Has anyone else had this problem with this guy?

Never heard of him. You should be able to get your money back if you payed by paypal, but regarding your property.. who know's what happened to it. Good luck?

I'd give the RCMP a call and tell them what happened.

Well, I contacted the branch of the RCMP that has jurisdiction in the city this guy lives in, and low and behold, he has had run ins with the RCMP regarding the same thing!!! I will be speaking with the officer in charge of the investigation later this evening, and with any luck, I will be getting my katana back in short order. If you are considering using this guy for any work or ordering any of his products, I would think twice. Do a search on the forum of his name, you'll be surprised at what comes up.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope you are able to get your property back in good condition.

DO NOT send sword polishing work to Don Myra

DO NOT send sword polishing work to Don Myra. He blatantly ripped me off and did really poor work. I finally had to involve the police. He stole fittings off of one sword and replaced the 2nd sword with an inferior blade.

Back in December of 2005 I sent Don Myra two swords to polish. A Shinto blade in a saya which had gold Menuki and a shibuichi kashira set and a Koto blade with a 29” nagasa which had a 1 cm umegane Don said he could repair. He was to build an unlacquered saya for the Shinto blade and rewrap the tsuka and build a shira saya for the Koto blade.

At that time, he said he was not busy and said it would take several months to finish both of them. Three months turned into six months which turned into nine months. He repeatedly lied to me often stating he was “just finishing up” work that he’d previously claimed he completed. Many, many excuses.

In September 2006 (ten months from when he’d received the swords) he said they were completed and asked me to pay him the final third of our agreed price. I did and the swords were to be returned on September 25th (the shipping cost was included in the final payment). In spite of numerous promises and more excuses they still weren’t returned in October or November, or December. How long does it take to mail two swords; thirty minutes?

Now he has both my swords and over $3,000 of my money. Many, many excuses. In, in January, 2007 I finally called the local RCMP police to get my swords returned. The RCMP spoke with Don and he agreed to send both my swords back immediately. Two weeks later he sent the Shinto blade back, but not the Koto blade. The saya looked like it was from the Flintstones, did not seat the habaki and the notches for the kurikata and korjiri were not cut. The polish was foundation level only with migaki work. No fine finish work was visible. Worse, THE SHIBUICHI KASHIRA SET HAD BEEN REPLACED WITH COPPER REPRODUCTIONS. About a $250 rip off.

My koto sword never came. Many more excuses and delays but no sword. I called the RCMP three months later in May 2007 and they spoke with Don again. Apparently, I’m not the only person who’s had to call the RCMP because Don would not return their swords.

Finally I received my 2nd sword on June 11th 2007, almost a year and a half after he had promised them to me. HOWEVER DON HAD SUBSTITUTDED THE 29” KOTO BLADE WITH A FLAWED SHINTO 27” BLADE with poor horimono used to cover up flaws in the blade in an old dirty shira saya (this mailer was opened in front of witnesses). Again, only foundation polish with migaki. A rip off of about $1,500 between the blade I’d originally sent to him and the one he substituted.

I’ve spent 18 months of pure frustration dealing with his pathological personality and I suggest others avoid him. I’ve maintained copies of all correspondence from Don, the FedEx shipping bills and my Paypal transaction accounts. The RCMP police records number is No. 2007-1216. I worked with RCMP Constable L. Ferguson and RCMP Corporal Arkley in this matter. I do not know what recent polishing experience anyone else has had with Don Myra, but I would suggest thinking long and hard before sending him any sword polishing work to him.