Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Katana

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Gasienica View Post
    I would love to join one of those programs sir, but I am only 16 and would have to commute with public buses for over 40 minutes to get there.
    Too be honest with you at 16 some retailers won't sell to you

Ok, check this out. Do you plan to cut bamboo or tatami mats? Probably not right because that gets expensive, trust me I know Ok so then it doesn't matter what you get because most likely you will be cutting pool noodles or milk jugs. So diff hardened or through hardened doesn't matter.

Between Cheness and Hanwei pick the one that suits you and get it if you have the "Itch" to buy now, we've all had it, go ahead and scratch it. and if your serious about swordsmanship then you should seek out training when the time is right.

If you pick up a used or private sale blade, ensure that it has been inspected and is free of defects or at least make sure you know up front if it does have any. This way you can determine whether it is worth it or not. If you get a Cheness I assume that even if it is second hand, if it has any of the defects PY Chen is aware of he will work with you on it

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

I would love to join one of those programs sir, but I am only 16 and would have to commute with public buses for over 40 minutes to get there.
    That's not really that bad. In Japan, such commutes are normal for training, often much longer and often daily. It is not at all uncommon in the US either. But you are young still and it seems worse than it is. Despite the commute, please talk to Brian and see if you can arrange a visit to the dojo. If you can arrange to get in a couple times a month that would be better than no training at all, and should your situation change, you may find that you can train more regularly.

Don't put off training too long. The years get to passing by pretty fast. I had an opportunity to begin training when I was only a little older than you, and passed it up because it was a bit inconvenient. I didn't end up seizing the opportunity again until I was 34, and all the physical stuff is much harder now.

At least go in and talk to Brian.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"

Well I've taken your advice. I'm heading there today to see what it's like.

Heh, I know this story all too well. Where I grew up there wasn't even a mall for 4 hours drive away...much less some form of swordschool. The option just didn't exist, period.

I moved a year ago to a slightly more urban area, in Eastern Kansas (urban compared to my tiny farm town!) but still there is nothing in my area for doing sword training that I know of, and being quite the "broke college student" don't have a couple hundred dollars extra each month to be going to a dojo either. So for now, I have no choice but wait and hope someday I'll get the chance to really begin lessons!
    "There are three stages to being a swordsman...the third is where the sword disappears completely and in the warrior's heart there is only peace and a wish to coexist with everything around him."

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bandy View Post

I moved a year ago to a slightly more urban area, in Eastern Kansas (urban compared to my tiny farm town!)
    Were you from Smallville? Tell The Kents I said hi Just kidding!
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

LOL pretty close actually! The place that Smallville was based from (Plainville)is only an hour from us.

But truly, one of the big reasons I was glad to move closer to Kansas City is that there are possibly more places where I could get involved with some smithing or formal sword training! But alas, I must still wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Morris View Post
    Were you from Smallville? Tell The Kents I said hi Just kidding!
    "There are three stages to being a swordsman...the third is where the sword disappears completely and in the warrior's heart there is only peace and a wish to coexist with everything around him."

I hope your training strarts soon! Good luck!
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

Josh, 40 minutes aren't so much and you'r old enough to deal with this.
    I can understand that a JSA class costs, but I can assure you that you'll
    enjoy the sword A LOT more knowing what you're doing.
    Not to talk about safety, that should be the first reason to join a JSA group.
    Usually a good path line is : a wooden bokken to build-up the muscles,
    an unsharpened sword to begin with forms and then a cutting sword
    for the real amusement in safety. Talking with your Sensei and senjor
    practicioners you'll enjoy everything a sword can give you, not just cutting.
    This way, one day not so far you'll want more then a 300 U$ katana knowing
    the reason....
    You still have the right age to begin and all the life to enjoy.
    Make a good start.

Cheers and best wishes.
    Please forgive my english.

hmm...

well, finding a katana that suits you can be a drag....there are so many things that come into play

balance,koshirae,blade temper and even the steel itself...

i am still looking for that one blade that suits me most.....oh well

keep on going at it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12