Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Napoleon, Faraday and wootz as a secret weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bennett View Post
    ... The mention of high carbon, IE wootz, as an easy uptake for silver....
    Hi Jerry,
    Something that I had to do a bit of footwork to find equivalent recently might be of note on this. BS 1407:1970 Specification for high carbon bright steel (silver steel) of British Standards. It is C Mn Cr 1.2 0.4 0.4 but no silver even if the common name is Silver Steel...
    Hope it is relevent.
    Rob
    curiosity may kill a cat so I guess I have 8 more questions...

Good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalo G View Post
    I understand what are you talking about. I also read the history of science (Bernal, for instance). I only pointed to an isolated case of deceit, and I was not saying that all the alchemist languaje is based on it. The situation was the same for all the sciences, until they were properly codified in a common languaje based on known scientific principles, shared by everybody. This is basic knowledge. No need for you to bother.
    No problem. I just loved that course, so I might dig up the text for my own purposes and drift away for a few hours :-p

Rion
    Talents are not gifts to those who posess them, in fact, they can be burdens more oft than not. Truly, a talent is a gift given for the benefit others.

Blacksmiths beat it with a hammer.

Motley Forge and Foundry: Producing Rocket Fuel Damascus Inertial Dampers Since 2007

"That looks like a fine piece of Rion Motlery if I ever saw one..."

Rion, please don´t be offended, it was only a clarification. I also loved that course, please feel free to post all the relevant material you consider useful. It would be interesting.

Rob, that was relevant indeed.

hey, not at all - trust me, if I was offended, you'd know it! :-p

The whole point here is to share information - it's like forge welding - we all bring our bits and pieces together, throw it in the forge and beat it around until it sticks together into a whole.

It's a process - so anyhow, for future reference, I'm really hard to offend/annoy/etc. - and on the same token, if I seem to say something offensive, take it with a grain of salt until it's confirmed that i indtended to razz you - otherwise I just like the whole discourse thing. Let's have some fun and learn some stuff!

Back soon,
    Rion
    Talents are not gifts to those who posess them, in fact, they can be burdens more oft than not. Truly, a talent is a gift given for the benefit others.

Blacksmiths beat it with a hammer.

Motley Forge and Foundry: Producing Rocket Fuel Damascus Inertial Dampers Since 2007

"That looks like a fine piece of Rion Motlery if I ever saw one..."

Thanks Rob.
    I'm not so interested in the silver, as I am the transitional metals. It has a lot to do with electrical resistance, hence the question about eddy. Also grain formation/nucleation and properties. Induction *hint hint*

Rion,
    See, told you about the politics of bladesmith metallurgy and heat treatment Keep posting though, and don't let anyone chase you away. You’ve made some interesting posts. Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12