Thread: Artillery Sword ?

Artillery Sword ?

Hey everybody

Happy snowy saturday, at least for those in the upper midwest. Instead of shoveling I thought I would ask for some help in tracking this down.

Story is, a fellow found this about 60 yrs ago stuck in the ground and bent near a large pine stump on the north side of lake Superior in MN. It was not right near the lake but a few miles inland. The area is called the Knife River Valley to be exact.

Its got the shape of an artillery sword, but i have been unable to identify origin or time period exactly.

Any guesses or insight?

Thanks Craig

Blog Entries
    Hi Craig,

This looks like it may be one of those oddball swords cooked up by Francis Bannerman and Sons of New York. Bannerman put together dozens of strange short swords using a variety of blades and hilts (some of them are found with Civil War yatagan bayonet blades). These were sold in his catalog under the description of society or fraternal swords, band swords and theatrical swords. Their value is rather limited, but they are starting to be appreciated for there connection to Bannerman. You will see them on ebay go for around US$100 at the hammer.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Mark

Thanks. I figured it might be some type of fraternal/band type thing, I just could find no reference to this particular setup. The fellow who owns it I doubt would want to sell it, as his father was the one who found it. It does leave the riddle of how it made its way to the northwoods and got stuck in the ground. It seems like there is always a bit of mystery with these types of finds

Craig

It never ceases to amaze me how many "found in the woods" stories there are out there.

Second only to "found in a wall".
    Sikandur~~Aim Small, Miss Small

Blog Entries
    Hey Scott,

If you like "found in the wall" stories, then you have to watch
    "Antique Road Show". I'm never disapointed by the yarns spun on that show!

Mark

Road Show

Yes I love watching the dealers faces when they find out the person bought "the best they have ever seen" for ten bucks at a junk store.

I think the show has done a lot of good for people to realize the value of their stuff. Recently there wa an incredible early american powder horn that was still in the family, what great history.

Though, the whole scandal with the weapons guy put a bad taste in my mouth. But there is the old saying " If an antique ...(fill in with your item of choice) dealer has their mouth open their lying" The blemish on the show was minor especially as they acted quickly and sacked the guy, it also happened about the same time as the Southeby's/Christie's problems came to light.

Craig

I saw several of those or something just like it as a prop rental house in LA. The place had a big sale about two years ago when it went out of buisness.
    D.L.Baker
    www.hollywoodcombatcenter.com
    "The Art of Looking Dangerous"