Thread: Test Swords Jiri Krondak

Test Swords Jiri Krondak

For you two test
    good reading

One hand Gotic Lux
    Review:

Many people know Jiri Krondak's swords, fair priced, light and strong,and so we have decided to find out if all these qualities are really present together in each sword.We have contacted the smith, quite rapid to reply and very rapid in sending us our choice, a 1-hand gothic in Lux version.
    Possibly most of the items in his catalogue are actually stored so to avoid a long wait, as instead happens for producers who work on reservation only.
    We received the sword after about 1 week, by courier, and the package is a folded cardboard sheet in which is wrapped the sword.
    The first impression is a simple yet carefully planned design, with the only concession to the aestethics represented by a metal wire wrapped around the handle, perfetly fitting in the
    groves of the leather wrapping. The grip is strong and comfortable.
    Once wielded, the low weight and good balance can be appreciated (thanks also to the reduced lenght of the blade).
    The pommel is small, with a bowl-shaped top, which is not made by the tang, as in all the swords from this smith the tang is welded in the pommel.
    The guard has straight and flat "quillons".
    Both the pommel and the guard seem to have a "laquered" surface; this, coupled with the different materials used in the handle, and the polish of the blade make the difference between the "standard" and "lux" versions of this producer.
    The blade is of average lenght, tapering towards the point, and the
    (slightly asymmetric) fuller is about wide 1/3 of the total widht of the blade, and ends at less than 9 cm from the tip of the blade. The tip is perfectly rounded and flat.
    The sword is polished with a middle-to-fine finishing that makes the blade "antiqued", while the shape of the edge is peculiar, with flattened edges.
    If a blow lands on the edge with an angle of more than 45, the surface on which the stress is discharged becomes wider, thus deforming the metal less.
    The thickness of the edge is fairly constant up to the tip.
    The brand of the smith is at about 1 cm from the guard, on the blade (the J and K letters with a stylized sword). The blade is hard to rust, unless is not cared for for a long time.

In Combat:

Lightness and balance are the qualities that can be immediatly appreciated with this model, that is perfect also for women or for those who seek a blade which is not too heavy.
    The control of the blows is very easy. In edge-to-edge contact the
    vibrations are minimal, and both pommel and hilt are quite strong.
    Even if struck on the flat, the blade is solid, transmitting very little
    vibrations; this also eases the control.
    The notches on the edge are minimal, even after very strong blows, and passing a finger on the edge after a severe combat gives no problem at all.
    After almost two months of continual use pommel and hilt show no sign of weakness; but of course we will keep testing this aspect through the next months and years of use.

Conclusions:

It is very easy to obtain this sword and the only time to wait is the actual shipping. The safety aspect is at the highest levels, with thick edges and optimal hardness of the blade that allows for very little deformation and no splinters.
    Weight, balance and overall resilience are very good, and make this sword suitable for practice in total safety for all the forms of combat, from choreography to heavy combat.
    If you are looking for a strong, light and quite well balanced blade to be used in any type of historical combat, this sword is a great choice. On the contrary, if you look for a museum quality replica, this is of course not your prime choice. While the finishing is not exceptional, the quality and the low price more than compensate this
    click her for gallery http://www.battlesword.net/public/op...ages&idpage=65

One Hand and Half Gotic
    Review:

We are going to review a one-and-a-half sword made by Jiri Krondiak. The model reviewed here is the "gothic".
    The sword appears to be well done and quite strong, with a thick blade, well balanced and light enough to allow the wielding of the sword with just one hand (although for brief time).
    THe hilt is well built, with a polygonal pommel mounted over the tang, which is directely wrapped in light brown, thick leather, that assures a strong grip and a resilient handle. The crossguard is curved and thick, with a typical horizontal plate over the blade. There are wielding haloes around the base of the pommel.
    The blade tapers towards the end, and the fuller is marked and occupies more than 3/4 of the blade itself. There is no sharp point and the edges are thick, thus the safety during sparring combat is assured.

In Combat:

The blade is very strong, suffering little or no damage at even the heaviest impact with other blades. The thickness of the edges avoid notching and the flat of the blade is strong enough to withstand even serious strikes.
    The sword is balanced well, and this allows for both heavy attacks and agile maneuvering, and with the curved crossguard shape even disarming maneuvres are quite easy to perform. The blade never vibrates, and after more than a month of testing in medium and heavy combat there is but the slightest notch to testify for the strenght and resilience of this sword.
    The handle is comfortable and the thick leather suffered no damage at all during the tests, granting a long life to one of the (usually) weakest parts in the swords we have tested so far. Again, this is not the case with this product, as the leather is wrapped directely around the tang, thus making a very resistant handle.
    The well rounded tip and the thick edges assure safety in every kind of combat, and with the due amount of heavy armour even thrust attacks can be performed, without any damage for the sword. Grasping the blade even with bare hands is easy as there are no sharp notches or edges caused by the edge hitting other edges.

Conclusions:

Overall, this sword is very good for those who study or perform with the hand-and-a-half. Its shape is similar to those represented in German manuscripts such as Liechtenuer, and allows for safe combats, with great durability and little or no damage to the sword even in the hardest fights.
    If I may ever find a problem with this sword, then I'd say that the blade is a bit short - but this is not a flaw, and the lenght of the blade does not affect the very good performances we have found so far.
    Finally, two things should be mentioned. One is the price, which is quite low for such a good production, and the other is the ease of contacts with the swordmaker, whihc is very available, very kind and very quick to send the sword once done. In any aspect I strongly suggest this sword for the practitioner and the collector due to its performance and its very good cost/performance ratio
    Gallery
    http://www.battlesword.net/public/op...ages&idpage=66

I don't have a sword from Jiri Krondak yet, because I rarely practice steel-on-steel, but I have handled his swords, including the 1-hand gothic, on a few occasions.

I fully agree with your assessment. They are not the nicest looking swords, but they are light, have a pleasing balance and seem very solid. And I actually like the rough finish.

The swords are at a price point which not that much higher than, say a Hanwei Practical Knightly or it's Windlass equivalents, but these swords are handmade, even to your specification if you wish, in Europe. That sounds like a very good deal to me, and it's surprising his swords aren't seen more often.

Here's his website:
    http://www.fabri-armorum.cz/
    Hwere r fuse feorran cwoman
    to am elinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder

I own several hand-and-a-half Krondak swords. The swords are used for practicing and for clinics and I must say that they are almost indestructible.
    Mr. Krondak is a very nice man who pays a lot of attention to his customers and customers are always welcome in his workshop.
    I also bought my armour from him. It fits very well and everything that doesnt fit well is taken back to his workshop and adjusted until Im satisfied.

So I can really recommend this smith.
    Erik Groenouwe

Animum fortuna sequitur

I have never handled one of his swords, but I ordered a pair of gauntlets from him about two years ago. I'm apparently the second American he's ever done business with (a friend of mine actually 'discovered' Jiri and ordered gauntlets a few weeks before I did). My friend's gauntlets were in the Lux finish while mine were in the standard finish, but despite that the two looked very similar. Jiri was an absolute pleasure to deal with, and the gauntlets arrived in about 2 weeks from when I placed the order. They've held up very well. And priced very reasonably, also.
    Last edited by D. Perdue; 06-10-2007 at 07:52 PM.

These stirling recommendations made me check his site out, and JUST as I was despairing of EVER finding a Persian shamshir for a reasonable price, Mr. Krondak makes one!! Thank you for introducing him to us at SFI!
    Horse perpetually struggled to outreach the wind, to outrun space itself. Other animals ran only when they had a reason, but the Horse would run for no reason whatever, as if to run out of his own skin.
    ~Rabindranath Tagore

Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.
    ~Molavi (Rumi)

Question, though: do blades come sharp or blunt? Can one choose?

edit: nevermind, I did 2 or 3 more hours research and answered my own question
    Last edited by Shayan Q.; 06-11-2007 at 01:48 AM.
    Horse perpetually struggled to outreach the wind, to outrun space itself. Other animals ran only when they had a reason, but the Horse would run for no reason whatever, as if to run out of his own skin.
    ~Rabindranath Tagore

Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.
    ~Molavi (Rumi)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayan Q. View Post
    Question, though: do blades come sharp or blunt? Can one choose?

edit: nevermind, I did 2 or 3 more hours research and answered my own question
    I've never seen a sharp sword made by Jiri Krondak in the flesh, as he mainly makes swords for fencing and reenactment, but he should be able to sharpen them if you want.
    Hwere r fuse feorran cwoman
    to am elinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder