Thread: 16th and 17th Century Swords/Daggers

16th and 17th Century Swords/Daggers

People:
    How does a new collector clean and give luster to old pieces like these, or should I leave them exactly as they are? I have 15 swords and daggers, recently inherited, most of them quite tarnished and coated with the dating of centuries...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Snyder View Post
    People:
    How does a new collector clean and give luster to old pieces like these, or should I leave them exactly as they are? I have 15 swords and daggers, recently inherited, most of them quite tarnished and coated with the dating of centuries...

To be honest, if I were you I would not touch them. Leave them to a professional polisher like Greg Obach who is a member of this forum. He also forges wootz and knows exactly how to deal with them.

I have seen polishers or collectors ruined the original color of crucible steel by using ferric chloride. This gives a yellosih color to crucible steel. The best would be to leave it to a professional polisher like Mr. Obach. He is a member at SFI.

Kind regards
    Manouchehr

Would be meet other collectors in your area. The Baltimore Arms show would be a great event for you to attend, meet other collectors and gather information. Always try to get 3-4 opinions and don't be in a hurry. Don't sell or trade anything till you have had time to familiarize yourself with your new found items.

Some items are better left as is, others can improve with restoration. Get multiple informed opinions before doing anything and enjoy your new found hobby.

Dry Roads,

rand

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Snyder View Post
    People:
    Hi Albert

I received your CD. I was extremely busy. Sorry for getting back later to you. Please allow me some time and I will get back to you soon. As you see there are a number of people here who will help you here as well and know the materials. If you have any further questions let me know as usual.

Kind regards
    Manouchehr