Thread: Buying a Zaotichi

Buying a Zaotichi

any one have any suggestions on buying a zaotichi? im looking to buy either the original paul chen one or the version 2 one that was released. ive seen on blades UK that they are selling it for £65 (i assume its the paul chen blade, ill check). im in UK so i need a site that delivers here!! so if anyone knows of anywhere i can get a good price on it, or of any sites i should stay well clear of then please let me know! thanks for any help.

Paul. C

Kentucky, where people date their sisters :)
    If you just want it as a curiosity, then the Hanwei model is fine. Otherwise look for a last legend Mark II (if you plan to cut with it)

Hi Paul

Hi Paul,
    I think the blades uk version is made by Koto/tony long, Barringtons at Southend do a Musashi version which got a good review on the Sword Buyers Guide, also they should be able to get you the Paul Chen version, Ive got the Last Legend Blind Warrior mkII, its rearly good and cuts light targets fine, it cost me about £70 inc postage from the USA. The only thing the LL version has not got is a habaki, but its so solid with an 11inch tang and made from modified 1060 spring steel, its actually made for LL by Generation2. Its down to your choice and your taste as there all about the same price. I dont think i would want to cut wit the koto version, i handled it and the handle just felt as if it would fly apart.
    Go on, Cut It!
    If you at first dont succeed get your Dadao!

I had the forged one for a while. I liked it. I tried a new style hybrid polish on it and kind of messed it up so i sold it, but now I've been thinking of getting another one.

Check sword laws in your area. They are technically illegal in California as well, but I have friends in the police department (including a retired detective) and they said 95% of cops wouldn't give a flying duck as long as you didn't walk around in public with it and kept it in your house. I've already developed some sort of "Kanbun shinto in shirasaya" defense as well...
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cliff View Post
    any one have any suggestions on buying a zaotichi? im looking to buy either the original paul chen one or the version 2 one that was released. ive seen on blades UK that they are selling it for £65 (i assume its the paul chen blade, ill check). im in UK so i need a site that delivers here!! so if anyone knows of anywhere i can get a good price on it, or of any sites i should stay well clear of then please let me know! thanks for any help.

Paul. C
    You can buy your own blind samurai?

My only suggestion: don't use paypal to pay for it, it's against their rules and you could get in some big problems.

Also, check your local laws on concealed weapons. They'll call them stick swords, shikomi-zue, cane swords, etc. I know there are anti-sword bills in the works over there, so they may not deliver them there...
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 07-14-2007 at 09:23 AM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Here's a link

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...light=Zatoichi

I ended up buying the forged and differentially heat treated one, model SH2267. Two senseis and I have done some pool noodles with it and it performed very well. If you plan on doing any cutting with it I would suggest the SH2267 model minimum as it has the full tang. Blade is about as thick as as my PPK somewhere more than 3/16th" and 1/4".

Mine rattles in the saya when shaken mune to ha, and the etched hamon was even a little more overdone than other Hanwei stuff, but hopefully that will be subdued over time by regular cleaning. I did need to work the edge a bit with a ceramic rod to get it as sharp as my PPK was when new.

The one thing everyone comments on about it is the beauty and finish of the wood. I'd guess it's rosewood and it's nice to look at and hold. I am really glad I didn't get model SH1014 with the "key tang" and the black painted saya.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

BTW, Warriors and Wonders was great to deal with. I forget the gentleman's name but he called me to confirm some information on the order and we talked swords for quite a while.
    Of course it's hot! It just came out of a 350 degree oven!

Thumbs up

thanks guys, im currently looking at the all links/suggestions here. im going to take a trip down to south end soon as its only about 30mins form me! ill see what hey have in store. thanks for all the replies.

Last Legend makes one, they call it Blind Fury Warrior or something like that- doesn't look much like what you've seen in the movie, but its very sturdy- and willing to cut (even though they advise against it).
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear that which you cannot avoid.

Been looking at the folded version, but I don't really care for the rosewood...

I concur with all of Mr. Westover's opinions. The SH2267 is great; best bang for your buck despite the extreme etch on the blade and saya rattle... and the staff at W&W are a pleasure to deal with. I regret having to sell mine.

IMO the folded model is a bit pricey, to an extent that I really hope the polish is a *lot* better, as well as the fit of the saya. But to each his own...
    Those who do nothing for fear of regret often end up regretting that they did nothing. - Me