Thread: Cheness shipping update and new Kaze Mekugi & tsuka

Cheness shipping update and new Kaze Mekugi & tsuka

Hello,

For any one waiting for their Cheness Kaze, Tenchi, or other misc. items you'll be happy that today I just recieved an email from Paul Chen (Cheness) stating that his shipment has arrived and he's beginning to process orders for these backordered items again.

According to his website, the delay was the following:

ANNOUNCEMENT - New Shipment Update (July 07)!!
    Our next shipment of swords, originally scheduled to arrive in July, is being pushed back by a couple of weeks into early August. Due to the busy shipping season, we were unable to book a cargo vessel as anticipated. The earliest vessel that we could book departs in early July, so the anticipated arrival of the backordered Kaze, Tenchi katanas will be pushed back to EARLY AUGUST. Our apologies for the delay from this booking issue.
    Mr Chen very well announced the delay, so I knew what I was getting into when I placed my order for a Kaze katana and a cleaning kit - both of which were on backorder.

However, I was also suprised to find out there's been some slight modifications to the Kaze. First off, one of the two mekugi pins is being replaced with a copper pin and the other pin is remaining to be bamboo. I don't blame Mr. Chen there. If I was selling production swords, who knows who will be buying them and what knowledge they have. I'd be nervious of backyard ninja using a sword which ever injured someone due to a lapse in the users saftey procautions.

The other modification was was a slightly modified tsuka. I havn't seen it yet, but I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction. Regardless, I plan on my new Kaze as being a home-improvement project, so I'll be rebuilding the tsuka in a month or so once i'm complete my vacation and collect some more money.

Just wanted to let people know that were waiting like me that their sword will be on its way soon, and there are some small modifications to the some of the Cheness line.
    Below is an email which is the source of these above claims of mine:

Sent : Monday, August 6, 2007 2:51 PM
    To : (Sorry edited - not publically posting my email)
    Subject : Re: Notification of payment received

Hi,

Thanks for your patience. Confirming that your backordered item has arrived at our warehouse as of today and your item will be processed immediately for shipping ASAP.

This is the new production batch of products and consists of some minor upgrades, specifically to the tsuka. Most noticeably is that one of the two mekugi pins has been replaced with a copper pin in place of bamboo pin for an added safety measure. Copper pins were selected even though it is more costly than steel pins, but this softer metal allows for it to "bite" onto the steel nakago better and prevent metal-on-metal shifts from vibrations.

Additionally, the tsuka geometry has been modified to be stronger with a better fit onto the nakago.

Thanks again and it was certainly a pleasure doing business with you. Please let me know if there are any questions.

Best Regards,

Paul Chen
    Cheness Incorporated
    www.chenessinc.com

EDIT: Fixed a 1-word typo which changed the meaning of an entire sentance.
    Last edited by Mike Sl.; 08-06-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Thumbs down Mekugi changed

Oh bugger.. The main reason (AFAIK) the bamboo pins are.. well, bamboo pins and not metal pins is that metal bends. Once it's bent, the only way to get it out may very well be to destroy the tsuka around it. Not good, IMHO. Hopefully they don't do this to their shirasaya also, 'cause I might buy one of those some day.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Yah, I could definitely see removing a copper pin being much more difficult if the sword has gone through some use. After awhile you'd have to drill it out. Well thats just my assumption anyway.

If anyone is interested in a few pictures of this new mekugi and tsuka, let me know. I plan on (carefully) popping off the tsuka and inspecting everything once I get the Kaze in the mail.

I'd like to see this "improved nakago-fit".. please, post away!
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!