Thread: Hello, please help ID this sword

Hello, please help ID this sword

Hello,

Need help identifying this long jian. I think it to be a royal court sword. Singnature states qing dynasty, under emperor chang lun. (what ive been told) Has a very nice darkened blade with gold and silver inlays. For an old sword blade is in a really good condition hmmm.... Ivory handle. wood scabbard. Wanted to see if this is a tourist replica or maybe a good court jian.
    From what I know about it it was brought back by a warvet from England in the early 50's

Thank you in advance for any information
    Check out the pictures below:

It is a vintage made for tourists sword. Knowledgable colectors are not usually interested, but they go for crazy prices on eBay.
    Josh

Long Quan city, Zhejiang province, China.
    I've actually seen an antique example of this type of sword in a new book on Chinese swords and knives called Zhong Guo Dao Jian.. or... Chinese swords and knives... :P

Anyways, it looked pretty much the same.. With same type of motifs going down the entire length of the blade..

Best regards, Kenneth A.H.
    I study at:
    Long Quan Zheng Wu Knife & Sword Forge.
    I work at:
    Zheng Wu Knife & Sword Company.
    Qing Zhong Knife & Sword Company.
    Exclusive Porcelain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth, H. View Post
    I've actually seen an antique example of this type of sword in a new book on Chinese swords and knives called Zhong Guo Dao Jian.. or... Chinese swords and knives... :P

Anyways, it looked pretty much the same.. With same type of motifs going down the entire length of the blade..

Best regards, Kenneth A.H.
    Yes, absolutely, the one posted is an antique, or vintage as I posted implying it is old, but certainly not as old as the Qianlong markings would imply. However, it was made for show at the time with poor steel, and so is not particularly valuable to the cognoscenti.
    Josh

Hi Aleksey,

Welcome to SFI. Sorry I have been extremely busy. A jian resmbling your sword can be seen on page in a book on Chinese swords written by Alex Huangfu, pages 208-209.

Also the book Swords and Hilt Weapons shows a similar example, please check page 183.

Kind regards
    Manouchehr

But in Swords and Hilt Weapons, the sword is incorrectly identified as actually coming from the Qianlong period (ending 1790), as apposed to the true date circa 1900.
    Josh

Note: the fitting that should be at the mouth of the scabbard is caught on the guard and should be moved back to the scabbard.
    Josh

Thank you for all your help

Thank you for all your help and advice.
    THroat peice of the scabbard was caught in the guard...thank you on that Josh.

Alex