Thread: New Cheness Kaze

New Cheness Kaze

Anyone else think that the new Pin is hard to remove? Sheesh I have had some tuffies before but this feels like Gorilla glue is holding it in. I wanted to take the Tsuka off to inspect it and it is holding on with a death grip. The top pin hole is rounder then the pin, leaving a 1/8 inch gap under the pin. Should I be worried about this? I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is going on.

I know they have a bad wrap but I must admit I bought 3 Musashi's (low end) and they were all cracked. So I think 1 crack and it is a manufacturing flaw, 3 cracks and maybe I am cracking them taking off the Tsukas. This I dont know because I have taken apart a few Sukuttos and a DF, I never found a crack. Before I maybe break another one what is the popular opinion of the new Cores? I did a search and it doesn't seem that many people are talking about the new upgrades?

Other then that I am satisfied. although the free sword stand should be valued at a more honest price, like maybe a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bryan View Post
    Anyone else think that the new Pin is hard to remove? Sheesh I have had some tuffies before but this feels like Gorilla glue is holding it in. I wanted to take the Tsuka off to inspect it and it is holding on with a death grip. The top pin hole is rounder then the pin, leaving a 1/8 inch gap under the pin. Should I be worried about this? I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is going on.
    Your original assumption could well be right, but you should really inspect it even closer and see if you can determine if super glue or epoxy was really used on the pin. Production forge workers may simply lack an understanding of why the pin has to be secure, yet at the same time removeable with a mekugi-nuki. Also, the use of a metal mekugi might also be a problem... copper is soft and can deform when the sword is used, causing it to bite into the mekugi-ana and making it extremely difficult to remove.

As for the top mekugi... 1/8" gap is pretty wide! Can you see through to the other side of the tsuka, or is it just the top portion that has a 1/8" gap?

I know they have a bad wrap but I must admit I bought 3 Musashi's (low end) and they were all cracked. So I think 1 crack and it is a manufacturing flaw, 3 cracks and maybe I am cracking them taking off the Tsukas. This I dont know because I have taken apart a few Sukuttos and a DF, I never found a crack. Before I maybe break another one what is the popular opinion of the new Cores? I did a search and it doesn't seem that many people are talking about the new upgrades?

Other then that I am satisfied. although the free sword stand should be valued at a more honest price, like maybe a dollar.
    You should not be cracking the tsuka by taking it off. I have a Cheness Shura katana and wakizashi, and I have removed the tsuka on both without causing them cracks.

On the bottom of the top Pin. Looks like may be it was predrilled too big. I thought maybe just the hole on the SAME was cut to to big. but the wood is same size below it. Looks to be a gap but you cant See through to the other side. The new sides of the bottom pin looks like they are facing in different directions lol. I hope it is straight and just cut at an agle on both ends. I Will take a nice Hi Rex Pic tomorrow to show you.

Re:Pins

Hello Randy,
    The pins (mekugi) should be tapered,The ana's are drilled at different angles, offset from each other.
    Did you check the mekugi the copper one, it should be tapered also make sure when you tap it out that you are doing it in the right direction. I hope this will help you.
    lol ,Jim

With the advent of all these low-end tsuka cracking so frequently I forsee a lot of homemade tsuka being made. Properly I hope. Someone with experience maybe can post a little tutorial (and maybe get a sticky regarding cheap tsuka in general - considering the recent flood of posts regarding the cracking problem, why cheap tsuka are dangerous, so on and so forth)?
    Those who do nothing for fear of regret often end up regretting that they did nothing. - Me

Here is a pic of the top pin.

Question New Cheness Kaze;

Hi again,
    It looks like some one got carried away with a drill or the Mekugi is in backwards. Do you have a Picture of the copper pin?.
    Regards,
    Jim

New Cheness Katana;

Hi Randy,
    Thanks for those great Picture's,I like the burnt orange like color of the ito,Did you ever get the copper pin out?.
    Regard's
    Jim

Be sure to try knocking it out from both sides. The mekugi are tapered, so they only fit all the way through one side. And remember which way each one goes, or else you'll have fun trying to re-assemble it.

I've never seen a copper mekugi like that, though. Interesting.

-Ethan

Hi Jim,
    To be honest I didnt try it again. Tomorrow I am buying a better rubber mallet so I will have better control and a little extra oomph. I am hoping for better results because I am anxious to see what lies beneath. I have never seen a Pin like that either. I used the tool that comes with a free cleaning kit and it bent in the process, the tip completely crinkled like an accordion lol. I guess that is why it is free.

The new Kaze seems to be pretty solid and the Saya fit is the tightest I have ever felt. It actually takes effort to pull the Katana out.

Thanks for the advice Ethan I will update once I get it out. Crossing my fingers that there isn't a mess inside.

Finally got the Tsuka off and there is a small 1/4 inch hairline crack inside. The copper mekugi was a little soft for my liking, it caved in a tad during the assembly. The only other complaint I have is that the top Seppa has glue residue on it, it looks cheap and is cheap. I give the sword 4 1/2 stars in my book. A full re-wrap with some custom fittings and I would say 5/5 stars. I think for the extra 85 bucks I could have gotten the DF Bushi class and been happy but I cant stand a Hamon with the shark bite looking theme. BTW Swords of the east was selling all their $499 dollar DF katanas for $385 shipped (1095 hybrid polished Mokko vine theme)

hmm..

actually....i have been looking around sword forum for awhile now,some people have had there share of problems with the kaze. i need to ask...my kaze chipped on me, and i have no idea on how to get them out! can someone help me? please?