Thread: Cold Steel Katana

Cold Steel Katana

Hello,

I am interested in getting one of Cold Steel's Katana and wanted to know if they are any good.
    I have heard that they are pretty beefy for Katana but are as tough as old boots. I read a reveiw here on their Chisa Katana and from what every one there said they have a few QC issuses.
    That particular review was from 2004 so I am guessing 3 years on they have vastly improved their QC. Primarily I will use it for display and heavy cutting, so I want it to be able to take a fair bit of abuse. Are they worth my money or do they still have shonky QC?

Thanks,

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=76541
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=82185

Two recent threads on this subject. They make reliable tough blades and heir customer service is more than ok. The biggest problems of their blades IMO are that they are too tip heavvy and that the geometry is not traditional. If that doesn't bother you, they meet your criteria just fine.
    Against ignorance, gods themselves struggle in vain.

At the Cold Steel web site you can request their Graohic Sword Proof DVD (they don't even charge shipping in the USA). They demo every sword they make there in extremly abusive tests. I wouldn't try some of what they do there with their swords but its cool to see and know you could.

hmm...

well, the blades are quite excellent really, very durable...just not balanced right....if i had the money to get one, i would remount it, and try and balance it. a lead weight or something

Cold Steel katana are not my first choice for training or having. But this is personal preference. The Cold Steel katana blades themselves are not bad, but not great either. But they are great beater blades at a cheap price. The tsuka construction is poorly done and has little to desire for. If you get a Cold Steel katana, have a new tsuka built and mounted on it by someone with the talent and reputation to do it. The only thing worth while about a Cold Steel katana is only the blade. The fittings are not my taste but they will do fine and can be reused. In my opinion, better handles need to be made for them.

Regards,
    Walter
    Last edited by Walter Y.F. Wong; 08-24-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Boston Samurai Arts
    www.bostonsamuraiarts.com

"They must find it difficult...Those that have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

I totally agree, the blades are great beaters and stand up well but the furniture leaves alot to be desired. They are not the cheapest price swords around, the blade is good quality and durable.
    But the rest of the sword is lacking. Been there done that..... I would think the CS blade is not worth the cost of a pro tsuka. Use it as is or just buy a better blade...to begin with...

It's strange. We have around 10 of the Warrior blades in our dojo. Whilst they are too short for me, I have cut with them to test them.

I think you are remembering an older version. The blades we have are very well balanced and the furniture is comparible with iaito. As for balance. We compared it with a Bugei Samurai in the same dimensions. The Samurai feels more "unbalanced", although the bohi on the Warrior may help it more there.

It's weird, perhaps we get a different model - although we get them from the USA.

I think a lot of perception about them comes from the older model, or second hand.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

He he, the bo-hi probably helps a lot

And IMHO the bugei Samurai is not very balanced either, if we're speaking about the 11" tsuka version. The nakago is simply too short to balance the heft of the cutting edge...
    Against ignorance, gods themselves struggle in vain.

Where's the point of balance on a Cold Steel katana?

I guess it all depends on which CS kat you mean.
    They are all on the heavy side and can really cut.
    So they don't feel as good as other kats. Most others have a 4 - 6" POB or there about. CS makes a good heavy duty beater and should be used as such...... But there are others that feel better and do just as well if not better...and maybe at a lower price too...
    Last edited by Daniel Bespalko; 08-31-2007 at 09:42 PM.

So, I surmise that 4-6" is a proper balance point for katana and that Cold Steel katana are farther from the tsuba than this?

CS Warrior I have is good

I have a CS Warrior katana and I find it has good balance, nice lines, tight fit and finish, and abit above average fittings.

It does have alot of thickness to the blade, especially at the habaki but it has good distal taper and a well executed bo-hi that lightens it. IIRC the PoB is about 5 inches out, not too close and not too far.

And it cuts very nicely. I had it up for sale for a bit but they are not in vogue so no one purchased it. The kissaki is big and is close to O'kissaki range. It is wide and has great presence. I may have lucked out and gotten one of their better ones because I have not had one rattle or problem with it.

Will MacLaren
    Where there's a Will, there's a Way.

That really worries me that the POB may be inconsistent. It makes it seem like they have very little control over the sword that they make.

No worries, usually the POB is the same on the same model.
    Longer blades and longer tsuka will always change the POB. I like the Cheness blades and come about 6" w/o bohi and 5" w/ bohi.
    The Kaze is my favorite....for a somewhat traditionally made and looking blade the natural hamon is great and the blade is strong and has the benefits of the 9260 spring steel. JMHO. Bang for the buck is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bespalko View Post
    I guess it all depends on which CS kat you mean.
    They are all on the heavy side and can really cut.
    It's all relative though - I cut with a Wind and Thunder and a larger, custom blade. To me the Warrior is very small

I was training with one of the guys on wednesday and he has a Warrior. I asked him if I could cut with it. I have cut with one before and like that time, it cut the Tatami perfectly well and also felt good in the hand.

As I mentioned on another thread, I wish they had the Warrior in a 31" bladed version. That would be a great budget tameshigiri blade for the taller bloke.

CS Warrior series

Great swords for your money IMO

I bought a CS warrior in late 05 - nice iron higo wave theme fuchi/koshira , halfway decent ray skin , tight black cotton ito , copper seppa , and a well shaped well fitted ryhugo ( waisted ) tsuka - a little tip heavy but I like a kat with some heft .

I wish I never sold it and I know I will buy another eventually

The chisa is the same as above for furniture but with a monster blade - 23" long , 10mm thick kissane and about 37mm wide at the habaki - a beast , handles like a crow bar cuts like a light sabre

I think a lot of bad press stems from the early CS warrior kats , these have been around a while and subtle changes over an 8 year period make these very different swords from each other .

also 2nd hand opinions are no good - listen to someone who has
    actually cut with one .

CS versus cheness ? for me its a no contest - complete mismatch .

go on , get one bought

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Okay - Mick talked me into getting one.
    I'll let you now how it handles when it gets here.
    If it sucks, Mick is in big trouble
    IT'S PER - NOT PAUL
    " Every man dies, but not every man truly lives "
    - Braveheart -

I have never owned a CS blade, but I have talked at lenght with the Last Legends owner who's forge is next to the CS forge, and he says the steel they use for their swords isn't the best, they cost way more than they are worth, and they are missrepresented in their advertisements. But this is second hand info, unless you fly to china and see for yourself. IMO there are alot better swords out there at the same price range, but at the amount of money we are talking, there is no perfect sword, it is give and take. I hear alot of good things about the Last Legends Katanas, the 3000 series and up have a you break it we replace it warranty, the Cheness Kaze is a very nice sword for the price, and even the Paul Chen XL line is a great deal, and they have really improved their standards in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
    I have never owned a CS blade, but I have talked at lenght with the Last Legends owner who's forge is next to the CS forge, and he says the steel they use for their swords isn't the best, they cost way more than they are worth, and they are missrepresented in their advertisements.
    Ouch! If he did say such things, he likely won't be thrilled to read about it here!
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Well that's what he told me, I cannot remember his exact words but that's basically what he said. He said your better off going with a Paul Chen at that price, cause they use better material and the balance is alot better on them

I've got plenty of PC swords.
    I just want a katana for cutting, on which I won't ruin a nice polish and hamon.
    The CS warrior katana fits that nicely.
    IT'S PER - NOT PAUL
    - Braveheart -

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
    Well that's what he told me, I cannot remember his exact words but that's basically what he said. He said your better off going with a Paul Chen at that price, cause they use better material and the balance is alot better on them
    I'd be careful what hearsay you type on other's behalf. It's not good manners for a start.

CS warrior

I got mine today
    Better cutter than my PK was. Easy-care finish too. This is going to see some action
    IT'S PER - NOT PAUL
    - Braveheart -