Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: British Slot Hilt Photos and Discussion

Grif,
    That would be a pleasure! Please let me know when you will be up this way and we can plan a get-together.

Jonathan

Hi Grif,

Thanks so much for the input on this. It was kind of an impulse buy at the time and the seller did list it as possibly being that recent (even as late as 1820). The hilt is non-ferrous as well, a magnet does not stick. There are some traces of gilt left on the basket, so I assume the whole thing had once been so. The ferrules still retain most of their gold.

The grip at first seemed like cord or copper but is apparently just wood we see. The thought was that it was likely once covered with sheet, as had been the practice earlier.

The engravings of the blade include a figure of a foot officer, sword in hand and pointing with his left. Another sword was shown here at one point whose figural character had much the same facial expression (a bit of a smirk), as if done by the same hand and maybe an engraver's inside joke.

The group had tenatively placed the sword in a somewhat earlier timeframe. Yet it seems, like so many styles, these hung around for decades.

Thanks so much for the names. those will give me more food for thought about this one. My first spadroon but it looks like I'm hooked.

Well met and I hope you enjoy the board here. Sometimes a little stagnant but often never a dul moment.

Cheers

Hotspur; watch out, Jonathan is an instigator

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    Hotspur; watch out, Jonathan is an instigator
    I think you forgot the smiley after that comment Glen. Right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    I think you forgot the smiley after that comment Glen. Right? Right?
    Well, I don't know. You are the ninja of the A&M room I see I have three new mails in my inbox and I'd be willing to wager at least two are from you I logged on to something about horseman's sabres.

We need an A&M energizer rabbit icon for you

Cheers

Hotspur; the enthusiasm of youth, I somewhat miss those days

it was meant in a good way

For reference, here is the original thread discussing Glen's nice spadroon: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=69749

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    From the volume of swords in Neumann, it appears that the slot hilt enjoyed popularity amongst the Americans for curved cavalry sabers, whereas the British slot hilt cavalry sword was generally straight bladed.

Jonathan
    Not always. The slot hilted sabers adopted for the newly formed light troops of the dragoon regiments (usually made by Jefferies) in 1759 had straight blades. However by the time of the Revolution some of the British Light Dragoons were using curved blades. I have a slot hilt marked to the 19th LD which has a curved clipped pointed blade. By the time of the Revolution the curved blades are becoming popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Don T View Post
    Not always. The slot hilted sabers adopted for the newly formed light troops of the dragoon regiments (usually made by Jefferies) in 1759 had straight blades. However by the time of the Revolution some of the British Light Dragoons were using curved blades. I have a slot hilt marked to the 19th LD which has a curved clipped pointed blade. By the time of the Revolution the curved blades are becoming popular.
    Don,
    I was not making an absolute statement, just an observation based on available examples (what I can see in books and online, mostly), and was wondering if anyone could provide further information and photos. Thank you for replying with some more information on slot hilts with curved cavalry-length blades. Do you have any photos you could share?

Thank you,
    Jonathan

This one is marked on the guard to the 19th LD. Excuse the poor late nite snapshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hilt detail

Don,
    Thank you for the photos. To when would you date this sword? 1780s? I like that clipped point!

Jonathan

It's hard to be certain. Maybe 1775-80ish.

I noticed this thread and thought perhaps I would post pics of one I have that I believe fits in the Slot Hilt catagory for comments,I have been told that it is a British officer type from around 1760 to 1790 I Think it is interesting how it has a crude decoration on it that slightly resembles an early attempt at a scallope or clam type effect....any thoughts?

Last edited by A.Wilco; 12-03-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Hello there.

I'm new, but have been a bystander in the dark so to speak, hiding in the wings. :P

I have one slot hilt sword.

Still trying to put a date on it. ; ) Still trying to get a close up of the grip, lol! I'm not sure but I'm toying with the idea that the black material might be ebony.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Jess Bruce; 12-03-2007 at 08:46 AM.

I'd suspect the grips were horn which is pretty typical on this type of British sword. I'd date it somewhere in the 1775-85 period.

I agree with the date, but I think it is ebony, which is fine for the period. Horn has a slight translucence or develops a slight greenish tinge at that age

My buxome beauty.
    I call her Slotted-Crinkle Hilt.

Slot hilt from a new member

Greetings all. I am new to this forum and would like to submit my slot hilt for comparison. Any information as to its date would be appreciated. Hope I attached the pictures properly to this message.

Richard,
    That is a very attractive lion head slot hilt! I don't feel very confident in discerning between American and British hilts of this form. Americans also carried swords with ion head pommels, but later carried swords with dog pommels and eagle pommels (which makes identification a bit easier). Dmitry or David C., do you have any perspective to add on this?

Jonathan

PS--There were several nice American examples of lion head pommels at the Baltimore Show last weekend.

Jonathan,

Thank you for your response and description. I found a very similar sword in Neumann’s page 108 “140.S English Short Saber”. I use to go the Baltimore show years ago and I was never disappointed. Thanks again.

Richard V

I wonder if the band at the base of the blade is indicative of a place of manufacture?

Jonathan

The band is indicative of the age Jonathan, it's a feature most often found on cuttoes and is not really seen after 1780, you see it on some loop hilted spadroons too. It fits into the top locket of the scabbard like a cap over the top.
    I like the fenestrated guard, looks in good condition too. My guess would be British made circa 1765-75

Quote Originally Posted by David Critchley View Post
    The band is indicative of the age Jonathan, it's a feature most often found on cuttoes and is not really seen after 1780, you see it on some loop hilted spadroons too. It fits into the top locket of the scabbard like a cap over the top.
    I like the fenestrated guard, looks in good condition too. My guess would be British made circa 1765-75
    Thanks, David. I had a look through Neumann and noticed that this feature seem pretty common on cuttoes of the period you mention.

Jonathan
    Last edited by J.G. Hopkins; 03-20-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Jonathan,

The only marking on the sword is TKB on the hilt. I have attached a picture.

Rich

Jonathan: I have a silver-"wavy"-hilted slot guard by Fayle of London with beautiful lion pommel and silver-wrapped, ebony(?) blackwood grip. (circa 1765) Blade is a spadroon type. Very similar to the one in the Smithsonian worn by Gen. Benj. Lincoln.The silver is unmarked. And another 4-slot guard with assey marks for 1799 by Read of Portsmouth - It appears to me that the slotguard period for this type sword is from 1750 or so to 1800... being very popular during the time of the Rev War. Sorry I can't furnish photos...will have to get a device for my computer... My understanding is that silver-hilts are sometimes not marked with assay figures because many of them do not contain enough silver content to qualify... the reason - pure silver tends to shatter in cold weather and apparently some British, I assume officers, had this problem during the F & Indian War... I read that someplace... Grif

I think it is a British officers short-sabre which were in use in the 18th century. Not an NCO sword. It is beautiful!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast