Thread: Question about Paul Chen Katana

Question about Paul Chen Katana

I understand that the Paul Chen Practical Katana has the tusca securied to the tang with epoxy. Is the grip on the Practical Plus removable or secured with expoy?

Thanks

The tsuka on the Practical Plus is removable, yes. However, after taking several iaito and production-level katana apart and realizing how much of a pain it can be to get everything together again without developing wiggles, rattles or other assorted fit issues, my suggestion is to never take them apart in the first place, unless you absolutely have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hartgraves View Post
    I understand that the Paul Chen Practical Katana has the tusca securied to the tang with epoxy. Is the grip on the Practical Plus removable or secured with expoy?

Thanks
    Hello Michael, Only the Classic Practical Katana (ref# SH1070) features an epoxied tsuka. Every other model, including the new Performance Series Practical (ref# SH6000KPC) have removeable tsuka.

Blake
    CAS Hanwei Marketing Director

Talking tsuka on perminantly?

Older pks had glued on handles.the new ones dont but can still seam hard to take off sometimes.I had to smash the handle on my first gen to remove it.If you have to rapp on the tsuba to loosen the blade use care not to damage the habaki .I think If you destroy a glued on handle and endever to craft your own its not a loss on a practical katana but an improvement.I love the feel of a handle I fit to my own hand.You cant get more custom than that!

I have a practical xl that isn't epoxied. If your in the market for one I have one for sale in the classifieds :P But anyway I believe that these guys are correct, that only the practical katana only has the epoxy.