Thread: Changing Tsuba on LL Field Mk IV

Changing Tsuba on LL Field Mk IV

Hi,
    I have a Last Legend Field Mark IV katana and although I like the Sword, I think that the Musashi style Tsuba is ugly.
    Any suggestions, or better still photo's of other Tsuba's on the LL Field Mk IV.
    Problem is that it's such a large sword, most Tsuba's won't suit (or fit)

Thanks
    Cryf oedd calon hn y glas glogwyni,
    Cryfach oedd ei ebill ef a'i ddr,
    Chwyddodd gyfoeth gŵr yr aur a'r faenol,
    O'i enillion prin a'i amal gr.

Field MK IV

Gwyn,

No photos. This is the one with the very wide motohaba, correct? Then I will offer advice that you should look for a tsuba with a larger amount of metal just around the ana. Then slowly remove metal with a file EVENLY to get it to fit. You will want to make tiny adjustments and check it often. Use a triangular file for chain-saw sharpening to elongate at the ha-side. You don't want to take off too much and it fit with a lot of slop. And keeping the sides at complimentary angles to the blade's geometry will help with that, too. If you finally achieve a good, tight fit and it can't be removed, then you need to stop. Don't hammer on the tsuba to remove it, make a v-shaped cut out of the end of a 2 X 4 with an overall length of about 16" and, using a rubber mallet, hit the newly made tool while the "feet" rest in the middle of the tsuba, straddling the blade. Move it around a bit to loosen the tsuba after each mild strike. You can use it on the other side to re-install the tsuba after you are finished working on the blade and are ready to mount it. Just don't choose a tsuba with a lot of cut-outs if you plan to go this route.

Later,

Shannon
    Last edited by J.S. Hill; 09-03-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: to correct numbers

Great advice thanks, I will certainly do this if I find a suitable Tsuba.

Anybody else out there with advice on the actual type of Tsuba that would look good on the LL FM IV ?
    Any photo's ?

Thanks
    Cryf oedd calon hn y glas glogwyni,
    Cryfach oedd ei ebill ef a'i ddr,
    Chwyddodd gyfoeth gŵr yr aur a'r faenol,
    O'i enillion prin a'i amal gr.