Thread: Unidentified saber/cavalry sword

Unidentified saber/cavalry sword

Greetings all!

I am new to this forum and somewhat new to antique swords also. I apologize that my first posting to the forum is a 'help me' posting. I was, however, suggested to do so.

I recently bought an old saber in a Finnish web auction. Unfortunately the previous owner only knew the he'd bought is in an another auction some years ago.

The sword is quite basic cavalry sword type of a weapon. The total length is 89 cm, the blade length is 76.5 cm and the blade width at the base is 3 cm.

I found three stamps on the sword. On the blade it self there's possibly a number three near the guard. On the guard there's a '77' and a small anchor. I tried to get them visible in the attached pictures.

I found a small strip of leather between the wooden handle and handle guard. So apparently the handle has originally been leather covered.

The scabbard with two mounts is made of steel. Judging from the very good match of the blade and scabbard I'd say that the blade has not been shortened. Also the scabbard shows no marks of modifications. There's no markings on the scab.

The sword bears resemblance to British Patterns 1788 and 1796 light cavalry swords and Italian M1833 artillery saber. The differences are, however, quite clear. The sources in the Finnish, Swedish or Russian swords that I've found have not shown anything that matches to this one.

Based on simple markings and lack of decoration it is likely to be an enlisted man's weapon. The anchor stamp could point to naval usage.

Anyway, I would appreciate if the experts took a look at the attached pictures. Any suggestions on the origin is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Petteri
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Swedish definetly, Artillery i think

that will give you a good place to work from as to the pat not sure
    “Do you know what astonished me most in the world? The inability of force to create anything. In the long run, the sword is always beaten by the spirit.” Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by dominic grant View Post
    Swedish definetly, Artillery i think

that will give you a good place to work from as to the pat not sure
    Thank you for the tip Dominic. I've spent my evenings surfing through the Swedish sword and collectors sites. I still have not found the match, though.

Maybe I need to brush up my Swedish language and write a question on a Swedish discussion board

Cheers,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Petteri Heino View Post
    Maybe I need to brush up my Swedish language and write a question on a Swedish discussion board
    Don't waste your time, this is not swedish sword. It doesn't correspond to any official army or navy model.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan B. View Post
    Don't waste your time, this is not swedish sword. It doesn't correspond to any official army or navy model.
    Hi Ivan, own 3 different Swedish swords all of official artillery patterns all with similar markings including the anchor so i stand by my assumption of swedish

there is always the possibility of a rehilting or even of course this is a possible private purchase or an unrecognised pat

however i am always open to debate

thoughts from antone else?
    “Do you know what astonished me most in the world? The inability of force to create anything. In the long run, the sword is always beaten by the spirit.” Napoleon Bonaparte

Hi Dominic
    Swords with this type of hilt - narrow langets and P-hilt - is quite unusual for Sweden. I never seen them and biggest swedish weapon historics - Olof Berg and J. Alm - do not mention something like this.
    Swedish artillery troopers since 1808used british LC96 swords and since 1831 swords with same hilt as on LC96, but doubly fullered blade. And before 1808 Sweden didn't have steel scabbards.
    Navy troopers used hangers made from old swords or purchased in England (straight version of M1804).
    By the end of 1800th they also had old cavalry swords.

Officers had different models, but all of them are quite far from this sword.

But of course, it could be rehilted or privately made. The anchor looks very "swedish", swordmakers from Eskilstuna used similar marks around 1850.