Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36

Thread: Collection of Arms and Armor from Turkey

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Gaballa View Post
    Do you have any higher res pictures of the Mamluk mail-and-plate armours by any chance?
    Which ones are you looking for? I could possibly e-mail them to you this weekend when I get home.
    Sanity... is for the Weak

    Myth: Most Chinese know kung-fu
    Fact: All Chinese know kung-fu... but only a handful practice it

  2. #27
    Sword, German, 14th C


    Sword, Italian, 15th C


    Closed Helm (Maxamillien), German, 1520-1530


    Tilting Helm, Italian, 16th Century


    Helm, Hungarian, 16th Century, Bishop's Mantle, Probably Hungarian 16th Century


    Helms, Various


    Helm, Dutch Pot, 1640-1650


    Helm, Russian, 17th Century


    Helms, Various
    Sanity... is for the Weak

    Myth: Most Chinese know kung-fu
    Fact: All Chinese know kung-fu... but only a handful practice it

  3. #28
    And, that's all. I hope that the series of exhibits was as informative for you as it was for me.

    Thank you.
    Sanity... is for the Weak

    Myth: Most Chinese know kung-fu
    Fact: All Chinese know kung-fu... but only a handful practice it

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Elliot Lake
    Posts
    594
    thanks again
    those are some cool pictures
    think i've been over the armor pictures several times.. very nice

    it was informative for me..

    Greg

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Merseyside, United Kingdom
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomé Loh View Post
    Which ones are you looking for? I could possibly e-mail them to you this weekend when I get home.
    Thanks for the generous offer. I meant the gilded mail-and-plate armours you had in your first and second posts. I have previously only seen poor quality Black and white photos of these armours. At least one of them is attributed to the 15th century Mamluk sultan Qaitbay.
    Last edited by H. Gaballa; 12-07-2007 at 04:40 PM.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Greater Manchester,United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,203
    cool pics Tome , thankyou .

    I notice that the Arming Sword, German, 14th C and the Long Sword, German, 14th C have arabic script on the blades
    "If metal can be polished to a mirror-like finish,
    What polishing might the Mirror of the Heart require"

    Rumi

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Merseyside, United Kingdom
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazB View Post
    cool pics Tome , thankyou .

    I notice that the Arming Sword, German, 14th C and the Long Sword, German, 14th C have arabic script on the blades
    I'm guessing the Arabic script would have been added after the swords were captured by the Ottomans. A lot of the European items in the Askeri Muse would have been captured during the Ottoman campaigns in Central Europe and the Balkans.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    43
    Tomé, thank you for the great photos, especially of the often forgotten Military Museum. It seems only schoolchildren are dragged there! Reminds me, when I was visiting the museum five years ago, I was thrown out - in the most friendly way- of the museum, for trying to photograph the armours and swords. The staff considered ALL items sensitive military objects...

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Wim Durinx View Post
    Tomé, thank you for the great photos, especially of the often forgotten Military Museum. It seems only schoolchildren are dragged there! Reminds me, when I was visiting the museum five years ago, I was thrown out - in the most friendly way- of the museum, for trying to photograph the armours and swords. The staff considered ALL items sensitive military objects...
    You're most welcome. It seems like they've changed their attitude somewhat; all you need to do is to pay a 12 Lira fee to bring a camera in and ensure that no flash is used on the exhibits, and the curators will generally leave you alone.
    Sanity... is for the Weak

    Myth: Most Chinese know kung-fu
    Fact: All Chinese know kung-fu... but only a handful practice it

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Did you realize that European swords are also called kilic?

    Kilic is a general term for sword in Turkish as shamshir is in Persian.

    Tome did you find out how to resize your pictures so that they can be posted on SFI directly?

    Kind regards
    Manouchehr

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Tome did you find out how to resize your pictures so that they can be posted on SFI directly?
    Yes, I have. However, on reconsideration, I have decided to keep the pictures hosted on flickr to keep the rights on them.

    Regards, and Happy New Year!
    Sanity... is for the Weak

    Myth: Most Chinese know kung-fu
    Fact: All Chinese know kung-fu... but only a handful practice it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •