Thread: 1 Live 1 Iaito

1 Live 1 Iaito

Hello all, Im new to the forum but have finally been granted access. Anyway here are two of my blades.
    Top is a 28" Cheness Delux Iaito Carbon blade
    Bottom is a 28.75" Dynasty Forge Bushi Tri Steel Folded Shinken Wave Theme.
    I love them both, and was very impressed with the Cheness even after owning my Dynasty considering the price. The Tsuka wrap is very tight and the over all look of the sword is that of one that is high quality. I have an Oni Forge Bushido on the way which I will aslo post. Enjoy the pictures.

Here are some more pics. Hope you enjoy

Love the Hada and Hamon, Very active.

Dynasty Forge Bushi Tri-Fold

Advice please? Does anyone have any Idea how to remove the Brass Mekugi from the Cheness? Also my Dynasty seems to be very tough. I dont want to damage the Tsuka.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DAgostino View Post
    Advice please? Does anyone have any Idea how to remove the Brass Mekugi from the Cheness? Also my Dynasty seems to be very tough. I dont want to damage the Tsuka.
    Why do you wish to remove them? I've heard one horror-story of removing the brass "mekugi", and I wouldn't recommend it unless you intend to replace it with a traditional mekugi. On your DF-blade, just keep pounding with the mekugi-nuki (I assume you have one), it'll come off eventually, but be sure to have a spare mekugi standing by in case the one(s) you removed gets damaged.

Nice pics, btw. Good way to display the difference between a fake and a real hamon. And welcome to SFI!
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

The kissaki polish on the DF isn't that good... but I really like that blade. Nice hamon and hada (Guys, I'm starting to learn the terms! Woo-hoo!! ). Thanks for sharing!
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

your right the kissaki polish is not that great on the Dynasty forge. Hopefully they will step this up a bit. Its not like its that cheap of a blade. Ill take your advice on the brass Mekugi. And yes you can obviously tell the difference of real vs fake hamon, although I was qiute impressed with Cheness finished product. Im thinking of purchasing a live blade from them soon, possible the Kaze due to the clay tempering process.

I think that if you drill a hole through the brass pin it will release some pressure and make it easier to remove.
    The drill should be about half the dimension of the pin, but care needs to be taken not to deform the end when removing it.
    If you pound on it too hard the end might expand, making it even more difficult to remove.

I too have a dynasty forge katana, and do not care for the kissaki.
    I want to polish the whole blade but have other things to do first.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin P. View Post
    The kissaki polish on the DF isn't that good... but I really like that blade. Nice hamon and hada (Guys, I'm starting to learn the terms! Woo-hoo!! ). Thanks for sharing!
    If you take a step on to their Daimyo series - which is hand polished traditonally, I found the kissaki polish pretty impressive on mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dear Jon,

Please learn to parry.

Love,

Your Innards x

The Exiles

I. . . was very impressed with the Cheness even after owning my Dynasty considering the price. The Tsuka wrap is very tight and the over all look of the sword is that of one that is high quality.
    I have the same iaito in the 29" (2.45) version. I'm also impressed with mine for the price, although I would omit the alloy fuchigana and tsuka gashira from the "look of high quality." It looks like they did a better polish job on your kissaki than they did on mine, and your samegawa looks nicer, too.

Incidentally, do you know what the menuki is supposed to be? It looks vaguely dragon-y, but it looks like there could be some bit of armour mixed in there, too.

Susan I have no idea what it is and ive been staring at it quite a bit.

Does anyone have any pictures or thoughts on Oni Forge Bushido? Like i said before I have one coming in.

.... although I was qiute impressed with Cheness finished product. Im thinking of purchasing a live blade from them soon, possible the Kaze due to the clay tempering process.
    You may want to reconsider about getting DH blade from cheness.
    The end of the sword isn't hardned. No boshi.
    In short, the hamon runs off the blade like waterfall.

Thanks Hong. Ill check it out later. The "DH" is what Model exactly.

Thanks Hong. Ill check it out later. The "DH" is what Model exactly.
    He means Differentially Hardened - the clay tempering blade treatment that is the Kaze's main selling point. I believe it is the only Cheness blade to have a genuine hamon, but if there's no boshi...

Although they offer solid through-tempered blades, I personally would avoid Cheness for cutting blades because of their notoriously poor quality tsuka. They come in batches made from a template rather than fitted to each blade. Not good, not safe.

I have an ukigumo katana from oni forge - albeit the original DH non folded one - and it's proved a well fitted, handles nicely, and cuts well with good technique. Same goes for my DF Daimyo - I was very impressed with the polish on that one. The polish on Oni forge blades and the DF Bushi line may not be high grade but I'm confident it will be better than anything cheness put out.
    Dear Jon,

Please learn to parry.

Love,

Your Innards x

The Exiles