Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New job/involvement announcement...

New job/involvement announcement...

Hey folks,

Derrick Guo and I have been hammering some stuff out the last few days, and I think we've come to a decision. Starting in '08 I will be working with Dynasty Forge to produce some one off customized blades for sale on their website. All of the blades will feature one or more of the following, new tsukamakis, full rayskin wraps, lacquered sayas, rattan wraps, new koshirae, hybrid or hybrid / fingerstone polished blades, some silver, gold, and copper plating (if I ever get those electroplating kits), and heck, maybe I can get a Kago-Ken or two out there.

I've decided that one off pieces are probably a better way to go than taking custom orders since it gives me as much time as I need to work on specific themes and styles without feeling pressured to get a job finished for a client. I will of course try to cater to what I feel would be popular or at the very least well accepted.

Of course, this isn't to say I won't take custom orders ever again for customizing, however the easiest way to get something customized would probably be to go through Dynasty Forge and have a blade sent to me so it becomes part of a queue. My schedule will undoubtedly become much more hectic, perhaps wait times for customizing may become months instead of the week or two I try to do them in now.

I have long been a fan of Dynasty Forge blades as many of you know, and out of all the production swords I have owned, I feel very comfortable throwing official support behind their product. Of course this announcement is to say that I am no longer a 100% objective observer for Dynasty Forge swords like I have been in the last few years, as of such it is obviously in everyone's interest that I disclose my involvement. However, hopefully this will lend more credence to the Dynasty Forge line as I am usually regarded as the person who has handled more production blades than perhaps any two or three other people out there combined.

Some of this of course will be subject to change. None of this has started yet and I still think pricing has to be hashed out. We know having pieces customized in the US as opposed to straight from the factory can be a big price difference, so we will be doing our best to keep prices reasonable.

Here's hoping '08 will be a prosperous New Year.

Aaron
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Congrats, Aaron! Of course, I'll still valve and respect your opinion on production swords. I think that you're a class act, and will always be honest with us - regardless of who you're working for.

Best wishes for 08!
    Mike

well done Aaron

I am glad to see the direction you have taken and for me the DF blades are a fantastic canvass to work on ,

you'll soon be putting out adds like " I have 10 spaces in the queue
    for late 2012 so its on a 1st come 1st serve basis folks "

what a great mutual endorsement it is for both you and DF - as you have already got a customer base and a name in good standing plus with the support base derrick can offer i dont forsee
    any of the pitfalls happening to you that have befallen so many who set out on this path .

merry xmas and the best of luck for 2008 mate

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Congrats Aaron!

I may consider getting a DF blade now

I wish you much luck!
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

Hey Aaron thats fantastic! I cant wait to see how it all works out! Also... got the DF tsuka today... Thanks so much for rewrapping it for me... looks and feels great!

I think that is great Aaron, I have long been a fan of your work, and think that you having the opportunity to work at something you love and fee passionate about is marvelous
    Best of luck

polishing services

Hey Aaron

Will the hybrid/fingerstone polishing be just for new DF blades for finishing work only ? Or will you be offering foundation/finishing polish on other blades as well ?

on a seperate note :

I am usually regarded as the person who has handled more production blades than perhaps any two or three other people out there combined.

aint that the truth - your probably the only guy who can comment on all the quality production makes out there and we know its from hands on experience , not 3rd hand hearsay as isoften the case

cheers
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Quote Originally Posted by AaronThomas View Post
    Hey Aaron thats fantastic! I cant wait to see how it all works out! Also... got the DF tsuka today... Thanks so much for rewrapping it for me... looks and feels great!
    Hey Aaron,

sorry I didn't get you pics sooner, I was so swamped with holiday stuff it was actually easier to throw it in the mail on my way to work... but it arrived quickly and safely it seems.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    Hey Aaron

Will the hybrid/fingerstone polishing be just for new DF blades for finishing work only ? Or will you be offering foundation/finishing polish on other blades as well ?

on a seperate note :

I am usually regarded as the person who has handled more production blades than perhaps any two or three other people out there combined.

aint that the truth - your probably the only guy who can comment on all the quality production makes out there and we know its from hands on experience , not 3rd hand hearsay as isoften the case

cheers

Any or all custom orders I would like to do directly and only with Dynasty Forge products if possible. I've yet to see a Paul Chen blade with a good enough finish I can go straight to fingerstones with. They've all been too uneven.

If things are slow I will probably take customization orders on the side, but as I mentioned I would prefer the one off deal or a custom order through Dynasty Forge.

-edit- let me reiterate that, what I mean is I don't want to use Dynasty Forge's webspace to fulfill my own customizing business. I'd like to handle customizing directly through Dynasty Forge, either doing one off pieces or having someone purchase from Dynasty to have it customized by me. I'm probably going to close up my website and use it mainly for displaying the custom pieces I am doing rather than an all over display of customizing options.
    Last edited by Aaron Justice; 12-23-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Ronin Outpost

Thats great News Aaron, I hope to get my DF to you for the polish job before I have to go through DF itself. I emailed ya.

Congrats, Aaron for the high quality customs I've seen from you, you deserve it!

best regards
    ----------------------------
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    Hey Aaron,

sorry I didn't get you pics sooner, I was so swamped with holiday stuff it was actually easier to throw it in the mail on my way to work... but it arrived quickly and safely it seems.

Yeah... It was funny... was waiting for the pics of menuki when there was a knock at the door and it was the tsuka!

Nice move Aaron, Hope you have blast with DF.
    Good Luck.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

Congratulations Aaron, your work is defiantly worthy of a larger audience

Allow me to be cynical.

From a business stand point of view it's Win Win..

DF gets increased sales from now a customisable options and good rep of Aaron, While Aaron has pretty much guranteed his own stream of customers instead of one off requests.

As for the Consumer, its now pretty much, either You buy a DF blade or you don't get Aaron's work doen on any other sword.

Profits folks Profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Yeung View Post
    Allow me to be cynical.

From a business stand point of view it's Win Win..

DF gets increased sales from now a customisable options and good rep of Aaron, While Aaron has pretty much guranteed his own stream of customers instead of one off requests.

As for the Consumer, its now pretty much, either You buy a DF blade or you don't get Aaron's work doen on any other sword.

Profits folks Profits.
    Mr. Yeung, this is the first time I have ever been criticized for making a good business decision. It feels rather odd in many ways.

Ronin Outpost

Aaron good luck and we'll be watching for updates on the new stuff!
    "He was an angel once, he didn't mean to fall. He just hung out with the wrong people..."

Good Omens

No no, I didn't say it was a bad decision on your part.

In fact I think it was a great choice if I was someone of ur calibre in the same position. I said it was a Win Win from a business and profits stand point

I'm just being cynical and stating another side of the coin. The end consumers side.

Aaron, congratulations on everything!

Since I'm still a n00b to swords and sword-collecting, I've tried to read a lot of older threads before asking questions that have probably been asked a thousand times before on this forum... so as to not waste people's time. And from reading your older posts over the years I think most any objective observer can see that you have always been fair, unbiased, and genuinely enthusiastic about this hobby.

If anyone wants to accuse Aaron of being motivated by profit, just ask him how many and what kinds of swords he has sold over the years at substantial loss to himself in both time and money while writing helpful reviews for the rest of us. I don't even know, since older classifieds threads are deleted periodically... but I bet it was a lot... so much that it seems to have even been an inside-joke of sorts a while back.... LoL!
    Last edited by Benjamin P.; 12-24-2007 at 07:13 AM.
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Yeung View Post
    No no, I didn't say it was a bad decision on your part.

In fact I think it was a great choice if I was someone of ur calibre in the same position. I said it was a Win Win from a business and profits stand point

I'm just being cynical and stating another side of the coin. The end consumers side.
    It was the "Profits folks Profits" remark that annoyed me the most. It feels like I've been fingered as someone who only cares about the money side of things rather than being interested in producing the highest quality product I can.

There's no guaranteed money here. If my products don't sell, I don't make money. If anything continuing to take custom commissions is a sure thing as I get paid up front for everything. Here I don't get paid until afterwards.

Ronin Outpost

Nice move, man! Congratulations!

I think this partnership will be very good on the very consumer side mentioned before: you and Derrick are wonderful people to deal with.
    Im looking forward to see some

I'd wish you luck Aaron, but as I've seen your work, you don't need it!! Congrats on the "promotion". Make sure you get the corner office and the crazy hot secretary.
    Alright! You and your bastages can gamble. But don't try no fargin' trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling!

Congratulations Aaron! I can't wait to see your work when you have Dynasty Forge backing you all the way. Could it be even better?
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

Aaron,

does that mean we might see a pimped-out Benkei Nagamaki some day?

Congratulations on the position,
    Michael
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

麻の中の蓬 - if even the most crooked person is surrounded by good people, he will straighten up as does mugwort growing in a hemp field

おまえはすでに死んでいる... - 北斗の拳

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Aaron,

does that mean we might see a pimped-out Benkei Nagamaki some day?

Congratulations on the position,
    Michael
    Probably would be a fully custom order. That's be one beast to polish though... what a gigantic blade...

Ronin Outpost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast