Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New job/involvement announcement...

Good move! Been watching your progress throughout the last couple of years. I remember when you were afraid to do tsukamaki and just wrapped tsuka around and around. DF have also been my favourite production swords and you have really done some good ones. Keep it up.
    Byako

Makes me pause as I'd love to acquire a set of swords with the double ring tsuba.

A tanto
    A Wak
    A ko-katana
    A katana
    A o-katana
    A Benkei Nagamaki ...

And I'd love to buy it from you. Especially if you're so close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Habzansky View Post
    Good move! Been watching your progress throughout the last couple of years. I remember when you were afraid to do tsukamaki and just wrapped tsuka around and around. DF have also been my favourite production swords and you have really done some good ones. Keep it up.

You mean this don't you?

This was my first true customizing project. Got to say it does have a little sentimental value to me. A spiral leather grip is actually pretty comfortable, but doesn't scream talent or hard work.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sinder View Post
    Makes me pause as I'd love to acquire a set of swords with the double ring tsuba.

A tanto
    A Wak
    A ko-katana
    A katana
    A o-katana
    A Benkei Nagamaki ...

And I'd love to buy it from you. Especially if you're so close by.
    *gulp* I can't imagine how long it would take to do all that...

Or do you want a couple of them, not all? You'd have to have a really hefty budget for all that.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

That was the one I remember. Also from hybrid polish to now with stone. You just keep getting better and better.
    Byako

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    *gulp* I can't imagine how long it would take to do all that ... Or do you want a couple of them, not all? You'd have to have a really hefty budget for all that.
    Not all at once, maybe one a year. But I'd want it all themed the same. An Iaito that was also an o-katana size would be a good place to start.

I so wish I was rich enough to order all that all at once.

Hey for the record, I like that pic, that grip looks comfy lol
    "He was an angel once, he didn't mean to fall. He just hung out with the wrong people..."

Good Omens

background...

I must insist you keep the tiles on the floor for background of all your future projects...

Since you keep getting better all the time, without the tiles, how are we to be sure it is really you that did the nearly perfect (and getting better all the time) work and not some Japanese-taught expert...

All the best in your endeavors...

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Samija View Post
    I must insist you keep the tiles on the floor for background of all your future projects...

Since you keep getting better all the time, without the tiles, how are we to be sure it is really you that did the nearly perfect (and getting better all the time) work and not some Japanese-taught expert...

All the best in your endeavors...
    I too appreciate the tiles, they are a good background for photos,

Good luck, Aaron. Don't you go backlogging yourself, we don't need another burned-out enthusiast. And I hope you'll keep posting your results here once in a while, your katana-themes have been a source of inspiration on more than one occasion.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Keep the tiles!!!!!!!!!
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

The tiles ain't going nowhere...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    The tiles ain't going nowhere...
    Actually, I'll probably have to lose the tiles. Derrick wants his new website (in the works, should be finished soon) to be as congruent as possible, so I took some shots to see if I could get them to look the same.

This blade won't be for sale on his website (well, maybe someday) but it is sort of and idea of what to expect.

Ronin Outpost

I would suggest using a white background. The sword doesn't seem to disappear in it.
    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

if you have any say in the tsuka-matter, please-please-PLEASE get rid of the stick-straight tsuka-cores..
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    if you have any say in the tsuka-matter, please-please-PLEASE get rid of the stick-straight tsuka-cores..
    No, please dont.
    Perhaps add something different, but there are some who like straight tsuka.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem Bastos View Post
    No, please dont.
    I agree.. when I want a tsuka, I want it straight!
    ----------------------------
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

For the love of God... no more straight tsuka.... please....
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem Bastos View Post
    No, please dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRusso View Post
    I agree.. when I want a tsuka, I want it straight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin P. View Post
    For the love of God... no more straight tsuka.... please....

Guys, I honestly don't think I see the same thing you guys are. I've never seen a Dynasty Forge tsuka that was completely straight. Just cruise through their site and look at their pics.

Here's an outline of a straight Chen tsuka. The Dynasty Forge tsuka isn't heavily curved, but it does better follow the sori of the katana than of course Paul Chen does.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ronin Outpost

The DF tsuka in Aarons pic has a pronounced taper from fuchi to koshira and does follow the flow of the sword very well - some of us like a more hiachi shaped tsuka with more pronounced curvature and an increase in height along the last few inches of the mune seam - no way are these the axe handle tsuka of earlier gen hanwei katana .

obviously you wont get the little nuances of a hand carved core but there looks like theres some shaping going on here .

when people are saying " please , no more straight tsuka " do they mean generally or do they mean that the DF swords have really straight tsuka ? I thought the DF tsuka looked pretty well shaped for production pieces .

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Since people are using this thread as a bit of a wish list, how about kodachi/shoto that are more "normally" sized? What ryuha use these 20" blade, 7" tsuka monsters? How about something with a 14"-15" blade and a 5" tsuka?

To keep this post on topic, how much would that much suriage and tsuka shortening cost, approximately?

Well, atleast DF tsukas have some taper unlike the Paul Chen ones. IMO DF tsukas don't look that bad.
    "I couldn't believe you would LIE about foxes!"

When i said straight I mean, I strongly dislike tsuka shape named "Rikko" the "hourglass shape", I like it 'straight on the handle', even if it follows the saya curvature"Morozori" style, like most tachis.
    ----------------------------
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MRusso View Post
    When i said straight I mean, I strongly dislike tsuka shape named "Rikko" the "hourglass shape", I like it 'straight on the handle', even if it follows the saya curvature"Morozori" style, like most tachis.
    That's essentially what Paul Chen started doing. Their tsuka cores remain straight, but they started waisting a lot of them. It's an improvement, but not a full remedy.

Ronin Outpost

I have had all of the above in a tsuka, I perfer the tsuka to follow the shape of the blade, with a small amount of the hourglass shape, but finding a consistant happy medium in a production katana is hard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast