Thread: Stolen american silver eagle hilt

Stolen american silver eagle hilt

I am very bummed out right now....

Please keep your eyes open for my latest acquisition that I never got see...thanks to the USPS....at this point it is presumed stolen...

Marked WB on scabbard keeper/cover.

Thank you.

Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My heart goes out to you. What a beautify piece! On the bright side, it certainly has a quite distinctive look and is a high-end piece. If the thief tries to sell it, there may be a reasonable chance it will be recognized.

I lost an Osborn eagle head slot hilt with horn grip last year. The US postal service notified me that it was in a holding facility and they did not know where to send it. I ask them how they knew to email me, then they said they can't find it. I still don't have it and still pine a bit. Really sorry for your loss thats a super nice hunting sword with very ornate scabbard, silver eagle, original chain, and arsenic green ivory. Should be easy to pick out in a crowd. What a tough Tuesday. I will keep an eye out for it. Regards Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

That's a terrible thing to happen. Here's hoping you recover it.

Ouch You might want to repost it in the Stolen section as well
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/for...n-Swords-Alert

If you don't mind my asking; Where did it ship from?

Best
    Glen

Simon,

Sorry to hear of this. I will definitiely let you know if I see this on the net anywhere. Have you filed a report with the police--this could prove useful if it turns up. Many would consider this one an art sword.
    Tom Donoho

Thank you all for the condolences. The sword was being sent back to me after professional restoration. It went awol out of Milwaukee, WI.

I have also posted it on ebay...a little creatively, but I think it stands out...

Best,
    Simon
    Last edited by Simon R.; 06-28-2017 at 08:15 PM.

I did see it on ebay and will copy link to facebook and various collector groups. Eric
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 06-28-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    I did see it on ebay and will copy link to facebook and various collector groups. Eric
    Thanks Eric.... very much appreciated.
    Simon

This must be so annoying! Maybe better to use couriers rather than postal service?

Update!

On June 6, 2017 this sword went missing being returned from the my conservator via USPS PRIORITY EXPRESS (not cheapo ground).

There was NO USPS insurance on the sword. I did have private insurance.

I filed a claim and was paid out the "replacement value" as established by John Sexton. However, I REALLY wanted my sword back, not the insurance money. I posted the sword on this thread and circulated it through the regular industry brethren. I also creatively listed it on e-bay. Each month I refreshed the listing. October 24th I get an e-bay message..."just to let you know the sword was not stolen. I bought it at a USPS auction"...(something along those lines)...heart rate: 0-120mph in .ooo5 seconds...GAME FACE ON...This should be simple right???...WRONG!!!

The purchaser graciously gave me the number to the head guy in the USPS Mail Recovery Center (MRC) in Atlanta. The Purchaser had apparently purchased the sword in a bulk lot at auction. He then set about researching the sword on e-bay; and WHALAAR! The exact sword (my sword) popped up as stolen in my listing. So he then contacted the auctioneer, which ultimately led to his getting to the manager of the MRC. In my initial call to the MRC manager, I was chastised for sending items by the cheapest form possible (which was irrelevant, as well as untrue). Perhaps Priority Express is interpreted differently internally within the Postal Service. It was then alluded to that I was just some guy trying to make a claim for a fortune..... and told some stories of all of the important people who come through there??? FBI, police,.... and people claiming MIG parts for millions??? Anyway, the conversation concluded with me sending him all of my documentation about the sword. This I did...purchase receipt, conservator receipt, insurance claim, postal cases opened (from both ends) and the appraisal....

In the meantime, I offered to pay the purchaser directly for the sword and cut out the post office entirely. Nah...uh...not going to happen...The purchaser was in a great position, and knew it. He assured me that he would get me the sword back, but not until he got value out of the MRC for his trouble. Although I completely understand this, it didn't make me feel anymore secure that I would get the sword back...in fact, I felt less secure....Especially when things went sideways with the negotiation between the purchaser and the MRC. The purchaser said that the MRC offered him junk, and the MRC said that the purchaser only paid a pittance for the lot and should be satisfied???WTF??? "So.." I said, "What you are saying, is that You (USPS) damaged, lost, and then sold MY sword at auction...for YOUR PROFIT....AND then, when informed, would not fairly compensate the purchaser to get the sword back... instead you elected to haggle using OTHER people's "lost" items in settlement for damages that had resulted from USPS incompetence in the first place!!! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS?????

Anyhow, I guess they came to an arrangement. The next day and the purchaser returned the sword to the auctioneer, who returned the sword to the MRC, who returned the sword to me...damaged... minus a bunch of leather from flaking off. Yesterday I mailed a check to the insurance company for the full amount I paid for the sword prior to conservation....I was happy to do it!!! My extreme thanks and gratuity goes out to the purchaser who kept his word and returned the sword.

Due to the circulation of the sword in our niche markets, I don't believe the sword could ever have been sold cleanly. Nonetheless, I am happy not to have that theory tested!

This is being posted in the hopes of being of some value to all sword collectors. If the sword had been insured through USPS, they would have simply said that they owned the sword, as the insurance had been paid. However, being insured privately appeared to activate some other form of obligation. Regardless, it should have done so anyway given that the USPS values public "trust" as being their highest priority.

Lesson 1. Carry private Insurance
    Lesson 2. Put some form of label in the bubble-wrap inside the box.

Onward.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon R.; 11-11-2017 at 11:05 PM.

I am happy for you that there is some sort of closure on the matter.

Packaging can be tricky at times and with conveyors involved, stuff does occasionally get stuck and mauled. I retrieved one of the triangle boxes at the po once that had pretty much been ripped in half, then taped up. I was amazed the sword and scabbard went relatively unmarred. That one was "lost" about a week after arrival at my local po and it was two trips to the site to hunt it down. The clerk handing me the package just kind of smirked without any explanation. The sender assured me it was once a crispy box.

Something about Mercury retrograde or other energy screwing with a lot of things this year.

May the future bring nothing but easy breezy transits of goods.