Thread: Chen Bamboo Stick Katana SH1002?

Question Chen Bamboo Stick Katana SH1002?

Hi All:

I am new to SF (this is my first post), but I am not new to swords and fencing. I am looking for recommendations for a working katana for taking on lengthy deep back woods kayaking and camping trips. The katana should have some specific characteristics:

1. The katana should NOT have a tsuba (guard) ... it makes packing and storage of the blade more difficult in a kayak or backpack. I will strap the katana to the deck strapping or gunwale of my kayak, and a tsuba would get in the way.

2. The blade should be either straight or moderately curved.

3. Blade should be sturdy, and capable of tamagishiri (although that will not be it's primary duty).

4. Blade should NOT be stainless. If possible, blade should be differentially tempered and have a real hamon.

5. Handle should be sturdy, capable of abuse, and be a minimum of 10.5 inches long.

6. It would be nice is the blade were lively, with good balance and not be too tip-heavy.

I have been looking at the Paul Chen Chen Bamboo Stick Katana SH1002. Anyone have experience or impressions of this blade?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks. Bob Goldschmidt.

Hi Bob Goldschmidt,

I’m currently remounting a Paul Chen Bamboo Stick Katana for a friend.
    The blade its self is very nicely made, although the Habaki is glued on for some reason. As with all the Chen blades I’ve seen the tang is signed (inscribed) and numbered. The nagasa is 72 ¼” with a nakago length of 9 ¾”, the mihaba at machi is a slender 1 1/8”. Its tori sori is a slight ½”.

The bamboo cane effect is basically a “shirasaya”, and not really a “sword cane”, the lacquered tsuka in my opinion is a very impractical grip for practice of any kind, especially heavy cutting.

This sword seems to fit most of your requirements, but I’m not sure that the handle was ever designed to be used for cutting.

Oh, there is a nice lady bird catch on the handle to stop the saya from opening accidentally.

Hope this helps
    Jez

What is your budget? Personally, I don't like the Chen Bamboo "stick sword". That release pin can prove faulty.

I would reccomend getting something, if you have your heart set on Chen, a plain shirasaya piece. They have them available. Then the forged Zatoichi, not bad for the price. I handled one at the mall, but did not puchase one for myself personally.

The new forged Paul Chen zatoichi cane sword is a good, less expensive alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by bobgoldschmidt View Post
    Hi All:

I am new to SF (this is my first post), but I am not new to swords and fencing. I am looking for recommendations for a working katana for taking on lengthy deep back woods kayaking and camping trips. The katana should have some specific characteristics:

1. The katana should NOT have a tsuba (guard) ... it makes packing and storage of the blade more difficult in a kayak or backpack. I will strap the katana to the deck strapping or gunwale of my kayak, and a tsuba would get in the way.

2. The blade should be either straight or moderately curved.

3. Blade should be sturdy, and capable of tamagishiri (although that will not be it's primary duty).

4. Blade should NOT be stainless. If possible, blade should be differentially tempered and have a real hamon.

5. Handle should be sturdy, capable of abuse, and be a minimum of 10.5 inches long.

6. It would be nice is the blade were lively, with good balance and not be too tip-heavy.

I have been looking at the Paul Chen Chen Bamboo Stick Katana SH1002. Anyone have experience or impressions of this blade?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks. Bob Goldschmidt.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Thanks for the reply. Budget is anything less than $750.

What if I wrap the tsuka with grip tape or something similar?

Get this. Nothing else will ever come close to what you want......EVER!

http://www.angustrimdirect.com/models/tac/attackat.htm
    I'm lost---- I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

I work for Keyser Söze.

Hi Bob,
    Buy something in shira saya, epoxy the nakago with cord, buy some kydex and make a saya, scabbard, sheath-whatever (if it takes a dive you don't want the wood to swell and come apart-take along time to dry also)

I would suggest something by Michael Tinker Pearce or Angus Trim but you mentioned a hamon-they might have something though. If the hamon is not that important you could get something without it from them without the scabbard and I'm sure they could point you to someone who uses kydex (Angus Trim might use it).

You could also give Rick Barrett a call. I've talked to him about making something similar to what you mentioned earlier, but the price may be a little higher.

Have fun and be safe,
    Jason

edit: looks like D. beat me to it
    Last edited by Jason M D.; 01-23-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: What D said

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    The new forged Paul Chen zatoichi cane sword is a good, less expensive alternative.
    I agree. The folded one looks nice but i'm not sure if it performs any better than a non-folded, as i have never tried a non-folded one. Still the one i have cuts nice, but due to the straight blade an lighter weight, your technique is gonna need some tweeking. Took me a couple tries to get it right.
    Alright! You and your bastages can gamble. But don't try no fargin' trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling!

Trying tameshigiri without a tsuba?

I thought its job was prevent one´s hand slip toward the blade while cutting...

Get a "tactical" sword, it's your only safe bet.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

What is the primary purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT View Post
    What is the primary purpose?
    Primary purposes are brush clearing, defense against critters, and fun. And I agree with the previous poster, that a guard is important for safety reasons and that a tactical sword might be the way to go. At least with a tac katana, the guard is not so obtrustive and does not use so much space.

I believe there are far more appropriate venues for sword fun than kayaking and backpacking.
    As for bushwacking and duelling critters- Are you serious?

Primary purposes are brush clearing, defense against critters, and fun. And I agree with the previous poster, that a guard is important for safety reasons and that a tactical sword might be the way to go. At least with a tac katana, the guard is not so obtrustive and does not use so much space.
    Get a machete. Katana are meant for cutting just one thing: flesh.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

at last a voice of reason unblinded by enthusiasm .
    1) For brush clearing and stuff, you are better off with a machete or something similar.
    2) for general purpose actual sword stuff, Timo's suggestion of a tactical is pretty good.
    3) the whole purpose of the 'stick' sword is usually concelaing the weapon. illegal in most places and a generally bad idea. check the legal issues forum.
    4) unless the latest gen of Chen stick swords is much better, the blade is rather heavy an not well balanced, the fittings are really not designed to stand up to much use.

oh, and welcome to the forum.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem Bastos View Post
    Trying tameshigiri without a tsuba?

I thought its job was prevent one´s hand slip toward the blade while cutting...
    A glutton for punishment, is me!! In actuality, the only way for the hand to run up the blade would be with a stabbing motion and thats not something i do. The worst that would (and has) happened is the sword gets stuck in the tatami when you're first trying it out and your hand slips off, away from the blade. And i've scored the handle (i can't bring myself to call it a proper tsuka) to give a better grip. Of course, you could always put some sort of fabric on it or even sand it down and wrap it with rayskin. and speaking of rayskin, and i've waited a while to say this, I'd like to wrap a tsuka with the bastard ray that got poor Steve Irwin!!

Edit: Now that i think about it, I'm sure Stevie-boy wouldn't want that and had he survived I sincerely doubt he would have blamed the ray as it was just doin' what came natural to it. Occupational hazard, i suppose.
    Last edited by Andrew Thornton; 01-27-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Alright! You and your bastages can gamble. But don't try no fargin' trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling!

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    Get a machete. Katana are meant for cutting just one thing: flesh.
    And tatami...

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hanton View Post
    And tatami...
    Tatami, a.k.a. "flesh simulator"..

How bout this?

The "tsuba" is braided paracord. I didn't like the idea of a slip

It's not too obtrusive and not likely to snag.
    May the Lord bless you to His glory

hey man im with u i would love to take a sword into the woods and hack at w/e i can find but are u really willing to spend 700$$$ on something that u have a very good chance of damaging? c mon now heres a thought go buy a decent 50$ hand made stick sword for one of the many sites out there(i suggest trueswords.com) use that 700$ on a really nice sword to add to your collection. or give the extra cash to me for offering u this great advise . but i guess if u are hell bent on getting an expensive blade i suggest u get something made of spring steel tough stuff and make it through. and let me tell u something very important anything...ANYTHING with a hamon will bend if u are hititing solid targets....such as wood. well what ever u decide on getting hope u have a fun and "safe" trip and i also hope u destroy ur enemy (the "critters") with the skill of a master .
    Last edited by Casey Sutherland; 02-02-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
    Did god create man and everything around him, or did man create god and his enviroment.

When thinking about anything one must keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out

please be aware that "$50 sword" and "safe" do not correlate. this is an educational forum, not a suicidal one.

Casey, you're kinda new here, and I don't mean to sound mean (pun intended ), so here is some friendly advice.
    Please avoid writing "you" as "u", just use proper English overall.
    It's a very small detail, but it's part of the way we try to do things here, so I hope you're not upset by me saying this. (Just friendly advice, don't kill me please )
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 02-03-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

I just see a bad idea get worse. You're asking for trouble - legal and other. You don't need a sword on a kayaking trip. And if you're going to bear country - a katana is stupid as you'll just anger the bear. And 'bad people' aren't going to play fair. Your paddle can be improvised into a spear. A hunting bow would be practical. Something akin to the Cold Steel Bolo Machete and a smaller knife also make sense - a sword doesn't.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have your sensei meet you at an arranged point to do tamagishiri with him driving the swords in and out if this is some "rite of passage" for you?

Jason's Takcat from the image above seems ideal in a fantasy situation where you're fighting zombies.

Is this a glam shot of the same?

Found this:

Speed Stick Katana

Else you're looking at something custom from a master smith like Wally Hayes.