Thread: I'm looking for a particular blade... can you guys help?

I'm looking for a particular blade... can you guys help?

Hi everyone! I already have a quote on a semi custom blade made in china, sent in from the Netherlands, however, I feel like I should ask, just in case.

Does anyone here know of a online shop (for convenience), located in the EU (because of the customs), that could make a katana blade without bo-hi, with 91 cm of length and 32 cm of tang, overall 123cm (my thing...), just the bare blade with habaki? And preferably cheap (that's why it's ok for it to be a blade from an unknown forge. Actually I kinda think I may have heard of the forge somewhere).

I'd like it to be a "home improvement" project, and I need it to come from within the EU, otherwise I cannot have it.

I know this isn't "production swords" per se, but I have been having a conversation with the friendly people at KATANAKO (which are production swords), and they have given me a quote for a blade with the specs I mentioned in 1060 steel DH.

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 01-25-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

This is a Czech smith, he might be able to help you, drop him an e-mail...
    http://www.jswords.com/kontakt-eng.html
    The price for monosteel blades (and he can do a bare blade with habaki) are not too high, but as to nagasa you are lookig for, I'm not sure he would accept the order... Oh, and there is some waiting included... But the result would be very nice and usable...
    You could consider him for the koshirae also, if after you make your own koshirae with cheaper blade you wish to have something of more quality...
    The good thing is, you can pay in installments, as the blade is being made...
    Be patient with the correspondence, the smith doesn't speak English, someone is translating it all for him...
    Good hunting...

Pavel Bolf, right? Actually I like his work a lot! (His site is in my Favorites). But he seem too good, (pricey) for my pocket... I'm thinking along the lines of ZhiSword, but here in the EU.

I'm saving for a nihonto, but after i get it I'm gonna drop ol' Pavel a line and get one of his blades, cuz his stuff looks sweet!!
    Alright! You and your bastages can gamble. But don't try no fargin' trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling!

Hi!, this is my first post but i have to say about Mr. Bolf katanas that they are excellent quality. I have one of his made katana, 034 and all i can say that fit and finish is awesome of his swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari H View Post
    Hi!, this is my first post but i have to say about Mr. Bolf katanas that they are excellent quality. I have one of his made katana, 034 and all i can say that fit and finish is awesome of his swords.
    Can you post some pics and feedback here in the forum about it?

Oh... (where are my manners???)

Welcome to the SFI, Ari!
    The best place to talk, learn and dream about swords, (and related paraphernalia ). We hope you'll like it here.
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 01-27-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Silva View Post
    Can you post some pics and feedback here in the forum about it?

Oh... (where are my manners???)

Welcome to the SFI, Ari!
    The best place to talk, learn and dream about swords, (and related paraphernalia ). We hope you'll like it here.
    I'd like to second this request. Thank you!
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

here´s the pictures of my katana.

Ari H

Oh wow, that is gorgeous!!!

But tell me, why does the hamon end before the habaki??

He really is very talented. It's amazing that he doesn't charge more for his work! You're a very lucky guy Ari

But it does seem like it ends before the habaki, (some might even think it's a fatal flaw), and it runs kinda thin on the yokote area, particularly on the beggining of the kissaki.

Anyway it is an amazing sword. It doesn't seem like you cut with it... What can you tell us about that?
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 01-28-2008 at 09:12 AM.

No i dont cut with these swords, i only collect them, but there are at Mr.Bolfs web page wery good explanation of proportions of blades, where can find answer of those questions.

...and it runs kinda thin on the yokote area, particularly on the beggining of the kissaki.
    I think that's just due to the reflection of the lamp. If you look more closely, the hamon is actually pretty nice and wide throughout the kissaki area with big, healthy boshi....

But I have also heard from a good source that hamon ending before habaki is a pretty serious flaw.... could someone more knowledgeable comment on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin P. View Post
    But I have also heard from a good source that hamon ending before habaki is a pretty serious flaw.... could someone more knowledgeable comment on this?
    It's called yaki-otoshi; it means hamon that "runs out" before hamachi. It is considered a flaw when it is a by-product of re-tempering a blade (sai-ha); in those cases activity in the hamon is rare. From what I understand some nihonto-smiths did this on purpose.

From http://www.samuraisword.com/nihontod...naga/index.htm
    Yaki-otoshi is seen in early Japanese swords such as Yasutsuna, Ko-Bizen and Kyushu swords occasionally, therefore they should not be mistaken for sai-ha (re-tempered swords).
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

The hamon ending before the habaki is not a flaw.
    -Karl
    www.karljunitz.com
    Have a look around.....

Then it's confirmed: Mr. Bolf is a very good swordsmith!
    And I totally understand you don't cut with it Ari. I wouldn't risk hurting the polish on something like that. What else is on your collection?

Does anybody know what he charges for a monosteel blade? I've wanted one of his swords ever since I saw them. I will (hopefully) be in the market for a good practice shinken soon. I've been looking at the price of picking up a production swords and mounting it in a similiar fashion, but if I can get the real thing within my price range...

Oh, and about the hamon thing, think about it. The reason for a hamon is to have hardened steel on the cutting surface. There is no advantage in having it anywhere else and at least one advantage in NOT having it...the metal is less brittle and thus less likely to crack. So unless you cut with it that close to the habaki, there is no real need.

From the price of the sword he has put for sale, (it appears to be monosteel), it's about 1500€, or 1800$ (if my conversion is right).

You can always PM Ari, and ask him how much did it cost.

Coming back to my original question, can anyone help me find a particular blade.

3 shaku/36''/91cm nagasa;
    32cm/12.5'' tsuka;
    Either through hardened or DH in gunome notare, form 1060 to 1095 steel;
    Absolutely no hi;
    Shipped to me from within the EU;

Everything else is irrelevant, (as I originally wanted to make all the non metal fittings by myself), but if it had a black silver motif, (black gloss saya/black tsuka ito, cotton or silk/silver seppa and habaki, plain black fuchi-kashira, iron/or just a black tsuba), it would be great.

I have a quote for 357€ (excluding shipping) from Katanako for a blade with those specs (1060 DH, except for a copper/brass seppa/habaki). The sword is from a Chinese forge, their website is http://www.chenglongsword.com

It still seems a bit pricey for a shot in the dark (we know Chinese sword makers' swords vary wildly in quality, even within the same forge), but it seems as that's probably as cheap as it'll get. I asked Mr.Yoshihiro Hitomi form Budoya how much a iaito like that would cost, and it's about 1400€. (I'd ask Mr. Bolf to make one for me if I had that much money to spend on a sword )

Can I be helped?

Coming back to my original question, can anyone help me find a particular blade.

3 shaku/36''/91cm nagasa;
    32cm/12.5'' tsuka;
    Either through hardened or DH in gunome notare, form 1060 to 1095 steel;
    Absolutely no hi;
    Shipped to me from within the EU;

Everything else is irrelevant, (as I originally wanted to make all the non metal fittings by myself), but if it had a black silver motif, (black gloss saya/black tsuka ito, cotton or silk/silver seppa and habaki, plain black fuchi-kashira, iron/or just a black tsuba), it would be great.

I have a quote for 357€ (excluding shipping) from Katanako for a blade with those specs (1060 DH, except for a copper/brass seppa/habaki). The sword is from a Chinese forge, their website is http://www.chenglongsword.com

It still seems a bit pricey for a shot in the dark (we know Chinese sword makers' swords vary wildly in quality, even within the same forge), but it seems as that's probably as cheap as it'll get. I asked Mr.Yoshihiro Hitomi form Budoya how much a iaito like that would cost, and it's about 1400€. (I'd ask Mr. Bolf to make one for me if I had that much money to spend on a sword )

Can I be helped?
    Does Chenglong ship from within EU?

ZhiSwords probably costs about the same, maybe less, especially if you get the sword in shirasaya or in bottom-of-the-barrel koshirae (which is what Chenglong uses based on a quick view). The problem is, they ship from China.. do you have a problem with customs?

Tengu import the swords from their Chinese forge (AFAIK), so you might ask them. They don't sell swords in shirasaya, though.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Chenglong doesn't ship from the EU, but Katanako, their reseller, does, (they are based in the Netherlands), and they have agreed to ship it first from China to them, and then from the Netherlands to Portugal.

ZhiSword has that problem of the customs. If there was only a way to get it in the EU and then to me...

The fees (from outside of the EU items) are typically high, occult, and they sometimes get picky with swords.

Again, the koshirae isn't really relevant. I will update it. Sooner if it has issues.

Well, you could give Tengu a shot.. couldn't hurt to ask
    acosta.rufino@gmail.com

From "the best production katana" thread, right?
    The timeseller.com
    Ok, I'll give it a try! (Thanks Timo!)

I'll PM him first.
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 01-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.

From "the best production katana" thread, right?
    The timeseller.com
    Ok, I'll give it a try! (Thanks Timo!)

I'll PM him first.
    From what I gather he doesn't come to SFI much (I think his previous post was from 2006 )..

Oh... then I'll send a copy of the PM to his email. (thanks for heads up Timo )
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 01-30-2008 at 11:10 AM.

By the way... In case anyone likes these things, I'll link to chenglongsword's demonstration movie.

http://www.chenglongsword.com/news.asp?id=47