Thread: Bronze sword of ancient China

Bronze sword of ancient China

Here's a repro of bronze sword of ancient China. The original antique one is in Taiwan. How do you like it?

Its my understanding that the originals were made by a double casting technique. I wounder if these moredn ones are made tha same way or if modern liberties are taken?

Tom,
    Do you know how these are manufactured?
    Do you have a close-up photo of the blade?

Ric
    Richard Furrer
    Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
    http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/

is this replica scaled down? It looks incredibly short to me.... or it has an extremely wide blade.

Looks like a stubby version of the sword of Guojian.

Foudn a sword that looks exactly like it:

http://www.orientalgiftcenter.com/or...ordhistory.htm

At the bottom of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Furrer View Post
    Its my understanding that the originals were made by a double casting technique. I wounder if these moredn ones are made tha same way or if modern liberties are taken?

Tom,
    Do you know how these are manufactured?
    Do you have a close-up photo of the blade?

Ric
    By double casting, do you mean the final sword was casted two times? For this model, no. The model shown below is casted two times: first, the core (ridge in different colour), and then a second casting of the complete sword with the core.

About the production of bronze swords, first sand casting, then some chemical process and lot of hand work. Yes, modern liberties. I like this term of yours.

For the first sword, the gold patterns are made of gold-inlaid. For the second, the Chinese scripts are also made of gold-inlaid.

I'm going to show these bronze swords in an exhibition held in Hong Kong starting from tomorrow till this Saturday.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by KeRen, W. View Post
    is this replica scaled down? It looks incredibly short to me.... or it has an extremely wide blade.
    It is based on the actual size of the original artifact, which is kept by a collector in Taiwan. The original artifact is an item dated back to the Warring States Period of ancient China (475 - 221 B.C.)

Bronze swords of ancient China

Quote Originally Posted by F.Zara View Post
    Looks like a stubby version of the sword of Guojian.
    The Sword of Goujian and this Geometric-Pattern Sword with Gold-Inlaid made artifacts of different period. The first one is made in late Spring and Autumn Period, while the second one is made in the Warring States Period. Their sizes, patterns and scripts are different.

Attached below a photo of Sword of King Goujian for your easy reference.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Zara View Post
    Foudn a sword that looks exactly like it:

http://www.orientalgiftcenter.com/or...ordhistory.htm

At the bottom of the page.
    Yes, the one showing in that page is also based on the original artifact, but it is just a mini-sized one that serves as a letter opener, while the one I shown here is reproduced in the actual size.

Sword of King Goujian

Here is the real Sword of King Goujian which is kept in the Museum of Hubei Province.

And photo of a reproduction:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wong View Post
    The Sword of Goujian and this Geometric-Pattern Sword with Gold-Inlaid made artifacts of different period. The first one is made in late Spring and Autumn Period, while the second one is made in the Warring States Period. Their sizes, patterns and scripts are different.

Attached below a photo of Sword of King Goujian for your easy reference.