Thread: Advice Hanwei Vs Dynasty

Smile Advice Hanwei Vs Dynasty

Hello, This is my first post on this forum, and like many others that have come before I seek guidance and advice. I practice Iaido and Recently purchased a Tsuru Iaito from Paul Chen. However I am thinking of buying a Live blade. I want a blade that is attractive, Defined but also very good at the practical side, both for Iaido and Test cutting. A few swords have caught my eye.
    Namely from Paul Chen - the Oni, the Praying Mantis, or one of the Tiger Blades. I have also been looking at diffrent posts on this great forum and have also been drawn into the Dynasty forge katana's. The blades on these things look amazing, especially on the Daimyo line of blades. I live in the UK and Paul Chen katana's are easily available here, but from my little knoledge the Dynasty Forge swords are harder to come by and come with a huge price tag. I was thinking of a blade in the £1000 - £1200 range and was wondering if anyone can help me compare the Paul Chen blades vs Dynasty Forge. The only thing that gets me down about the PB katanas, is most are just a plain black saya, Ito. I know that this could easily be fixed though. also I am 5' 10" so 2.5 Shaku is probably right for me but I am deffinatley a fan of the bigger swords, and I also like the longer Tsuka wether it be 13" - 15" like I said, any advice would help a great deal. Thanks for the help

Welcome Shaun! Welcome to the SFI!

Jumping right into it, I can only say that you should check if there are any reviews here on the SFI of the models you want to compare.

I don't know if you can ship swords into the UK from the EU (because of the recent sword ban), but you might want to look around some European shops that might make the prices more manageable.

There are also many UK members that have extensive collections. Just keep an eye open to any of their posts, and feel free to ask any questions.
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 02-02-2008 at 04:52 AM.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

With that kinda money I'd look into Bugei, I hear especially the Dragonfly is a quite light blade (suitable for iai too). The only problem is that it might take too long to get the sword and might be subject to the sword ban you have coming up.

Hanwei Oni and Mantis are so new that there are no reviews around yet, but if Paul Chen has nailed the L6 Bainite HT, those should be more than suitable for cutting. Don't know about iai, Oni doesn't have any hi IIRC but Mantis does. Here is a slideshow with best pics of the Mantis I've seen so far:
    http://www.samurai-sword-shop.com/sl...slideshow.html
    Mantis specs:
    Blade length: 76,5 cm
    Tsuka length: 28,5 cm
    Moto-Haba : 3,7 cm
    Kasane : 5 mm
    Weight : 1300gr.
    POB : 13,5 cm
    Note that Praying Mantis is shobu zukuri, so it's blade is a bit different from your other options

For comparison some pics of the PC Tiger you mentioned:
    http://www.samurai-sword-shop.com/pa...ger-katana.htm
    Tiger specs:
    Blade length: 78 cm
    Tsuka length: 34,5cm
    Kissaki : 3 cm
    Moto-Haba : 3,3cm
    Kasane : 7 mm
    Weight : 1225gr.
    POB : 10 cm

I can't find Oni specs or pics right now, I'll get back to you on that if I do. I do think it looks very elegant, while the other two Hanwei you've checked out are more showy (too much so for my taste).

Dynasty's webstore seems closed right now, some update going on, and I haven't seen or used one so no comments there.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

HI Shaun

Another Limey on the Boards

I am on the North East coast - where abouts are you at?

There's a 29.5 " / 14" tsuka Bugei bamboo in the classifieds right here - ideal for what you need and at only £600 GB you could buy
    a nice custom Iaito with the change

also if you want something a bit lighter the new tiger elite might be right up your street - thats available over here custom katana uk
    and oriental weaponry , barrington swords etc .
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Dynasty's webstore seems closed right now, some update going on, and I haven't seen or used one so no comments there.
    It's back up now, and with some pretty nice changes. Listings aren't complete yet.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    It's back up now, and with some pretty nice changes. Listings aren't complete yet.
    So far there is a pic of the upcoming shobu zukuri, though the one previously posted on SFI is nicer. Hopefully they will have a pic of the o-kissaki when the listings are up and running, or at least a conceptual.
    Alright! You and your bastages can gamble. But don't try no fargin' trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling!

Hello everyone. I had the same problem about getting the Tamahagane Katana from Dynasty forge or the Oni Katana from PC. From what I heard the Dynasty Katana's are a hit and miss with the fittings and Saya, plus to me the L6 seems more of a promising blade. I now own the Oni Katana and I love it. I also use it for Iaido even though it's not really for Iaido but it's always good to train with diffrent size blade just to know to wield a heavy blade one day and a light one on another.
    The only problem I have with it is the polishing. It needs a better polishing job it kind of has this crystal look when you shine the light on an angle, Besides that it is very nice and despite it's size it not to heavy. I owned the Tiger Katana that one was nice very light and quick for draws but to small of a blade for me, but it had a nice polishing to it. Compared to the Tiger the Oni has a better quality fittings and nicer looking. Or you can go with the Samurai Katana from Bugei that one personally I think is the most bad ass of all. It is true though the wait is really long.

Quote Originally Posted by J-M. Watier View Post
    Hello everyone. I had the same problem about getting the Tamahagane Katana from Dynasty forge or the Oni Katana from PC. From what I heard the Dynasty Katana's are a hit and miss with the fittings and Saya, plus to me the L6 seems more of a promising blade. I now own the Oni Katana and I love it. I also use it for Iaido even though it's not really for Iaido but it's always good to train with diffrent size blade just to know to wield a heavy blade one day and a light one on another.
    The only problem I have with it is the polishing. It needs a better polishing job it kind of has this crystal look when you shine the light on an angle, Besides that it is very nice and despite it's size it not to heavy. I owned the Tiger Katana that one was nice very light and quick for draws but to small of a blade for me, but it had a nice polishing to it. Compared to the Tiger the Oni has a better quality fittings and nicer looking. Or you can go with the Samurai Katana from Bugei that one personally I think is the most bad ass of all. It is true though the wait is really long.
    Does your Oni have a yokote or is the kissaki less defined(polish-wise) like a shobu? I held one at the NVA swordfest that was pre-production and shinogi sukuri with a definite geometry change but every one I've seen since has been shobu-esque. It's the whole reason why I never bought one.

BTW, regarding the wait for a Bugei Samurai, Rob has a like-new one in the SFI Classifieds right now for the give-away price of $950...$300 less than direct from Bugei and with less-expensive shipping, too.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

J-M, could you post a review with pictures of the Oni to a new thread? I think many would be interested, since you're the first on SFI that has one (I think).

Bugei Samurai on Classifieds (although with 'only' 11" tsuka):
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=86165

Bugei Bamboo on eBay (14" tsuka):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Bugei-Bamboo-Kat...QQcmdZViewItem
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

At the moment I am working on taking the pictures. I will probably be able to upload them tomorrow. As for the kissaki, it is a chu kissaki. The yokote's polishing is very light, therefore it cannot be appreciated as well in a picture. The blade is the typical Jindachi-Zukuri style. The hamon is the Notare style, and it is less visible toward the tip of the blade. The seppas and the habaki are brass. With a better polishing the hada would be more noticeable. The sori is shallow. It is pretty easy to handle for its size. I think that the long tsuka helps with the counter weight when drawing the sword. Regarding the saya, I truly love its kurigata, which has an oni figure displayed. Please let me know if you have any more questions, for I will gladly answer them.

Wellcome!

I'm also new in here, but have been reading for a long time.

You will learn a lot here at SFI.

I am also from the North east, Originally from Northumberland, but now I live in Chester le street.
    Thanks so much for all the help, the pictures I have viewed for the mantis are fantastic, but also so are the pictures for the Tiger, I do prefer the tiger with the longer tsuka, but I think its gonna be a coin toss between the two!

Thanks again, Ill read up on the Dynasty blades.