Thread: Help me identify the sword in this video

Help me identify the sword in this video

Hi! I'm new here, I am experienced in other types of swords like Chinese Jian, Dao and CSA but completely new to the Katana and JSA.

Can you help me identify the sword in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JVsGtQhTqko

In the comments the owner of the sword says it is cost her about $200 and is differentially hardened (unusual for the price).

I really like the fittings on that particular sword. If someone can id it please let me know. I would love to purchase a blade like this.

Thanks,

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by C. Dayton View Post
    Hi! I'm new here, I am experienced in other types of swords like Chinese Jian, Dao and CSA but completely new to the Katana and JSA.

Can you help me identify the sword in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JVsGtQhTqko

In the comments the owner of the sword says it is cost her about $200 and is differentially hardened (unusual for the price).

I really like the fittings on that particular sword. If someone can id it please let me know. I would love to purchase a blade like this.

Thanks,

Charlie
    I don't think 95% of the katana buying public could tell you if a blade was differentially hardened or not. Some people just believe any katana is, though the vast majority isn't because they are through hardened (or not hardened at all) chinese blades. However many advertise their blades as differentially hardened when they aren't.

Differential hardening isn't impossible at that price. The Paul Chen practical katana usually sells for around $150 to $180.

More than likely it's a cheness katana though.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Welcome Dayton.

I completely agree with everything that Aaron said, except I think (from the tsuba and especially the red ito) it might be a Masahiro Fuji Elite. But without seeing the blade up close, and the picture not being clear enough, I can't be sure. (if it is that one, then it's not through hardened, I think)
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 02-03-2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

It looks like this sword

http://www.chenessinc.com/kaze.htm
    "When I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me..."

The tsuba isn't sukashi, (and reminds me of the one on the Masahiro), so she would have to have changed it. And it seems (to me) redish rather then brown, (or maybe I'm just color blind )

I think the blade might not be differentially hardened.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

could be this one too

http://oniforge.com/0201.html
    "When I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me..."

I checked the comments and she said the following

My katana is a functional razor sharp practice blade hand forged is only worth like 200 or so can get it on eBay or advertised on black belt magazine, which I do subscribe to. The edge is harder than the back. Good flexibility. It does come apart traditional style all metal and wood and ray skin. That is how it came but since. I had it shorten appropriate to my height. It lost about two inches. Also the handle traditional cord was removed and in its place Italian leather wrap.
    So the ito wrap is custom. I definitely think this must be a monosteel sword with an etched hammon, but what calls my attention is the tsbuba and fittings.

I love that tsuba style.
    Last edited by C. Dayton; 02-03-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Looks like she has another video of her cutting stuff to pieces. Check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=58Q0sHhSOc0&feature=user
    Alright! You and your bastages can gamble. But don't try no fargin' trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thornton View Post

Okay, she managed to cut that thick piece of wood with such incorrect form, that's pretty amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thornton View Post

Aw, a girl playing baseball with a chinatana, ain't that cute..
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

In one of her videos she butchers a watermelon in her kitchen... and eventually whacks the plate that it's resting on... big surprise there.

I just hope she doesn't end up hurting herself or someone standing nearby when she has an accident while showing off. Giving herself a "cool" anime name is one thing... but people really need to understand that these are not toys.
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KeRen, W. View Post
    Okay, she managed to cut that thick piece of wood with such incorrect form, that's pretty amazing

actually it really is quite impressive some of the cuts she makes with that bad form. She has a lot of time on her hands methinks. Hours of playing with a katana and cutting things. She might put quite a few men to shame if she had actually gone to a dojo and learned correctly.

I just hope the flying blade doesn't impale the person holding the camera when eventually either the tsuka fails or the blade snaps at the habaki..
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

It amazes me that people can tell what type of heat treat or hardening process a blades been through by watching a video

truly
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    It amazes me that people can tell what type of heat treat or hardening process a blades been through by watching a video
    Indeed. the only thing i could tell from watching this video is that its really stupid to do cuttings inside with such unadvanced level of technique.

Edit to add: to clarify, imho its just plain stupid to do cutting in your kitchen no matter how good you might think you are.