Thread: gold inlaid inscription

gold inlaid inscription

hello this is nice gold or maybe brass inlaid inscription in wootz blade.
    Can anybody translate it? Please.... I got this sword few weeks ago and still is a bit mystery for me ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Damian J. View Post
    hello this is nice gold or maybe brass inlaid inscription in wootz blade.
    Can anybody translate it? Please.... I got this sword few weeks ago and still is a bit mystery for me ....
    Looks to be a fine Persian gold inlaid inscription, my guess is that it will be alligned with someone in the early 18th century......

rand

Al Soltan Nassereldin Shah
    Amal-e Nazar Ali

Could you post the whole sword please?

Regards
    Manouchehr
    Last edited by Manouchehr M.; 12-28-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Al Soltan Nasserelding Shah
    Amal-e Nazar Ali

Could you post the whole sword please?

Regards
    Manouchehr
    i will asap-need to take more pictures

[QUOTE=Manouchehr M.;1053949]Al Soltan Nasserelding Shah
    Amal-e Nazar Ali

Dear Manouchehr can you say anything more about this translation ???

[QUOTE=Damian J.;1053956]
    Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Al Soltan Nasserelding Shah
    Amal-e Nazar Ali

Dear Manouchehr can you say anything more about this translation ???
    I need to see the whole sword first please. Al Soltan Nassereldin Shah means "The ruler King Nassereldin" and "The work of Nazar Ali"

It is really interesting. During Nassereldin Shah Qajar period, Iranian military had European style military swords. I published some pictures in one of my recent articles. We know that during the Qajar period they added cartouches to older blades. Look at the blade. Are there any signs of wiped off cartouches on the blade? What type of pattern does it have?

Kind regards
    Manouchehr

[QUOTE=Manouchehr M.;1053968]
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian J. View Post

I need to see the whole sword first please. Al Soltan Nassereldin Shah means "The ruler King Nassereldin" and "The work of Nazar Ali"

It is really interesting. During Nassereldin Shah Qajar period, Iranian military had European style military swords. I published some pictures in one of my recent articles. We know that during the Qajar period they added cartouches to older blades. Look at the blade. Are there any signs of wiped off cartouches on the blade? What type of pattern does it have?

Kind regards
    Manouchehr
    I can find no work of Nazar Ali published and its always a plus to acclumulate signatures of swordsmiths. Shah Naser o-Din Shah ruled from 1848-1896, so we can place this smith's signature durng that time period, keeping in mind what Manoucher states of smith's signing earlier blades as a possibility especially during the Qajar period. This seems a during the reign type of cartouche as it does not have the style of a royal cartouche.

rand