Thread: Polishing stones

Polishing stones

Which polishing stone is the best to bring out the Hada and the Hamon. I'm not sure if you've seen the Oni Katana from PC but the Polishing is not is not very nice, so I wanted to try make it look nicer. Can someone please help me with that.
    Thank you

you will find all awnsers below.
    http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/togi,process.html
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by J-M. Watier View Post
    Which polishing stone is the best to bring out the Hada and the Hamon. I'm not sure if you've seen the Oni Katana from PC but the Polishing is not is not very nice, so I wanted to try make it look nicer. Can someone please help me with that.
    Thank you
    Please don't take my comment the wrong way, as discouraging someone is the last thing I would want to do, but please don't purchase a stone with the intent to improve the appearance of a blade you have, it will most certainly come to grief. First, if my memory serves, the oni is an L6 mono steel blade, therefore it has no jihada to bring out, so there's no need to worry about that. Second, keep in mind that blades made from some modern steels like the L6 bainite blades will not respond to stones and other more traditional techniques in the same fashion as a blade made in a more traditional way. Lastly, a decent uchigumori stone(aside from being a precious non-renewable resource) could easily cost as much or more than the blade in question, which is really beside the point, as a one stone approach to polishing simply won't work for a number of reasons, the above link should answer a number of them. If you're not happy with the finish on your blade I would suggest having it repolished by someone who is familiar with the work. Please though, don't put it on a stone, you may find the quote for restoring to be considerably more than for repolishing.

Quote Originally Posted by J-M. Watier View Post
    Thank you
    I ditto everything Chris said. The Oni blade has almost the appearance of folded steel, but it's not. It's a natural layering in the steel grain called "alloy banding" which gives it that appearance. As mentioned, the blade is L6, and it doesn't respond well to stones as far as activity goes.

I was actually a little disappointed myself when I first handled the Oni. I love the koshirae and the mounts, but the blade looked like a PPK when it comes to the polish. I think the Hanwei smiths should have done a few more prototypes and some better feedback before releasing them.

Your best bet (if you can find someone or brave it yourself) would be a hybrid polish. It's a production sword after all, and hybrid polishes cost considerably less than stones will. I tried to polish an L6 piece a while ago. I have NO idea why, but the previous owner buffed a VERY bad fake hamon on the edge that I couldn't polish out. L6 is a tough little bastard, even really low grit sandpaper was refusing to bite. I got out a lot of it, but then I decided to sell it as a project blade at a loss because there really wasn't anything I could do... the etching did show a fairly well defined habuchi, but it was faint compared to 10xx class steels.

Again, in experienced hands L6 can look great, but it takes a fairly good knowledge of the steel makeup itself to understand how to approach it.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost