Thread: Mekugi trouble

Mekugi trouble

Man, I just can't find any high quality mekugi to fit my tsuka. I tried getting some from mr. crampton (great guy) over at shadow of leaves and, though they are certainly strong and well made, they are just too darn small for ANY of my ana! The larger end isn't completely round and there are sizeable gaps between the pegs and the edge of the ana. I did find some factory Hanwei mekugi on ebay and they fit perfectly, however they are very pale in color and seem rather soft. Short of making them myself (LAZY!), anyone got any ideas on how I can make this problem go away!

I had the same problem, so I brought Bamboo from Japan and made rods from it 7mm diameter and 20 cm in length.
    all treated and ready to be shaped to the final mekugi.
    This bamboo is very tough.
    A longer rod is easyer to shape then a small peg.
    I still have a few rods left, pm me if you need some.

Last edited by Ruud B; 02-06-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

a very kind gesture Ruud

Well done mate

I get a lot of satisfaction from making mekugi - I am scrounging delrin nylon at the minute to try that but for the new tsuka Skips making me at present I am going with the gold Niji mekugi/menuki from Mike Crampton - for the bling
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    Well done mate

I get a lot of satisfaction from making mekugi - I am scrounging delrin nylon at the minute to try that but for the new tsuka Skips making me at present I am going with the gold Niji mekugi/menuki from Mike Crampton - for the bling
    You mean like these?

Mike has a huge tub of those mekugi and they are all slightly different sizes. They have always been plenty big enough for any sword I've owned but if you need a particularly large size, I'd just ask him to pick out some big ones. They are not 100% perfectly symmetrical because you are supposed to file or sand them to fit. I always rotate them to and fro during installation to find how they want to seat themselves deepest, adjust with file/sandpaper, mekuginuki(used as a verb) them the rest of the way in to seat them, then file off the excess on each side.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

aye dems da fellers

Nice one Jerry

these are the ones in question - I am glad to know mike has different sizes as I was wondering about countersunking the mekugi ana to get them to seat correctly - I just hope the threads long enough to use on a katana tsuka ( slim one for my girly girl hands ) mounted dashizame style - ray skin wrap - no ito maki .

also I'll have some standard menuki on there along with these - mounted gyaku te of course
    to create a tachi style tsuka .
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

I should learn to read more carefully!

pm'd you, Rudd...disregard my redundant questions regarding dimensions

http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/cgi-bi...?cate=14&no=35

If that's too small for ya then you're fitting them on a cannon!
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    Nice one Jerry

these are the ones in question - I am glad to know mike has different sizes as I was wondering about countersunking the mekugi ana to get them to seat correctly - I just hope the threads long enough to use on a katana tsuka ( slim one for my girly girl hands ) mounted dashizame style - ray skin wrap - no ito maki .

also I'll have some standard menuki on there along with these - mounted gyaku te of course
    to create a tachi style tsuka .
    Ooops! Sorry for injecting the confusion. My comment about the tub of different sizes referred to bamboo mekugi. To my knowledge, the neji menuki are one-size-fits-all. The threaded portion of the neji is decently long, though, and snugs up very well against the same'. Also, the core in the picture is fairly large for a tanto...considerably more so than the metal POS that came on the Bushido tanto so you'll probably be just fine. The size of the neji's "female" threaded recepticle is comparable to a regular mekugi so it's not like you'll have to hog the ana out very much to accommodate it.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

just barely...

Timo, I think if I angle that chunk juuuust right...maybe I can wedge it in the barrel here...
    No, but hopefully Mr. Rudd's rods (haha) will solve my dilema.

Bowie, Maryland but consider my self a citizen of the world.

Fyi

Hi All Guys & Gals,

The mekugi that I sell I have found fit 99% of the katana out there but not all. I have in fact seen tsuka (over the years) that have absolutely enormous ana (beleive it or not) up to 1/4" in dia. As I understand it the more wealthy samurai would have mekugi custom made from horn either antler bone or buffalo. The bone mekugi are of course very hard and similar to ivory (also used) and buffalo horn is a bit more fiberous like bamboo. Ebony can also be used but of course all of the above require a great deal of work to obtain a proper fit. Mike, I happen to have a number of Delrin scales (from the old days when I was a knife maker) that I will let go for cheap. Contact me on the home email mscrampton@msn.com.

Best as Always,

Mike
    'Shisei"
    Sincerity must begin with attitude, then it will flow naturally into your words and deeds.

Sensei Miura Hanshi