See I prefer a katana with the following specs:
    handle is 11 inches or less
    blade is around 27~28 inches
    No Bohi if possible
    a case & maintenance kit.
    SHARP
    real fittings at least with real same and real silk(or cotton) wrapping
    swordcase

see, i get problems even with the ryumon and paul chen. I don't want a bo-hi for ryumon and I don't want a fake rayskin for paul chen. I mean, the ryumon would be PERFECT if it didn't have the bo-hi and had a slightly better polish considering it's sharpness that matches the one's with paul chen,
    Can someone help me? or at least find me a way to get myself a ryumon katana without a bohi with in my budget?

SFI classifieds

$250 will buy you a better katana than any of those you listed
    ok it'll be second hand - but ive seen cold steel warrior katana
    PPk's and decent kris cutlery kats sell for the $250 mark .

please get something better than a ryumon - the new PK elite may have fake ray skin but its a few clicks above the ryumon you mentioned .
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    $250 will buy you a better katana than any of those you listed
    ok it'll be second hand - but ive seen cold steel warrior katana
    PPk's and decent kris cutlery kats sell for the $250 mark .

please get something better than a ryumon - the new PK elite may have fake ray skin but its a few clicks above the ryumon you mentioned .
    also after looking at the 3 ebay swords I must ask you not to waste your money on any of them - I dont mean to cause you more problems - just trying to help prevent you wasting your money - I could say buy some books and study up on what makes a good sword - thats an option but if you want something to use straight away I seriously advise against any of the ebay swords - out of the four listed the ryumon is the best - I certainly wont trust any of the others to cut with.

But thats still low end - hang around the classifieds - a PPK ,
    last legend mark 1 ,or one of the KC 26 or 29's will turn up on there usually on a weekly basis .

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Practical XL, if these are your choices. SwordsOfMight has Practical Elite for the same price as XL at the moment, too. But I second Mick's post, keep an eye on the Classifieds.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

ryumon

i still hear really good stuff about the ryumon dragon and the last legend katanas......................I don't think I can afford the last legend katanas..............any way out?

differently hardened

yeah. I prefer a real hamon too....

From what you've posted so far i'd have to say no ebay swords for one, and that paul chen would be your best bet, either save a little more and get the practical plus elite to get the real ray skin and what i consider better fittings and a substantially better tsuka ito

or buy the classic practical plus

no bohi
    clay tempered
    real same

and for the most part in your price range.

good call Ed

I would take the PPK elite above any ryumon sword -

all these extras like certiificates, DVD's and display boxes are a
    waste IMO - who needs a certificate stamped by the factory supervisor anyway - all it proves is the sword is one of thousands
    - kinda spoils the romance of the katana doesnt it

I'm pretty new to buying swords myself but I found that Cheness Cutlery (http://www.chenessinc.com) makes some pretty nice low-budget swords. I bought the Tenchi for about $280 (one of their more pricey swords) and my instructor was amazed that it cost less than $500.

They are pretty simple and don't have alot of intricate details which is the reason for the lower cost but they are forged and seem to be pretty good.

cheness has a really bad rep for bad quality control... i'v enever handled one, been scared to spend the money just given the tsuka issues, not that that issue is necessarily specific to cheness. i never liked the fittings though either everything about the mounting on cheness seemed iffy and cheap to me, cheaper than i woudl want in something i'll be swinging around. i have an oni forge and i love it, they're having a big sale right now, i think they're going out of business but you might be able to pick up something there.

A few quick notes. Cheness, with all the known issues, is still more reliable than Ryumon in my book (better the devil you know and so on), and Oni Forge has had some serious lapse in QC as of late.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

my oni forge is older so i woudlnt know they seem to have nearly fallen off the map, i know its almost impossible to get a hold of loren for anythign which always made me not wanna to buy from them, but yes i woudl take a cheness over ryumon, ryumon looks a lil nicer but i wouldn't trust them, i think i would take certain masahiro over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    A few quick notes. Cheness, with all the known issues, is still more reliable than Ryumon in my book (better the devil you know and so on), and Oni Forge has had some serious lapse in QC as of late.
    I have had Ryumon and Cheness. I would say Ryumon is worlds beyond Cheness.
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

classic PPK

well Ive just picked up a PPK from here on the classifieds and let me tell you - it handles better and feels more natural in the hand
    than some of the swords ive spent $600 and another $400 on fittings , new tsuka etc .

I really like my PPK and I'll be spending a few bucks on it in the future - man I wish I would have bought one sooner I could have saved 3 years and a ton of money .

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    well Ive just picked up a PPK from here on the classifieds and let me tell you - it handles better and feels more natural in the hand
    than some of the swords ive spent $600 and another $400 on fittings , new tsuka etc .Mick
    I actually had 2 classic PPK. I loved how it would "flow" when being swung around. Cut decent too. I just did not like the blade shape. It is very thin. I like big meaty blades like the Tsunami (Great Wave) and the Bugei Bamboo I had. That was a great blade.
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

kaze?

would you guys recommend the cheness kaze?

Personally i think i would recomend a oni forge or any of the practical katanas over the kaze, or you might want to buy the kaze and hve it remounted and possibly get a new tsuka core carved for it but given the price of hte kaze that prolly isn't worth it, it'd prolly cost more than the sword itself