Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilkinson Swords Sold To Named Retailer/Outfitters

Hi Robert,
    Further to your details of "LIST FROM NEW RESEARCH OF WILKINSON SWORD BLADE ETCHERS:-"

The etcher Rowe also embossed 9552 (9th Feb 1859) and 18865 (22nd March 1873).

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

Rowe's quality embossing..

Hi All,

Here is an example of Rowe's quality embossing from Wilkinson 18865:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
    Hi All,

Here is an example of Rowe's quality embossing from Wilkinson 18865:
    Interesting crest and motto. Do you have any information on the original owner?
    Cheers,
    Mike

Hi Mike,
    Some info I posted on the Old Sword database:-

A medium Victorian Royal Artillery Officer's sword, completed with a three bar steel hilt. Blade engraved with the Royal Arms, Ubique motto and VR, Winged Lightning, and Royal Artillery markings, together with the original owner's heraldic crest and motto, plus the maker's name: Henry Wilkinson, Pall Mall, London, with the back edge numbered 18865, the blade was finished by the skilled etcher ROWE on the 22nd March 1873. The spear-point tip has been period re-sharpened consistent with use as owned by the second Anglo-Boer War veteran Col. R.F. Johnson, CB, CMG, RA (MID; Lord Roberts 04 Sept 1901, Queens South Africa Medal c/w three clasps).

The correct heraldic brief is: On a ducal coronet Or, an eagle, wings expanded Sable. Motto: Vigilans
    The original grantee was the High Sheriff of Co. Worcester, domiciled at Bricklehampton Hall.
    Regards
    Bryan

I have a ledger which lists (most I think) of Wilkinson presentation swords (recipients) which I can check BUT NO GUARANTEE it was entered in the ledger.
    It does include RMA and RMC prize swords Canadian MC Prize Swords and presentation swords for Volunteers, by Queen Victoria and the Foreign Office to Empire persons and also the Great and the Good!
    Unfortunately it is just the name of the recipient and there is no other details such as sword number. In most cases there is a date (Year only)- Thre are (if survived) blade rubbings of these presentation swords.
    For example
    Major Gonville Bromhead - 25th June 1880
    Major J.F. Holliday 4th April 1854
    Capt d'Etat Major B. Renard 1867

and so on

Good Evening All.

I have a Naval Officers 1827 Pattern sword with a slightly curved blade and solid hilt with the original etching which indicates supply by Eames and Co, Portsea.

I am aware of the unfortunate history of Eames and Co. (Joseph Gattu Eames) who had a substantial outfitters at 49 High Street, Portsea. George Secunda Lake (possibly his bookeeper) married his daughter and then was appointed as a partner in the business. It would appear that George Lake cheated his partner and father in law. The company went bankrupt in June 1875, both partners being cited in the bankruptcy proceedings. However George Lake (aged 25) died of 'apoplexy' in October 1875 with the only witness being Joseph Gattu Eames.

Soon after the whole family (including Caroline Lake (nee Eames) who was pregnant at the time of her husbands death) emigrated to New Zealand, in all their were eight children. Joseph lived to the grand old age of 87 and died in NZ in 1913.

I would like to know if anybody knows whether Wilkinson supplied Eames and Co. during their days of their solvency. I suspect me sword is a Wilkinson outfitters supply, the proof slug has PROVED with a star in the centre. There is no number or other identification as far as I can see but I will be gratefully guided by anyone with greater knowledge.

No record in any of the Wilkinson Ledgers/Blade Rubs/Etch Plates or other ledgers and lists of the Trade supplied by Wilkinsons showing swords supplied to Eames and Co.
    He could have got his swords from Mole, Pillin or Thurkle.
    I have looked at the Mole ledgers and there are no entries.
    Proved and Star was a common 'Trade' mark for swords sold via retailers and outfitters and could really be any of the sword makers/sword assemblers/sword importers of the time.

There was
    Guy & Eames in business between 1863 and 1875at 4g High St, Portsmouth (From Old Swords)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham View Post
    No record in any of the Wilkinson Ledgers/Blade Rubs/Etch Plates or other ledgers and lists of the Trade supplied by Wilkinsons showing swords supplied to Eames and Co.
    He could have got his swords from Mole, Pillin or Thurkle.
    I have looked at the Mole ledgers and there are no entries.
    Proved and Star was a common 'Trade' mark for swords sold via retailers and outfitters and could really be any of the sword makers/sword assemblers/sword importers of the time.

There was
    Guy & Eames in business between 1863 and 1875at 4g High St, Portsmouth (From Old Swords)

Thank you Robert.

From my investigation I believe that the Eames of Guy and Eames (late Selby) is the same man as Eames and Co. i.e. Joseph Rattu Eames.

Guy and Eames (1863 to 1875) were at 49 High Street, Portsmouth (see http://www.history.inportsmouth.co.u...-east/hs49.htm) which was previously occupied (until 1863) by Jane Selby, Outfitter. I believe that Guy was an earlier partner of J.R. Eames and they ran a successful Naval Outfitters. At some stage prior to bankruptcy in 1875 the same outfitters was renamed Eames and Co., after George Lake became a partner. The first notice of bankruptcy was placed in The London Gazette on 8th June 1875 (3031) (J. R. Eames and Lake together) as Outfitters trading as Eames and Co. at 49 High Street, Portsmouth.

Therefore, my question is who supplied the swords to Guy and Eames? See the example now sold at http://www.antique-swords.eu/B09-Cla...Guy-Eames.html.

Many thanks

It certainly is a fine looking and well made sword. My guess would be that it was probably made by Reeves. (Reeves went bankrupt in 1869 but resurrected himself in the early 1870's.)

By the proof mark and etching surround I would rule out Mole at this period whose Proof mark was distinctive.
    I must admit it has the look of similar swords by Wilkinsons but the Proof Mark on a sword like this of superb make would have been a 'Best Proof' mark.
    I feel that this is one of those 'we will never know'.
    As said above, there are no record of this retailer in the Wilkinson Blade Rubbings ledgers nor in the ordiginal Etch plates of etches for Trade Customers.
    Last edited by Robert Wilkinson-Latham; 02-10-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Ever wondered why 1895 Infantry swords made by Wilkinson and Mole are almost exactly the same?????????

Well, here is a letter quoting for the supply of 1895 pattern guards which answers that one!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excellent, Robert! Thank you!

My first post. Many thanks for letting me join. I'm here to learn (so please excuse any dumb questions).

I have a piquet sword from the George V period which very much looks like a Wilkinson in overall quality, but is un-numbered. The Military outfitters were Samuel Brothers Ludgate Hill, which is etched on the Ricasso. Does anyone know who supplied their swords at that time?

John

Also I found 00 at the back of the handguard near where the screw goes through. So very anonymous. John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 03-12-2014 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Duplicated

Who supplied swords to W Jones & Co, 236 Regent Street, London? The slug says PROVED, with a mark in the center, which unfortunately I can't discern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12