Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9260 vid , blade snaps in half

Compared to 'action' vids it may indeed seem 'lame', Michael but that doesn't make your advice any less good :tup:.

One thing about going for proper training is that get you an education on what is an acceptable quality sword - that can save you a lot of money in the long run. Joining a 'proper' dojo also has the added benefit of curing you of Wallhanger-itus in no time at all.

That said, almost everyone (including me :O) who trains under our MJER sensei started out with wallhangers and I fear that the new laws in England will have an unexpected consequence in reducing the number of people who look for training because they don't have a 'sword'.
    Nuki .. OUCH!

wall hanger itus

Is that contagious ? or do you grow out of it

I too fear the consequences of the UK ban - maybe it'll mean even
    less people starting JSA training than before - I wont miss the glut of stainless SLO's in Blackpool gift shops though

M A

Where abouts is your MJER dojo located in England if you dont mind me asking ? I am looking to start training at the Darlington MJER dojo in May .

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

"buy a few good books.."

What news from ol' Blighty, did the sword ban make 6-o'clock news or was it just Home Office's april-fools joke?

Regarding the old "buy books" comment.. There are no beginner's books, or something that's easy-read. If you're only looking to buy a good quality chinatana, what good are books about forging nihonto or kantei gonna do? What the cheapo-chinatana market needs is a thin, cheap, and simple book that tells you when to click Bid and when to run away screaming. Unfortunately, with the current rate of change in this field, such book would be mostly obsolete before it came out of print; take "Cutting Targets.." by Babin/Elder for example (it's a few years old, and mentions only Paul Chen and Cold Steel in addition to nihonto/gunto). Therefore, the only viable alternative is a dynamic source of information that keeps up with the changes in the market. Which, I believe, is what this forum is all about.

BTW, I'd like to see one "beginner's sword-book" released, kinda stripped-to-bone, full-color version of the aforementioned Babin/Elder book, called "Backyard Katana Cutting for Dummies" that would only cover safety precautions, basic safe cuts (with lots of pictures), more warnings, a chapter about inspecting your sword and sword maintenance, and the address of SFI.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

That was what I meant by LAME advice - its not lame per say but your right - nihonto books are not exactly a priority for the new
    production sword buyer - I never offer the book buying advice nor did I heed it myself - only wasting money on SLO's then SFI gave me a reasonable idea of what I wanted/needed.

I dont imagine many 1st time sword buyers think " ok I wont buy a PPK - I'll buy 6 books instead " it doesnt fill the same niche' does it
    - maybe its a symptom of a consumer driven society wanting everything like yesterday .

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

'sides, a bunch of books don't look as cool as a sword.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

We don't need no stinkin' books...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    We don't need no stinkin' books...
    My books don't smell?

Out of the books that I know of, the Babin/Elder "Cutting"-book is the one that should ship with every sword.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    Is that contagious ? or do you grow out of it
    I've found that it takes all of one lesson to realise that what you're carrying is an embarassment, leave it at home and begin saving for a fit-for-purpose iaito .

I too fear the consequences of the UK ban - maybe it'll mean even
    less people starting JSA training than before - I wont miss the glut of stainless SLO's in Blackpool gift shops though
    I agree totally on both the effects on numbers of people seeking the JSA and the truth that the disappearance of SLO's will be a blessing.

Where abouts is your MJER dojo located in England if you dont mind me asking ? I am looking to start training at the Darlington MJER dojo in May .
    Sadly, like many non-commercial schools, we don't have a dedicated 'dojo' as such and do our training at a Community Centre in Stoke. We always say that if one of us wins the lottery one of the first uses for the money will be to get a decent dojo built .

Mark
    Nuki .. OUCH!

about training

No thread High jack intended.

About 20 years ago, I was blackmailed by my master of Jujitsu. His being an Ohio Police officer for his day job didn't help matters. So I was forced to comply with his demands.

See, there was no Dojo near me, my Master who lived over 2 hour drive away told me I should teach. I didn't have a place to hold classes, he said teach anyway, I didn't want to teach outside and I was a Nidan and wanted to work toward Sandan, not teach a bunch of idiots. He just said I should teach.

After a while I went to his Dojo and he asked how many students I had. I told him none, he closed the door in my face. He said I have a wealth of knowledge already, if I wont share what I have, then I am a waste of time to train further.

About 2 months later I went to his house to visit him with other friends, as we all played in the SCA together. He asked me again about students. well you know what happened, He threw me out again.

You see, I really didn't want to teach, but I had figured out if I want to train more I will have to make an effort. The next time I went to Master I had 3 students, who had already earned their yellow belts.

20 years after those first 3, I am still teaching in my back yard, some times at other Schools. I have used the local park for classes, what is wrong with that?

For a guy that didn't want to teach, its funny that I now teach for the American Red Cross as an EMT and for my electrical union hall. In May of 2001 I was presented a red and white belt to wear instead of my black one. What a shock! and all because a friend and teacher forced me into teaching.

Back then I didn't want to teach, now I can't stop, partly its a passion, partly I learn so much, including that I was the idiot, not them.

I had to be blackmailed by a loving friend the see myself. What will it take to motivate you to train?

"The way" is within us, not a speical building
    Last edited by Steve Sells; 04-04-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Thats a very admirable sentiment steve and I thank you for your candour and your good advice , a worthy sentiment indeed mate.

for many of us its not a case of where but when ? Ive had my schedule at work re-organised to accomodate me going to a dojo
    twice a week - something ive been trying to do for nearly 2 years.

The UK sword ban will have minimal impact on me personally but the japanese sword has been demonised so badly over here that any requests to use a community centre or church hall for JSA would result in a door in the face and a call to the cops such is the power of the media and sadly thats how bad swords are percieved over here right now - its a crying shame.

sad but true I am afraid.

Mick

Lightbulb Big Blue Meanie alert

The UK sword ban will have minimal impact on me personally but the japanese sword has been demonised so badly over here that any requests to use a community centre or church hall for JSA would result in a door in the face and a call to the cops such is the power of the media and sadly thats how bad swords are percieved over here right now - its a crying shame.
    The perceived magic moment is pretty close, huh?

I can appreciate the threads original intent but it seems to be wandering pretty far adrift from that. If you would like it closed, that can be arranged. If you want to discuss the present UK situation, take it to the legal issues subforum (within the guidleines known in that subforum). if you just want to chat about the repercussions and woe is you, create a mailing list or take it to one of several other venues where the chat is being welcomed. It does not belong in this topic. You knew that.

stick a fork in it glen - its done.

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12