Thread: Swords and weapon shop in New York city

Swords and weapon shop in New York city

Does any one know some good shops, where its possible to buy japanese or other swords or weapons in New York city?

Hi Ralf,

Are you traveling to New York and have you considered how you will be transporting swords? I would say start with a phone directory and Google searches. Martial arts supplies, sporting goods etc. There are several suppliers on the east cost but I am not familiar with shops in the city.

Cheers

Hotspur; there have been a lot of shop closures in the city proper but there is still an annual show

I will be on a short business trip there, only two day and looking for a good shop, to buy some goods for my collection. Nothing antique or cheap wall hangers something real blades its what I look for. I will be traveling by plane, so is there anyting special to be considering?

I would think to definitely ask the airline you will be using if a secured case will be sufficient. I have never flown with swords but there are many here who have. Maybe a forum search for airline would bring up some threads.

Cheers

Hotspur; I'm sure others will have some thoughts

Flying with Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Makio View Post
    I will be on a short business trip there, only two day and looking for a good shop, to buy some goods for my collection. Nothing antique or cheap wall hangers something real blades its what I look for. I will be traveling by plane, so is there anyting special to be considering?
    Just remember to get them boxed up in a very secure package so when they get tossed around by the ground crew they won't break or cut through the packaging.

I recommend a hard case like is used for guns or a wooden box.

Allen
    Gallowglass Academy
    www.GallowglassAcademy.org

Ralf,

You can checkout Mastersmith knife shop on East 58 street. Their website is www.beautifulblades.com. Ask for Bill Malloy.

They have a wonderful display of custom fixed blades and folders as well as custom swords. Not antiques or wall hangers.

Many of the custom swords you will find are from top notch U.S. smiths such as John Lundemo, Rick
    Barrett, and David Goldberg, just to name a few. And yes, plese do check out the rules and regulations as to not complicate things.

Thank you very much for the addres. Of course i will check out the rules and regulations of my airline and airport.

Stanley, thank you so much for that site. I have sent them emails about the Vendetta Corsa knife by Tinker Pearce. I have some of Tinker's work and I love it and I want that knife! It may not have fullers in it, but I love it anyhow.

http://www.beautifulblades.com/products/show/548
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

I was in NYC last October and there was a shop in Manhattan that had lots of arms, armor, etc. Can't remember the name but there were antiques too.

Good luck,

Jeff
    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

Your welcome. Mastersmiths is a relatively new and unknown place. My friend/teacher John Lundemo visited the shop, placed a sword there which was snapped up pretty quickly. The shop is in a very affluent neighborhood of NYC and I guess there are more than a few discerning collectors. Bill, the shop owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Jeff, I wish I knew which place you might be referring to? Sounds like a cool shop. Maybe one of the antique shops on Broadway. Then again, these stores are disappearing in the concrete jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley L. View Post
    Your welcome. Mastersmiths is a relatively new and unknown place. My friend/teacher John Lundemo visited the shop, placed a sword there which was snapped up pretty quickly. The shop is in a very affluent neighborhood of NYC and I guess there are more than a few discerning collectors. Bill, the shop owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Jeff, I wish I knew which place you might be referring to? Sounds like a cool shop. Maybe one of the antique shops on Broadway. Then again, these stores are disappearing in the concrete jungle.
    Yeah, I went into a local information shop in Manhattan and they had an antique brochure. Just from reviewing the brochure, the place looked expensive.

Good luck,

Jeff
    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Fuller View Post
    Stanley, thank you so much for that site. I have sent them emails about the Vendetta Corsa knife by Tinker Pearce. I have some of Tinker's work and I love it and I want that knife! It may not have fullers in it, but I love it anyhow.

http://www.beautifulblades.com/products/show/548
    I sent Bill Malloy the money for the Tinker Vendetta Corsa on Saturday. It will soon be mine. So far, the transaction has been a MOST pleasant experience.
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

Bill's a Good Guy

I bought a gladius from Bill (J. Loose work, really nice), and Bill was nothing but great. I really like that guy. Boy howdy, he as opinionated as the day is long, but that just endears him to me.
    Wyrd byð swyðost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Eells View Post
    I bought a gladius from Bill (J. Loose work, really nice), and Bill was nothing but great. I really like that guy. Boy howdy, he as opinionated as the day is long, but that just endears him to me.
    Opinionated-yet-endearing knife shop owner seems to be an archetype all it's own. We have one of those in PDX. Guy named Dave. Great guy, just keep your own opinions to yourself and watch him go...