Thread: FS: Late 17th century katana

FS: Late 17th century katana

Although I hate to do it, I am selling my late 17th century tachi. Like many tachis, the tang was cut down at one point and refitted with a new tsuka. The tsuba is signed "teruyuki". He died in the early 1800s so right now, it is assumed this was refitted between 1780 and 1810.

The blade is unsigned, but has 4 small "tick" marks on the edge of the nakago. The nagasa measures at exactly 30" so it's quite a long weapon. The blade appears to be underpolished perhaps being used primarily for iaito. The other reason this is thought to be a possiblilty is the amount of staining to the tsuka-ito from the oils on the hands.

In the right light, a trace of a hamon can be seen, but because of the underpolishing, it's hard to identify what style it is in. Original kiri file marks can be seen on the nakago and after it was cut down, sujikai is present from about an inch and a quarter above the lower mekugi-ana to the nakago-kiri.

The tsuka is interesting, but appears to be a lesser quality piece together. The same is in two pieces on both sided of the tsuka. It has a gold inlaid bird for a menuki and there is a gold inlaid family crest on the fuchi. The kashira is a simple one made of horn.

The tsuba is very loose due to a large gap perhaps because of missing. seppa, but it is almost 1/8", a lot larger than I would expect. As mentioned before the tsuba is signed "teruyuki. It has a frog sitting on a flower with a spider web in the background. There are small inlaid gold spots on it. The metal filler pieces that go in the kogai hitsu-ana are present.

Finally, the saya is quite interesting and deserves mentioning. It is leather wrapped wood that simulates the tachi mounting. There are extra pieces of leather sewn onto the base piece simulating the sayajiri and the ashi however there is a sageo tied to it.

I am asking $1500 that includes shipping and insurance anywhere in the world. If you would like more pictures I can provide them, but am on a bit of a crunch for selling this and will be forced to put it on ebay by Wednesday if it doesn't sell here.

Thanks

Mike

Withdrawn. It is up on auction now. PM me if you would like the item number.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Mercier; 05-14-2008 at 03:36 PM.