Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Production blades with a "real yokote"? What is a yokote?

Question Production blades with a "real yokote"? What is a yokote?

I've been thinking, which exactly are the katana that have a plane shift at the yokote, and this, in turn, is properly placed?

I thought the higher end Dynasty Forge katana had it, but that might not necessarily be the case, and I've been looking at Hanwei katana and I although I have the impression that most, if not all models, have a "real yokote", I can't actually confirm it. So, I'm making this thread to attempt and make a list of sorts, of which katana have an actual yokote that isn't just counter polished into the tip.

So far I've come up with:

Citadel Yoshi

Actually that is the only one I can think of for sure. Would you guys like to add some more to the list? I'm sure there are many of you with sizable collections that can name a few.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

I'm pretty sure Bugei swords have real yokote.
    "When I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me..."

I've got a pc bushido with a geometry change at the yokote...I believe the higher-end and some of the mid-line (not elite or xl) models have this as well. My pc ppk does not.

I think the Paul Chen Forged series and higher should all have real yokote's, while practical lines dont.

Though my tsuru stainless steel iaito does, haha

I have real yokote on KC Bingo Mihara and "Masahiro Bamboo", not 100% sure about my Oni Tonbo and ZhiSword, I'll have to check

My PC Orchid does NOT have real yokote, nor do my PC Practicals.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

No physical change in geometry in my PPK

My PC Musashi has a real yokote - a very well defined one as well
    as you can feel the change in geometry .

also my PC Bushido also has a well defined geometric yokote

Now my KC Shingen has a definite change in geometry at the yokote but its not as sharp or well defined as the PC blades I mentioned, its definitely not just counter polished to reveal a cosmetic yokote .

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

My PC Wind & Thunder has a very visable real yokote

My bugei does,
    my Thaitsuki doesnt

Quote Originally Posted by Remy B View Post
    My bugei does,
    my Thaitsuki doesnt
    Ah Remy... Your thaitsuki thread gave some good laughs. Don't worry, if there is any justice in this world you'll find a great bargain one day.
    Thanks for the input guys. Keep'em coming
    Last edited by Angelo Silva; 06-11-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

Oni Tonbo has real yokote, ZhiSword doesn't (it's an iaito, so not really a surprise there).
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Silva View Post
    Ah Remy... Your thaitsuki thread gave some good laughs. Don't worry, if there is any justice in this world you'll find a great bargain one day.
    Thanks for the input guys. Keep'em coming
    HEHE! well at least it found a use if it made you laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy C. View Post
    My PC Wind & Thunder has a very visable real yokote
    That's strange, mine has none - it's cosmetic.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Rous View Post
    That's strange, mine has none - it's cosmetic.
    Well I am relatively new to katana style swords, but there is a definate line running perpendicular to the ha, and the surface of the blade flares out to the line and then flares back toward the point; that is yokote right? This sword was bought from Shadow of Leaves and has different fittings and a blue silk ito, but it is a W&T blade.

This sword was bought from Shadow of Leaves and has different fittings and a blue silk ito, but it is a W&T blade.
    So THAT'S where the o-kissaki customized 4-lobe kat ended up. I was considering buying that very same blade during the "Tax Rebate" sale at SoL but somebody beat me to the punch. Hell of a deal on that one ya got there with the upgraded f/k, tsuba, menuki, ito, etc.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Well I am relatively new to katana style swords, but there is a definate line running perpendicular to the ha, and the surface of the blade flares out to the line and then flares back toward the point; that is yokote right? This sword was bought from Shadow of Leaves and has different fittings and a blue silk ito, but it is a W&T blade.
    The yokote on mine is very faint and ground in. It's part of the reason that the W&T used to be called a shobu with a yokote (which it isnt).
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Maybe it's a generation-thing with the PC's?

I really wish someone did a definitive and in depth overview of all the PC generation in each line. Be quite a job but valuable.

Hi All,
    Timo I think you maybe onto something there, Ive handled two shinto, one had a very well defined yakote, my own shinto has a very shallow one, and the two swords seem to be finnished slightly differently. The tiger classic has a very defined yakote, more so than any other sword I have handled(nihonto included).
    Regards andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy jones View Post
    The tiger classic has a very defined yakote, more so than any other sword I have handled(nihonto included).
    Regards andy
    That is largely because the Tiger Classic has a ko-kissaki and substantial kasane; with a longer point and thinner blade, the yokote would be far less dramatic. Here's a pic of my Tiger Classic's kissaki area-
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

That looks really nice Jerry, wish I still had my old tiger, but my chiburi wasn't so good back then, so I sold it for the wrong reasons, I should have worked harder on my skills

Andy, out of the 2 Shinto's I dont suppose you know which one was the older one.

yes I do, my one was one of the first I saw in england with bo hi,about 3+years ago the other was purchased about 6months ago(this had a better everything not just yokote), would indicate PC are committed to improving their products.

I've got a pc tsunami on the way...anyone know if this one has the "real" thing? Sure hope so...

I don't believe the tsunami does...but don't take my word as gospel. It's been a while since I handled one.
    I'm totally super cereal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast