Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Production blades with a "real yokote"? What is a yokote?

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    I have, on more than one occasion. Everyone interested in Japanese-style swords should, too. But providing a straight link still beats the crap out of having to search for a thread, no matter how obvious it may be.
    One that went much the same direction as this one was the Last Legend thread in the search results for the search I have suggested. Why limit it to one thread though? One could search just the term itself and limit to threads only, then further segregate by subforum. Not to forget that the modern production katana room only goes back a couple of years.

I know you are a proponent of the quick and easy answer and I am on the opposite end of the scale. The thing is that any willing to could spend the time reading and compiling a list of references for themselves, or others. I'm not a huge fan of sticky threads but I am going to pin this one to the top as well. if someone were so inclined to weed through search results and provide links to some other yokote relevant threads, well, go for it. It is not unusual for a topic to be revisited/rethought, so maybe making this a sticky is really the best I (as jafo) can offer.

Cheers

Hotspur; yokote, the demarcation that seperates the pointy end from the rest of a katanaesque blade (something like that, right?)
    Last edited by Glen C.; 06-21-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nicko View Post
    Oh, Alex...my pc bushido DOES have a defined change as well. I really been lovin' these last hanweis I've picked up. Cheapest prices I could find and still excellent quallity imho.
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure my bushido (bought in 2004) had a cosmetic yokote. Either my memory serves me poorly, or they may have 'upgraded' it in subsequent generation(s).

Side-note: Yokote or no yokote, I regret parting with that sword. Damn the newly-fangled UK laws. Damn them.
    Last edited by Alex S; 06-21-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Probably an upgrade, you're right. A couple of people have told me that their old tsunamis had merely a cosmetic line as well. I think hanwei has improved by leaps and strides over the past 5 or so years...I've been nothing but satisfied with them, which is more than I can say for some other production companies.

Just curious, do Orchids have "generations", or has their model remained the same over time?
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Hmmm, this may be my first real post, but I had to put my 2 cents in, and possibly gain some knowledge in the process.

I currently have a replica yet fully functional katana known in the jap-anime Bleach as Tensa Zangetsu (supposed translation: "divine chain cutting moon" though I personally am not sure of that but if anyone IS knowledgeable enough in japanese to translate it for me it would be greatly appreciated)

Point being, this blade (manufacturer unknown) has no yokote, it does have a mildy definitive hamon (as I have yet to finish sharpening and polishing to get rid of the paint that was on the blade when I got it), but it is a modern high carbon steel, muji as far as i can tell so far, and the boshi is yakizume.

Hi Nathan
    Welcome to the forum.
    First we have to straight out some things. A yokote can be a physical change in the geometry in a kissaki.
    A yokote can also be just a marking put there buy the polisher.
    Two different things but both are a yokote.

In production Japanese sword the yokote is almost always the latter, just a marking. (in a production sword it’s often just scratch on)

In a real Nihonto the physical change in geometry is put there by the smith or the polisher when the sword is born .
    When it gets older and has been polished several times this physical change is eventually polished off and the yokote is left to be just a marking.

There are several threads on this forum about this, try to search on “yokoteline”
    Last edited by Mats Gustavsson; 12-22-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mats Gustavsson View Post
    Hi Nathan
    Welcome to the forum.
    First we have to straight out some things. A yokote can be a physical change in the geometry in a kissaki.
    A yokote can also be just a marking put there buy the polisher.
    Two different things but both are a yokote.

In production Japanese sword the yokote is almost always the latter, just a marking. (in a production sword it’s often just scratch on)

In a real Nihonto the physical change in geometry is put there by the smith or the polisher when the sword is born .
    When it gets older and has been polished several times this physical change is eventually polished off and the yokote is left to be just a marking.

There are several threads on this forum about this, try to search on “yokoteline”
    Thanks very much for the enlightenment, now i really feel like a fool, but no less a little more educated fool. Yes my blade has a real yokote in the sense that it has the definite change in geometry, but it does not however have a defined yokote, it's rounded and smooth... which seems to go against traditional style for a new sword, but now that I know a little more of proper sharpening and polishing technique since you've pointed this out to me, I plan on doing as much as I can to get the yokote on my blade properly. The only difficult part of this is going to be that the shinogi and the kissaki don't line up quite right to get the yokote right without removing quite a bit of metal from the base of the kissaki... so I guess just wish me luck on putting this blade into respectable condition with a proper yokote. Any and all pointers and constructive criticism on this is absolutely welcome!

Thanks again very much!
    Last edited by Nathan Bolhuis; 12-22-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Real Yokote

Hi does anyone know if the PC Oni has a real Yokote?
    Thank you

I haven't seen it first hand , but I think yes... even the shinto and W&T have geometric yokote

Check Femal Sensei's sight for good pictures

nihonzashi.com

but for the best prices deal with this guy...

http://www.wiwingtiswordsupply.com/

I own one but the Yokote does not stand out very strong is that normal?

Normal is relative

I have a custom blade ... it doen't stand out big time on that either

Oh Ok cool, I think the polishing on it doesn't help either. But it's still a very nice blade, though the Hamon is very hard to see, you have to really look at the blade to see it. I don't think they did any enhancing on the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by J-M. Watier View Post
    Oh Ok cool, I think the polishing on it doesn't help either. But it's still a very nice blade, though the Hamon is very hard to see, you have to really look at the blade to see it. I don't think they did any enhancing on the blade.

L6 is hard to get a flashy hamon...

Hey, it'd be nice if you'd post some nice high res pics...I've yet to see any

and maybe just a teeny little review?

I'm very interested... my favorite Hanwei mount ever

I will do my best to get some nice pictures, i'll post some tomorrow.

Alright, I will do my best to give you the best info about the Blade. Also please forgive me for the Photo if they ar not real good quality it is pretty much my first time sending pictures.

Tsuka is about 15 inches
    blade is 30 inches
    thickness is about 1/4 inch
    the width is almost 1 1/2
    it's a Chu Kissaki, the tip kind of goes up a little
    the Sori is pretty shallow
    the Habaki is actually brass, not silver
    the tsuba is a little smaller for the size of the sword but it is thick
    the wrapping is suprizingly nice and tight
    Fushi and Kashira have a very nice Oni motife
    the Nakago goes all the way to the end of the tsuka
    the Saya has a rattan look to it but it is only the wood that is carved that way
    the balacing point is around where the Habaki is
    the Hamon gets more faint towards the Kissaki, but I belive it is because of the polishing, they could of done a better job.
    Besides the it's a very nice sword and suprizingly light.

Sorry I have to take the pictures with another camera because the files are too big with the ones I took.

Here's some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the photos...

It really is a nice sword , isn't it?

Sorry for the delay, but yes it is. The bad thing about it is the Sageo, it is so cheap it shreded in no time.

Does anyone know if the new bamboo mat from Hanwei has a geometric yokote? I apologize for asking, I'm not well versed enough in the art of the japanese sword to be able to tell on my own .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123