All 7:
    Sword Fighters of British India
    Swordsmen of the Raj
    Sword Fighters of the British Empire
    Blades In Action
    Swordsmen of the Empire
    Blade Fighters
    British Sword Fighting

I suppose, Matt, that they will remain available from lulu.com as long as the author wills it. But will he?!
    Last edited by L. Braden; 01-14-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks for the list of titles. Are they all good reading? which ones do you recommend the most? I have Sword Fighters of British India and
    Sword Fighters of the British Empire and found both quite good.

Will:
    I should have clarified the titles. "Blades In Action" and "Blade Fighters" are the two that you don't have, and are supplements to the ones that you have. "Swordsmen of the Raj" is the 2nd edition of "Sword Fighters of British India". "Swordsmen of the Empire" is a combo of the first three books, and "British Sword Fighting" is a combo of all four books. Like Matt, I would recommend the two supplements if you liked the first two books, because of the additional material, which you won't find elsewhere. (There are brief descriptions of them in this Reviews section.)
    Last edited by L. Braden; 01-15-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks for clarifying that, I've just ordered them at lulu to add to the collection, but to read first of course!!

I've just finished Swordsmen of the Empire (compilation of the first 3 books), so it's the first time that I've read the 3rd volume and it's really good. In terms of composition and interpretation I would say that this is a stronger work than the first two volumes (the author is clearly getting a deeper understanding of the subject now), and it contains lots of really useful and fascinating sources regarding bayonets, kukris, khyber knives and their use. Having a modest collection of kukris and khyber knives myself I found these parts particularly interesting. I'm now trying to work out exact how the gutting cut with the kukri worked exactly.

Matt

Sounds like the books may expand my interests to collecting kukris and khyber knives! Matt are the khyber knife blades hand made or originate from old swords or? The kukri gutting cut sounds like a quick sharp movement, not something you want to be on the receiving end of. Is the approach from the front or the rear?

It's difficult to work out exactly what the sources mean for the kukri cut, but they seem to agree that a gutting cut was often used (whilst parrying the opponent's weapon with a shield) and that it was a slice (difficult to say whether a push or draw cut through).

The charah/choora/khyber knives are locally made and seem to have been the same design since at least the 18thC right into the 20thC. They have a thick heavy T-section and are made such that they are not at all flexible (in fact you can bend them by hand with some effort, because I have straightened two!), but their edges are very hard and sharp. So either they have just quenched the edge (like Japanese swords) or they have forge-welded a hard steel edge to a softer steel/iron back (like medieval European knives), that's my guess.

I don't want to drift any more off topic here though.

Matt

Availability of Kinsley's books

Quote Originally Posted by L. Braden View Post
    I see that all but one (the first) of the 7 books that were listed in amazon and ebay are now suddenly and inexplicably available only from their original source, lulu.com, which makes me suspect that this might be the beginning of the end of their availability anywhere else but in the used-book market.
    SURPRISE! I see that they are back at amazon.com, and I assume that they will be back at ebay.com as well, because in checking with lulu.com I find that all of their listings on amazon and ebay were temporarily removed for some re-formatting procedure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123