Thread: Special pattern sword of the 9th Lancers.

Special pattern sword of the 9th Lancers.

For those of you with a copy of JW Latham's book "British Military Swords" please turn to page 31, fig.15. Those interested in British cavalry swords will probably have noted the pattern drawing. Scroll hilted special sword of the 9th Lancers.
    I am asking a question I have asked before, that is...... has anyone ever seen an actual example of this pattern. I have had one in my collection for many years and, until he saw it, one of the foremost collectors in this field had considered the pattern had never been made up.
    I have never seen another, though others must surely have been made.
    This sword's owner had a very fine career and almost won the VC in the 2nd Afghan War.
    John.M.
    John Morgan.

Hello John,

There is an article in Classic Arms and Militaria December 1994 (Vol 1 No. 12 :18-20) devoted to 9th Lancers swords. There seem to have been a few floating around.

Send me an email, I could perhaps photocopy the article for you.

As far as I am concerned the really are just 1821/1822 pattern heavy cavalry officers swords. I really don't go for any of the 1856/1887/1896 pattern nonsense. Sure there may have been some minor variations to the 1822 heavy, but not enough to account for a new pattern altogether (at least as far as I am concerned).

Cheers,

Hello Peter,
    Thanks for reply and offer to photocopy the article. But in fact that was an article I wrote. Note that at the end I had encouraged anyone who had seen a special patter 9th lancers sword to let me know.
    I would agree with you that there is simply one Pattern of the regulation heavy cavalry sword...1821 (or 1822).
    The ones made after 1896 I refer to as 1821/96.
    There is no such pattern as the 1887. This misconception was caused by Brian Robson illustrating a late example to a Yeomanry officer ...made by Wilkinsons in 1887!. It is in fact P1821.

There was definitely a regimental pattern of sword for Light cavalry officers from the mid 1850's on. And I think you will find the one or two heavy cavalry regiments converted to ligjt cavalry...a bit hazy on this, will need to check.
    Note I have illustrated one of the more common special pattern 6DG swords in my article. Brian Robson illustrated swords to the 4LD and IRD. The Pattern drawings for several more of these special swords have been discovered in Wilkinson's archives. See the Wilkinson sword club journals.
    Incidentally, I made an error in my article referring to the hilt of my 9th Lancers sword as being honeysucle pattern....it is of course a Scroll Pattern.
    John M.
    John Morgan.

Can someone sneak a pic in so we can take a look?

9th Lancer special pattern
    John Morgan.

Have made several scans..but can't remember how to post! Files probably too large anyway,
    Sorry,
    John.M.
    John Morgan.

9th Lancer special pattern ...hilt
    John Morgan.

9th Lancers special pattern. Hilt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Morgan.

9th Lancers special pattern. The Lockhart crest on blade. presumably the original etching...if any...erased. And crest etched on for Lockhart after sword gifted to him by McKINNIS.
    John Morgan.

9th Lancers special pattern sword
    John Morgan.

9th Lancers special pattern
    John Morgan.

The previous scans compare the McInnis guard with a copy of the original pattern drawing. Note very minor differences.
    John Morgan.

9th Lancers special pattern sword. Etched panel to blade.

"Sir.W.S.A.Lockhart KCB CSI From an old comrade in arms E.B.M.McKinnis, Late IX Lancers".

Lockhart was C-in-C India..circa 1900.
    John Morgan.

Just a reminder to all that I am trying to find out if another example of this special pattern exists...or was made.
    If anyone has a chance to thumb through the Wilkinson records/invoices perhaps they can please bear this in mind for me?
    I will check the the Wilkinson sword society journals and note the other special patterns discovered...since "Swords of the British Army"was published.
    John.M
    John Morgan.

Hi John

Is this topic still relevant to you?

Cheers
    Jordan