Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sword rack project

Quote Originally Posted by Rob O'Reilly View Post
    Looks good Jonathan! Can't wait to see the Georgian display.

Here's my solution to constantly moving nails and repairing screw holes in my wall.

Construction is 2x3 pine in 6' lengths, spaced 20" apart. Each piece was stained and mounted using 3 x 2.5" screws into secure drywall mounts (as none of the planks lined up with a stud). Swords are hung on simple brass cup holders, which can be easily bent to accommodate the scabbards or pinched to hold bare blades.

Apart from the obvious space saving the biggest advantage is how easy the hooks can be moved to accommodate additions or removals. Thanks to Richard for the idea!

Rob

I use the same approach Rob, but I hang the spadroons and smallswords vertically under the sabres.
    As mine is a cabinet the heavier straight swords cutlasses and 1796 heavy cavalry patterns are hung vertically on the side walls. The 1788 LCs are on the right door because of their length.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    I'm still looking at some other table display solutions and may yet knock together something else to rack some horizontally, or do something like a silverware tray. Upside down dish drainers might be just the ticket. Tacky though.
    Glen Have you thought about Acrylic 'risers' or Acrylic knife display stands. the display stands work well with knives and swords with shorter guards. Long thing risers come in different heights and can be turned up side down and the same profile as the knife stand, a "V" notch cut in to them to hold swords at a good angle for viewing. With different heights in risers you can display a good many swords on a horizontal surface and the clear acrylic does not detract from the swords as a dish drainer might.

I think I am going to get one of those rubber made stands for the stuff I have in project stage in my work room (Man Cave)

Icepick; any man manly enough to break a nail is to manly to make fun of, why did you not go to the hardware store to buy new nails?

Hello all, First post here!
    Very nice collections Gentlemen!
    I've just started collecting myself and hope to someday hav'a a sword rack filled with the same kind of gems similar to your own!

All I've got now is a WW1 Spanish artillery sword and a Type 32 Japanese Cavalry saber..but it's a start

Anyways, greetings and thanks for the eye-candy!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

You may like to start a new thread and introduce yourself and say what your interests are etc.

I'm sure you will get a lot from the forum. It's a great place to learn and I think I learn something new just about every time I visit.

It is truly amazing what man can accomplish with a skill saw and some imagination.

Very nice work.

Ande
    Andre F. Ducote
    Mississippi

I've finished (for now) two walls in my play room. I also keep a web page with everything on it and it's mostly kept current.

At home, I've decided to add some pictures & descriptions to let folks get info if they want it. It saves me from boring people and they can always ask me for more info which I am happy to provide.

You can see it here (http://www.smallwebs.com/Swords). There are links on the top two photos to get more info on what is up there.

That is very nice, I really like how that came out, museum like in appearance.

Well done

Wayne,
    Your display is wonderful--well done! I like the informational plaques.

Jonathan
    Last edited by J.G. Hopkins; 12-18-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    Wayne,
    You display is wonderful--well done! I like the informational plaques.

Jonathan
    Whenever someone comes in & asks something, I don't want to take them to the point of wanting to run screaming from my house. This way, I figure they can get some basics and if interested, I'll more than add enough details.

Here's my take on this.

Sword Cabinet

This sword cabinet was the result of an opportunity I had to work in a South American country where the wood costs more than the labor of the master woodcarver. I wish now I had hired Guido to build me more stuff, but this and a matching bookcase are what I came home with. The only problem was that I ran out of room in the cabinet, but then that led me to adopt my current collecting philosophy...I'll only buy a new item if I'm willing to part with something already in my collection. My collection is small, but that philosophy has ended up saving me a lot of money.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Herron View Post
    This sword cabinet was the result of an opportunity I had to work in a South American country where the wood costs more than the labor of the master woodcarver.
    R.E. yes, I agree, labour is cheap for these kind of things in Argentina. I had these made some few months ago. I have about 8 of these in my library. Of course these are individual displays and they take too much space... but fortunately I have enough room... and am working on a bigger one, one that can hold at least 12 sabres. I'll post pictures of it when I'm done.

rgds,
    Fed

Well done Wayne,

I should take a page from your information displays, as my wife tells I'm frequently providing way more info to visitors then they need...guess we're all a bit passionate about swords here.

Having just moved last month I only last night unpacked and mounted my swords, having spent the last 7 months in a crate...go figure the real estate agents thought that having them displayed while trying to sell the house my intimidate prospective buyers. Bah!

Anyways I will post a pic once display complete.

Rob
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Here's my solution to constantly moving nails and repairing screw holes in my wall.

Rob
    Hi Rob, I'm curious. The #6 saber counting from the top of the right rack, is that a p1796 with a brass scabbard? I can see the two p1796 light cavalry on the left rack #3 and #4.. but was just curious about this one. Too bad you had to tear this down.

Wayne, beatiful display. You have a museum at home The link wasn't working for me before, but I just saw the webpage, very nice indeed!

Fed

Sword Displays

Some very neat methods of sword display gentlemen. I made up a couple of display boards for my office years ago. Now they hang in my den. They are simply rough cut cedar and the swords and belts are hung from what are essentially brass cup hooks. Simple and easy to make.

The two boards hold a Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) sword and a Sons of Veterans (SV) sword. I also put the appropriate sword belts and hangers on the boards along with cap wreath insignias. All items are easily removable to change swords if desired.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by George Wheeler View Post
    Some very neat methods of sword display gentlemen.
    I agree, George. Yours included, of course! I like how you have incorporated the belts and accoutrements into the display, as well.

You all are giving me ideas for future display possibilities.

Jonathan

Fed,

Yes it is in the style of the 1796, though the scabbard appears to be copper. I suspect it was used for a flank officer because the blade curvature is a bit more pronounced than a LC sword.

Tearing it down was saddening but it has been re-built in my new home and is proudly displayed beside me as I type this.

Rob

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ Ferrero View Post
    Hi Rob, I'm curious. The #6 saber counting from the top of the right rack, is that a p1796 with a brass scabbard? I can see the two p1796 light cavalry on the left rack #3 and #4.. but was just curious about this one. Too bad you had to tear this down.

Wayne, beatiful display. You have a museum at home The link wasn't working for me before, but I just saw the webpage, very nice indeed!

Fed
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

This is always one of my favorite topics. I love seeing collections in there totality. I will have to get around to taking an updated pic of my main display. Though not all the swords on it are antiques. I sort of have those spread throughout my home. I even use clear plastic bulletin board pins on my light spadroons. They work fine!

Great to see this thread at this time, I was just looking for inspiration how to attach my swords to the wall. I'm a bit torn between mounting them vertically (easy) or in an arc (more tricky, when new swords are added). But attaching a few bars of wood to the wall, and use those to attach the fasteners to hold the swords definately will safe me a lot of hole filling whenever I want to rearrange my collection. The swords having a lot of variation in length makes it tricky as well. Hmm... still have to do some thinking!

Thanks Rob for the pic. Yes I can see the pronounced curve, and also the blade looks a bit different from the classic p1796. But I really like this version, I like the curve. It is really well preserved!

Fed

Fed,

Yes it is in the style of the 1796, though the scabbard appears to be copper. I suspect it was used for a flank officer because the blade curvature is a bit more pronounced than a LC sword.

Tearing it down was saddening but it has been re-built in my new home and is proudly displayed beside me as I type this.

Rob

Rob

My effort at sword racks

Hi all,
    I also wasn't overly excited with the range available so I made my own after seeing other examples here.
    Here are my efforts.......

... well out of reach of young hands, I see.

Nicely done, Cam!

Cam,

Your picture didnt go up. Can you re-post it please?

3 up, 2 to go

2 1821s & an 1853

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast