Thread: 9260 spring steel vs t10

9260 spring steel vs t10

Alright.
    SBG has finally came out with a T-10 semi-custom katana shown here.
    http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-...om/custom.html
    kaze>this? or this>kaze?
    need opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji Kurihara View Post
    Alright.
    SBG has finally came out with a T-10 semi-custom katana shown here.
    http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-...om/custom.html
    kaze>this? or this>kaze?
    need opinions

I have been part of the discussion on the other site on t-10 steel. I have been part of an unfortunate number of 9260 discussions.

The question which must be considered is , what application do you wish to use this sword for?

If it's display, well I 'd choose a different sword altogether, but within the parameters you set... I'd take the SBG , because of the potential customizing.

If you're looking for a performance sword, well the steel , whether 9260 or T10 , if HT'ed properly would hold up far longer than the other components of the sword...

Plus , this SBG sword is an unknown element, noone has handled one... so noone has an informed opinion about it.... save Paul, I guess...

Give your choices, I'd take the SBG sword, for reasons that have nothing to do with the steel... but either way you go, you're still going to have a $300 katana... and $300 doesn't buy a whole lot of katana in most instances.

BTW, the toughest, best cutting sword I have is 1050 , through hardened...

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Ridgeway View Post
    BTW, the toughest, best cutting sword I have is 1050 , through hardened...
    Oh such heresy! You need ubersteel!

The fittings aren't worth the base materials they're cast of.. They're literally dime-a-dozen. My bet would be that habaki are far from individual, too. And tsuka, well..

Let's just say that no-one can beat the amount of custom options offered at this price point. And there is a reason for it. Sounds too good to be true? It usually isn't true, then. Some major corners have been cut to come up with this kind of product his so little money. Even Hanwei can't do it with their volumes (PPK costs more, and it's as far from custom as you get), so unless somebody has come up with a revolutionary new way to "forge" (precision mill), heat treat and polish blades for fraction of the cost other forges put into it, not to mention making koshirae for them.. Smells fishy to me.

To answer the question, Kris Cutlery over both.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    The fittings aren't worth the base materials they're cast of.. They're literally dime-a-dozen. My bet would be that habaki are far from individual, too. And tsuka, well..

Let's just say that no-one can beat the amount of custom options offered at this price point. And there is a reason for it. Sounds too good to be true? It usually isn't true, then. Some major corners have been cut to come up with this kind of product his so little money. Even Hanwei can't do it with their volumes (PPK costs more, and it's as far from custom as you get), so unless somebody has come up with a revolutionary new way to "forge" (precision mill), heat treat and polish blades for fraction of the cost other forges put into it, not to mention making koshirae for them.. Smells fishy to me.

good point. I had the same thoughts when I first saw the offer.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. Japanese Proverb

yep. on all points. i've seen the same tsuba on some low. . . *low* end stuff from brands like ryumon, *before* they were even ryumon.

at the same time i'm with mark in that if we're choosing between these two models (kaze or sbg) i'd go with the custom options, since in either case the blade is ultimately what you're buying, and unless cheness has really improved their fittings since i owned a set of fuchi/kashira from them, they aren't a whole lot better than the sbg.

if i had the same price point, and my druthers, i'd go with this one (i'd go with kc, but for a little more traditional look. . . );
    http://www.samuraisword4u.com/9260-s...rds-63-ctg.htm
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

Quote Originally Posted by les yeich View Post
    yep. on all points. i've seen the same tsuba on some low. . . *low* end stuff from brands like ryumon, *before* they were even ryumon.

at the same time i'm with mark in that if we're choosing between these two models (kaze or sbg) i'd go with the custom options, since in either case the blade is ultimately what you're buying, and unless cheness has really improved their fittings since i owned a set of fuchi/kashira from them, they aren't a whole lot better than the sbg.

if i had the same price point, and my druthers, i'd go with this one (i'd go with kc, but for a little more traditional look. . . );
    http://www.samuraisword4u.com/9260-s...rds-63-ctg.htm
    I'm with you on that, Les. Those samurai sword store katana look pretty well built.

If you're looking for something "different" in $300 range, SSS should have those 1060 "Jewel forge" swords that AJ Bryant reviewed a while back that look promising (I have the T10 AJ-sensei also reviewed and it kicks ass). Try contacting Dave Lorrez for any updates.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher H View Post
    Oh such heresy! You need ubersteel!
    LOL. good point. With all of the different "super steels" out there, folks forget that proper heat treatment "makes or breaks" a sword. A thru hardend 1050 blade is great.....now, people's technique......well, that's another "break point". LOL
    Misaki Ito will someday be mine

Knowledge is arrogance when one thinks it is complete.

A true test of a man is what he does when he knows that he won't be found out .

CLICK to view my humble artwork

Paul Chen has serious overhead as well as several middlemen between you and a sword. I strongly suspect that the PPK costs somewhere between $60-$80 to produce. The price consumers pay reflects several markups. I am certainly not defending the SBG offerings however. SBG is set up as a business, so of course they are going to hype what they are pushing. Since I have no intention of buying one of their new swords, I'll keep my opinion of them to myself.

Unfortunately for SBG, the further they get into paid hyping and self promotion, the less credibility they will have. There is at least one reviewer over there who is obviously a paid promoter.

Moderator's Note

Unfortunately for SBG, the further they get into paid hyping and self promotion, the less credibility they will have. There is at least one reviewer over there who is obviously a paid promoter.
    Let's leave the analysis of the site and motives off the board here. If you have feedback for the site itself, please take it there.

Thanks in advance.

Glen