Thread: Cabang, Sai or San Ku Chu

Medan , North Sumatera Province , Indonesia

Cabang, Sai or San Ku Chu

Hi,

I just found this weapon, i was told it dug when villager open a well. I wonder this is an artificial aging pcs ( by buried ) or really an old pcs ?

I have abit rub out the rust using Super penetrant WD-40, and the result as seen on pictures.

In north sumatera, we known this as cabang or trisula, with a simple search , i found out trisula should be refers to spear. Another confusing thing is which is this pcs a cabang, sai or San Ku Chu?
    They all have almost a same shaped.

Rgds
    Jhony
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Jhony Leung View Post
    I wonder this is an artificial aging pcs ( by buried ) or really an old pcs ?
    Hi Jhony,

It looks real to me. The corrosion is deep, irregular and the right sort of colours. Artificial ageing tends to produce a more even pattern to the pitting and the colour is often reddish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhony Leung View Post
    Hi,

I just found this weapon, i was told it dug when villager open a well. I wonder this is an artificial aging pcs ( by buried ) or really an old pcs ?

I have abit rub out the rust using Super penetrant WD-40, and the result as seen on pictures.

In north sumatera, we known this as cabang or trisula, with a simple search , i found out trisula should be refers to spear. Another confusing thing is which is this pcs a cabang, sai or San Ku Chu?
    They all have almost a same shaped.

Rgds
    Jhony
    Jhony,

Just fyi, they are also known as "tekpi" in Malaysia.
    http://www.tekpi.org/Tekpi.Org/Home.html
    http://silat-melayu.blogspot.com/200...a-senjata.html
    -Mercy to the wolf is cruelty to the sheep.
    -Those who turn their swords into plowshares often end up plowing the fields of those who did not.

Medan , North Sumatera Province , Indonesia
    Thanks all,
    Cabang also known as Tekpi in Malaysia, so this one is Cabang, Tek Pi, Sai or San Ku Chu ? i`m more confuse

Hi Graham, any clue about the ages?

No.....unfortunately, it's not possible to tell the age from the corrosion patterns and I don't know any way of dating it from the style.

I have a very similar one with a Chinese-style faceted pommel. Philip Tom compared mine to the Chinese gen and suggested that it was probably made somewhere in the Malay archipelago where there were links to China or where there was an immigrant Chinese population.