Thread: "Ripley's Believe it or Not" Fails Utterly

"Ripley's Believe it or Not" Fails Utterly

They just showed a scissors katar with the same old claim of it being a "stab-n-spread" design, but with a new twist. They also claim that they were only used by a special gang of thief-assassins. It's like they took Stone's Glossary and made it into some kind of ninja movie.

It's a shame that a show based around "strange but true" stories should avoid doing its research properly, but at the same time it could simply be a demonstration of how little accurate information is available in english regarding indo-persian arms. A travesty in either case.
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bouchard View Post
    They just showed a scissors katar with the same old claim of it being a "stab-n-spread" design, but with a new twist. They also claim that they were only used by a special gang of thief-assassins. It's like they took Stone's Glossary and made it into some kind of ninja movie.

It's a shame that a show based around "strange but true" stories should avoid doing its research properly, but at the same time it could simply be a demonstration of how little accurate information is available in english regarding indo-persian arms. A travesty in either case.
    It's not so much a lack of information available. The biggest problem is that the program makers only get so much time to research a subject, and accuracy is not the primary concern in these programs. But generally they just won't realize themselves what's wrong, as they have to little knowledge to know right from wrong.

I wish there were a way that there was a good connection between these program makers and the people from here or other places with a decent amount of knowledge on the subject could included. I mean, I'd gladly help providing information, and would do it for free if that would mean the quality of these programs would increase drastically. At least that would save me a whole lot of re-educating with every visitor I encounter in the living history center.

With the only scissors katar I've ever handled, although apparently no different from the others, I could hold it shut quite comfortably while straining on the crossbars.