Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats YOUR favorite production Katana?

Whats YOUR favorite production Katana?

Just what it says. Whats your fav, why, and maybe a pic. Just want to see what everybody likes.

My Favorite...

The now defunct Oni Forge Ryu... just a great sword

I also like The Hanwei Wind and Thunder a whole bunch too...

i like the lines of that sword too.

favourite production katana ?

The one thats on its way of course

Heres the now defunct Liveblade shogyusha by fred chen

followed by a kissaki shot of the Oni Forge Ukigumo ( also by fred chen )
    thats on its way to my after skip has worked his mounting magic

Ive read a few reports that say the ukigumo blade is identical to the shogyusha blade - only the uki is folded .

anyway its my favourite - I hankered after one back in 06 when M.K first had one - but I always missed out for some reason or another - But Dan Bespalko has helped me out big time and now even though its only a production piece ive finally got the blade I was always after

p.s the liveblade shogyusha is the bottom sword of the three

Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Bugei Samurai hands down, both the wak and the kat(though I don't like the tanto). I had both but ended up having to trade 'em away and miss 'em lots every day. I like the bold lines, solid construction, decent weight, good balance and simple steel koshirae. With every other production sword I've owned, there was always something I felt I'd need to change or amend. Not so with the Samurai. Right out of the box, it was a looker that had a fierce attitude to back it all up. If I'm ever able to buy another sword or two, I'd love to get another Bugei Samurai daisho...one I won't let slip away.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

I've got a pc bushido (later gen) with a particularly well formed kissaki and nice, consistent sori and taper...if I could locate my camera...I'll be back!

My favorite was a Bugei Bamboo I had. Sold it on the forum.
    "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

- Lao Tzu

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

My favorite sword is.. don't laugh.. my customized Masahiro Bamboo. Although this might chance once I get the chance to break in my Samurai-Sword-Shop T-10.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    My favorite sword is.. don't laugh.. my customized Masahiro Bamboo. Although this might chance once I get the chance to break in my Samurai-Sword-Shop T-10.

Good for you Timo...

3 years later for me, and my Masahiro Bamboo is still a solid. sharp sword. There were predictions of an epic fail within a month... and for what I paid , a month would have been ok with me... but 36 months now, no fail, epic or otherwise...

1st generation bushido

Ive also got a 1st gen Bushido that I love - picked up in the classifieds and though the ito was a bit loose it had been extremely well looked after for the 6 years the guy had it for .

Its got the white horn saya fittings that the early bushido had , it still has a geometric yokote but not as defined as the later ones - only problem is the stick thin tsuka the gen 1's had - I mean a 36mm fuchi and a 32mm koshirae is more like tanto sizes than a katana ( see pic )

along with the ukigumo its going to be remounted by skip gardner with a more substantial tsuka and better fittings
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Cut with a Bugei Dragonfly (not sure if it had bohi) and I loved it.
    "Budo is Technology"

For me both the Oni from PC and the Samurai Katana from Bugei.

i've owned a *lot* of production katana, and i can say i don't have a definite favorite.

almost all the mounted katana i've gotten from kris cutlery were what i would consider excellent swords, regardless of price range. they're kind of niche blades, though, since they've mostly had unique mounts. don't get them expecting a traditional sword, but expect really great, fun performance.

the bwt katana from imperial weapons was a really pleasant buy for me. the blade had more activity in it than i had expected and the blade itself survived destruction testing to a degree i would say was very impressive for a production blade. i honestly couldn't do significant damage to the blade via cutting. i abused it to sh*t. the tsukamaki and fittings survived some clubbing action. this was a very tough sword, and the balance was such that it was very light, but tip- balanced. it had a lot of presence and authority for cutting, but was light enough to handle for a long time. i unfortunately have come across a few people who weren't impressed by this sword. i think if you're looking for a really traditional sword, this isn't a great choice. if you're looking for a sword that in my opinion is a lot of fun to cut with and you don't have to worry about damaging it, then this is a great sword.

i've liked most the hanwei stuff i've owned. i've never had any issues of significance with any of the swords i've bought, excepting a second gen pk that had pretty bad saya fit. the newer pk elite was pretty impressive. it reminded me of much higher- end blades i've seen. it felt like a blade actually worthy of being called a "tournament" cutter or whatever they're saying these days. the folded line has always been decent. i have a kami right now that has excellent kissaki shaping, and feels really good in the hand. it cuts really well. the saya is now black and i have a jabara-esque wrap on the tsuka.

fred chen stuff is usually pretty solid. quality seems to vary from seller to seller, and i've noticed some companies seem to get preference when it comes to final finish and fit. i've personally had good luck with cold steel, and the double edged kat from them was especially fun to cut with. last legend has improved a lot.

there are a few brands i'm not a fan of, but i'm not going to go into that. it would just offend people.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

Almost seems like peopels favroties are directly in relation to cost. Bugei is up there in both cost and desire, then probley Paul Chen, then the other lower prices(NOT CHEAP, but economical) swords have a smattering.

No Dynasty Forge mentioned yet?

i actually group dynasty forge in with fred chen stuff. there has been some debate in the past as to which companies sell fred chen, and which companies sell from forges *derived* from fred chen (aka fred chen derivatives). now a lot of companies sell them, but when they were first branching out, a lot of sellers were trying to claim superiority by claiming they were selling the "original" or conversely from a forge who had "improved" and branched out.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

My DF Daimyo was the prettiest production blade I've yet seen.

Sadly, no good for Tameshigiri as the edge was too thin and detached.

Good for Kata.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Hi

i have 2 production Katanas one is a PPK
    the other is the wonderful Oni forge Ukigumo it is both Folded and Pattern Welded 1095 High Carbon Steel

Half the weight of a old blade is history

For me, it has to be the Cheness 9260 line. Just love the feel

Specifically, the Tenchi in shirasaya.

I move that anyone posting their favorite production kat post pictures of said sword!!
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

finally found the camera!

Here's the blade of the bushido I mentioned earlier...

2nd vote for the Bugei Samurai daisho.

After a session of cutting tatami mats, my buddy and I nicknamed the katana "the lightsaber", it cut so well .

--Edward

My favo production blade is the Citadel Yoshi, awesome looking and handling for a good price.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

Katana

For me... Citadel katana!
    Best cutting blade i ever had.

Good call on the Citadels, BTW. I rated them behind the Bugei Samurai by only the slightest margin overall...almost solely for the folded steel aesthetic. Mine fits me like a glove as I have larger hands and she sports a 28.5" nagasa.

In addition to this Citadel katana, I also have Citadel wakizashi, tanto, aikuchi and ken. They are all extremely well made and solidly crafted with the tightest of tolerances and nary a creak or wiggle to be found. I believe Mike at SoL even has his remaining Citadel stock on sale currently...
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    Good call on the Citadels, BTW. I rated them behind the Bugei Samurai by only the slightest margin overall...almost solely for the folded steel aesthetic. Mine fits me like a glove as I have larger hands and she sports a 28.5" nagasa.

In addition to this Citadel katana, I also have Citadel wakizashi, tanto, aikuchi and ken. They are all extremely well made and solidly crafted with the tightest of tolerances and nary a creak or wiggle to be found. I believe Mike at SoL even has his remaining Citadel stock on sale currently...

Hey Jerry, how about a thread with some pics of those Citadel, especially the Ken...

I took my Yoshi for granted when I had it, and now I miss it terribly

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast