Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats YOUR favorite production Katana?

Jerry, you were not the target of my comments about self righteousness. You may have been drifting in that direction, but there have been loads more people who outright remark things like "cutting with your bugei will spoil it" or "you shouldnt cut with an 'expensive' (lol) blade" and the like.
    Please dont delete any of your posts, thats one thing which is really badly wrong with SFI, people get bullied into retracting their comments all the time. The whole point in a forum is being able to read the entire natural discourse.

Benjamin, I never said you should cut with your sword; I take issue with people telling me I shouldnt cut with mine; my point is that people should be able to do whatever they like with their posessions. At no point did I ever say that people who dont cut with their swords are in the wrong as you insinuate.

Sorry people, Ive just heard too much negativity about actual sharp sword usage over the years and it gets to me. Rant mode now completely off.
    The Mind Truely Is The Sharpest Blade And The Deadliest Weapon.

I think the smoke has cleared and we can all come back out of our bunkers to play now that everyone's packed their tools back into their trousers.

So...back to the OP's question-

"Whats YOUR favorite production Katana?

Just what it says. Whats your fav, why, and maybe a pic. Just want to see what everybody likes."
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Bowie, Maryland but consider my self a citizen of the world.

BRavo and Well Said

Jerry you and I have met and known each other for a while now. You know I believe in quality first (and as a business profit second). The Bottom line is what you get for your dollar. If it works it works and has been through the centuries. There is another thread concerning a comparison of katana that is being offered on Ebay vs. what is offered via my good friend and Brother Brian Dreier at roninswords.com. They are not comparable. What Brian offers he has tested and endorses. As a Sensei he knows what it is he offers or would not allow it for sale. He is well recognized in the Tokan Kei community as an expert in his field. The guy who sells on eBay is an expert on profit margin only. Do they actually sell the same product (I think not) but the choice is in the source. An expert or a merchant?? But still the bottom line is what works for you. PROVIDED!!!! That it is safe for you the owner in use, and those who witness. Does this make sense or have I lost it completely??

As Always,

Mike
    'Shisei"
    Sincerity must begin with attitude, then it will flow naturally into your words and deeds.

Sensei Miura Hanshi

Quote Originally Posted by mscrampton View Post
    Jerry you and I have met and known each other for a while now. You know I believe in quality first (and as a business profit second). The Bottom line is what you get for your dollar. If it works it works and has through the centuries.
    True, true. You're the one who turned me on to the Citadel brand, after all, and are no small part of the reason why I will not be selling any of the ones I own. It is always reassuring to know you're getting your stuff- especially potentially lethal stuff- from someone who knows it inside out. It makes a customer more secure in their decision-taking when they see that you yourself have several blades disassembled and in various stages of improvement and rebuilding. Take those Dynasty blades you rebuilt, for instance. Instead of slapping band-aids on them and reselling them like an ebay merchant, you took 'em apart and fixed their shortcomings from the frame up. That's one of the prime reasons I've always enjoyed doing business with you...that plus the sake, your knowledge, the other cool weapons, etc.

I wish I wasn't so broke or I'd have snapped up more of your stock by now.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

well, ive always loved the Last Legend Ronin (of the yashima family) katana, but never could afford one, but that one was definitely at the top of the list. But for most durable, and affordable of a production, i personally have give it to the cheness 9260 line. i prefer/LOVE my shura, but some like the tenchi, so to each there own, but which ever ya like (even if its the other 9260s ive not mentioned) i think those are a great line for production katanas.
    just my 2 cents.

~Jessie F.
    "Strategy is the craft of the warrior."

"The long sword (katana) can be used effectively in all situations."

-Quotes from the Book of 5 rings by Miyamoto Musashi

mine was the last legend takeda shingen but that's about 5 years ago

now, the cheness shobu zukuri has great form and flow regardless of the furniture, the blade is one of my favorites out there.

your favourite ( remounted) production katana

HI Jerry

I may ( or better still if you do it ) start a sub thread with this as the topic

" whats your favourite ( remounted) production katana "

theres been some absolute gems on SFI over the years and even though they are still only production blades a lot of thought and crfatsmanship has gone into many of them ,

I dont mean to jack the thread Jerry so I may start another one myself

BTW - it was looking at your remounted bugei dragonfly that gave me the idea , so any hijacking on my part is really your fault
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

I started this thread when I was about to buy a production Kat and wanted to know what everybody liked themselves and were it fell money wise.

Well, I ended up getting a remounted production blade (DF 1060 Shobu, you can see it on the "cant wait" thread). So that would be a logical route for this thread. Or start one and I'll post my opinion there.

Nice one Rich

It looks like you got your DF shobu at just the right time as well now that Aaron is cutting back his commissions and projects for a while at least .

I think all of the DF customs that Aaron has done a very nice - some are mouth watering , theres a few of his projects would make it onto my favourite remount list .
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Quote Originally Posted by J.Williams View Post
    now, the cheness shobu zukuri has great form and flow regardless of the furniture, the blade is one of my favorites out there.
    I'm in the market for a new blade, now that the silly UK "samurai" sword ban has been lifted. I'm taking your comment very seriously, although having looked at the shobu line I think the tsuka may be a little short for me (I'm 6'4" with long arms). They do look pretty damn good though
    I was looking at a Last Legend non-folded Mikusa family blade up until I read your post, think I'd still like one, but finding a european dealer is proving a nightmare though.
    Imperial Forge do what looks like a nice custom blade, and they have a British website, but nobody seems to know anything about them so I'm hesitant to take a gamble.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, my current favourite blade is my iaito coz its about the right size for me and I got it from Japan I own a Hanwei PP Wak and a P-Pro katana also, but they aren't as nice.
    Cake or death?

So glad to hear that the pig sticker revolt is over. Such a lame law to have passed.

I'm 6.3 with long arms and even a longer...... uh..... sense of humor~

as I recall they have a 29" zukuri and that should be long enough
    for the average ryu. I prefer 28.5 for my swords as it allows for much faster draws. Loosing 1/2 inch is made up for with other techniques.
    30 inches and I think legally you have to start calling it a tachi by tradition~

for the LL blades, try the guys over at swordarmory.com, tom was always great to deal with and they really took the time to get you a blade
    your going to like instead of just trying to sell you something.

i've seen all of the LL family blades and there is just something about the sori cocking that bugs me for some reason.

BIZEN SORI IS MY FAVORITE! smooth and even and hopefully a good sized kisaki to top it all off~

That's why that shobu speaks to me. Just needs a total redo of the koshirae to something more elegant but one of the guys at my school has one and it flows o so nicely. Maybe a nice burgendy ito over black sam'e and some nice flying geese in silver menuki on center of a katate maki wraping~

sorry, brain went off somewhere on that one

I really like the new ONI from Hanwei as it reminds me of the Takeda, but I read that its crap on all the boards out there so that ones out.
    Bad tsuka shape and it swings like a brick. So that's out~

Hoping the new Hanwei Raptor series is good stuff, just need to swap out the tsuba for a good one and I think their shobu might be nice as well. Have to wait and see.

But since Bugei is only 30 minutes from my house I need to make my way over and see them in person then come back and report~
    Last edited by J.Williams; 02-17-2009 at 10:36 PM.

i've actually heard the oni was a really great handling sword. the gripe from people i've known is simply that it's hard to justify the high price, just because of the "super" material.

if we're talkin remounts, then i would be *very* hard pressed to name a favorite. generally my own experience with remounts (having done them and having had them done for me) has been that as long as the blade tickles your fancy, the end product obviously relies almost entirely on the mounter as far as quality or "favorite-ility" goes. there are so many blades on the market that are good remount candidates it's surprising.

i've had a kc bingo mihara that was an awesome custom mount, as well as various bare blades from kc. i've had various hanwei blades remounted; every one of which was very pleasing. not exactly a *re*mount, but back when liveblade was active with cicada forge, they had a *custom* mounted blade that i fell in love with, and to this day it's a mount i want to have recreated. rather annoying story, actually... when i e-mailed them just weeks after it sold asking for some pictures (they had incredibly detailed pictures) i was told they weren't sure which one i was referring to, as they had so many come through. i *like* the various fred chen remounts i see, but i can't help but feel there's very little outside of color and fittings that vary between them, whereas when i've had blades remounted i typically insist on fairly specific tsuka shape, features like inro saya, etc. i guess that's the difference between remounting and more simple customizing, though.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

So glad to hear that the pig sticker revolt is over. Such a lame law to have passed.
    The ammendment ran that any "traditionally made" swords are exempt from the ban. The government finally saw the sense that anyone intent on causing harm will carry something small and easily concealed, rather than stuffing a sword up their jacket, moreover they are also unlikely to shell out upwards of £300 on a weapon they will probably want to get rid of very quickly at somepoint.
    Anyway, another rant for another topic methinks

as I recall they have a 29" zukuri and that should be long enough
    for the average ryu. I prefer 28.5 for my swords as it allows for much faster draws. Loosing 1/2 inch is made up for with other techniques.
    30 inches and I think legally you have to start calling it a tachi by tradition~
    My iaito is 29", been looking at 28.5" for the same reason you state above. Most sizing charts all point to at least 30" blades for someone my size but it just doesn't feel right in the hand.

for the LL blades, try the guys over at swordarmory.com, tom was always great to deal with and they really took the time to get you a blade
    your going to like instead of just trying to sell you something.
    I'll have a butcher's at their website, cheers for that

i've seen all of the LL family blades and there is just something about the sori cocking that bugs me for some reason.
    The sori on the LL blades is pretty mental I have to agree. I do like them though.

Hoping the new Hanwei Raptor series is good stuff, just need to swap out the tsuba for a good one and I think their shobu might be nice as well. Have to wait and see.

But since Bugei is only 30 minutes from my house I need to make my way over and see them in person then come back and report~
    Yes, I had noticed the Raptor on the other thread, looks very interesting indeed. Anyway, I appreciate your input sir. Thankyou, you have been a big help

(Of course, now that I can buy swords again I could always buy a number of swords over the course of the year and enjoy them all instead of agonizing over just one blade )
    Cake or death?

Your welcome, I am happy to be of some use to the forum~

Wheres the fun in not agonizing on the find of the perfect blade??

Hell that keeps me going half the time!

Makes me wonder if they passed that ban because there are to many highlander fans over there??

A little off topic as its no longer a production blade but here
    is my current cutter, it is a Hanwei practical plus that is totally refit with new tsuka, ito, menuki, and tsuba.

I call it "Blue Plum" given its theme.

please excuse that the seppa is loose, I need to still pin it better since I just changed
    them not to long ago from rope to filed seppa's.

The nagasa is 28.5 if my memory serves, so that might be a great blade for you as well. Its been a great blade for me especially after retrofit. Their newest version is the XL.
    http://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbch-per-practical.html

I'm not gay ("not that theres anything wrong with that - seinfield") but I do love me some sakura themes on swords.
    Something about the highlight of things of delicate nature
    used to enhance the look a lethal weapon.

anyways LOL!

I'm sorry that I didn't post a photo of this blade sooner since I have been looking over all the blades that everyone else has posted on the forum, its only fair that I contribute too!
    Last edited by J.Williams; 02-18-2009 at 06:02 PM.

My Bugei Dragonfly. I think the fittings as designed by Ted Tenold specifically for that blade are some of the nicest ones you'll find in production swords. I also have a soft spot for dragonflies and my wife has a lovely dragonfly tattoo... But my other reasons are pretty simple. It is a thinner blade with bo-hi that has been used by any number of people in tameshigiri and it has never taken a set. So much for the oft heard comments about how easy it is to bend blades with bo-hi. Of course most of the people I've let use the sword have had some basic training so it isn't really an issue. Which is the more relevant issue with using a sword with Bo-hi. I also like it because I have enough problems with tendonitis in my elbow, wrists and shoulders from polishing. And this blade is very light and fast in the hands. So I can train with it relatively pain free and it simply likes to move and cut.

And it has also been on the receiving end of many experiments on my part and just keeps on cuttin'. Gotta respect that.
    Keith Larman
    Summerchild Polishing and Modertosho Modern Japanese Swords
    "They say I have ADD, but ... Hey, look, a chicken!"

Your welcome, I am happy to be of some use to the forum~

Wheres the fun in not agonizing on the find of the perfect blade??

Hell that keeps me going half the time!
    Hehe, ok so I'm agonizing over my next blade, and will probably repeat the agonizing process for the blade after that, and the one after that ........

Makes me wonder if they passed that ban because there are to many highlander fans over there??
    If only it was that comical. The truth is that the government wanted to appear they were doing something without actually have done or achieved anything. Anyway, I'm just glad that common sense appears to have prevailed.

A little off topic as its no longer a production blade but here
    is my current cutter, it is a Hanwei practical plus that is totally refit with new tsuka, ito, menuki, and tsuba.

I call it "Blue Plum" given its theme.

The nagasa is 28.5 if my memory serves, so that might be a great blade for you as well. Its been a great blade for me especially after retrofit. Their newest version is the XL.
    Nice work I've got my eye on a Hanwei Practical Katana as a possible refit project, would most likely get the "Elite" blade. I've also found a UK retailer of Cheness stuff, and the UK price on the "Ayame" Shobu blade you mentioned earlier is very competative when you factor in shipping costs and import duty from the States.

Looking forward to expanding my collection
    Cake or death?

Excellant. You just can't go wrong with a shobu! But the PK+ has a great feel to it. I see that the newest ones also seem to have just a slightly deeper sori it seems then mine.

so that will aid in those long arms~

I need to add another one to my rack here soon. Its going to come down to the ayame or the raptor shobu.

cheness is only an hour from me and paul offered to let me come
    down and try out all the different blades.

bugei is only a half hour from me and the guys that runt he shipping there are a crack up so as soon as I hear the new series can be viewed I'll run on down there too.

take either one of those, slap on a mokko tanto tsuba and I'm
    ready to go with it.

keep in touch on what you end up going with, especially if you refit any part of it~

Smile Heres a few that have made me look at production katana in a different light

Well heres a few off the top of my head :

Jerry's Bugei Dragonfly remounted by Paul Loatman

Aaron Justice Dynasty Forge satsuma IV

Chris Osbournes Cicada Forge shogyusha

Skip Gardner 9260 cheness bare blade full remount ( the most comfortable tsuka ive handled to date , wonderful shaping )

Aaron Justice & Adam Colemans repolished Bugei Samurai

and last but not least - this was one of the first remounted katana I drooled over when all I owned was a cold steel chisa and I first discovered SFI : -

Don Nelsons 1st Generation Hanwei musashi - reworked by Keith Larman

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=19682

Hmm

I used one of the Cheness O-katana for kata for a while, and it was nice to practice with occasionally but I prefer my Tea Culture katana above all my others.

The fittings are quite nice, and the weight is just where I want it (not too heavy, not too light).

-Matt

For length/handling and "Prettiness", my DF O-Katana.

For cutting, my Wind and Thunder!
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

My Fav

Well.. I am going to say that My Choices are , in Order:
    The Everest Katana by Himalayan Imports
    And 2nd: Kris Cutlery Katana 29 II

Both of these swords are made with differentially hardened 5160 steel.

I know some people may consider them more as "Katana Like Objects", however I am very Happy with the Balance, heft, and feel of the Everest Katanas in particular.
    I'll try and post some pics soon.

Here is a link to the Everest Katana:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/sword.html

And the Kris Katana:

http://kriscutlery.com/documents/japanese.html

Actually, I’m using a Last Legend Bear, “customed” in more parts: tsuka more short, tsuba e fuchi Edo period, ecc.
    Selected at first, for some my emotive aspects of the martial practice, and then for her strong weight.
    To day, I ordered a Butouken (MAS) L6 custom: all an other thing, just to close my emotive circle and to use a light sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward S. View Post
    Well.. I am going to say that My Choices are , in Order:
    The Everest Katana by Himalayan Imports
    And 2nd: Kris Cutlery Katana 29 II

Both of these swords are made with differentially hardened 5160 steel.

I know some people may consider them more as "Katana Like Objects", however I am very Happy with the Balance, heft, and feel of the Everest Katanas in particular.
    I'll try and post some pics soon.

Here is a link to the Everest Katana:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/sword.html

And the Kris Katana:

http://kriscutlery.com/documents/japanese.html
    everest katana - agree katana like object.
    Last edited by Farid Sheikh; 03-19-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    "Budo is Technology"

everest katana ...QUITE an eyesore...a new low.

My favorite production katana is the Hanwei Tori! A beautiful
    swedish powdered steel sword that you can pick up for a reasonable price. Also, doesnt Paul Chen make Bugei as well? Why are they so pricey compared to Hanwei, if they are made by the same forge?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast